Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 05-03-2011, 03:44 PM
Top Dog

Default Caucasian Ovtcharka

My husband is overseas as most of you know, and he has a dog over there that they believe is a CO. I have always liked the breed, and thought that perhaps in the future we may be in a situation to own one. If it ever does happen it will be WAY in the future. Like 10-20 years. He is now very interested in them though, and has talked about importing this dog (which would cost an arm and a leg) when he comes home.

SO, I would like to know opinions on them or if anyone has any experience. I mean any at all. They are a very large breed and have the potential to really hurt someone if not properly raised and it is not a breed that I would take on lightly. I just want to hear from some people who may have more experience than me. (I met ONE)

How are they with smaller animals/children? Do they tend to be DA? Are they good with strangers if socialized? What tests would you want to see a breeder of CO doing, and what would you look for their breeding stock to be proven in? You know, the normal questions.

I read an older thread but it didn't say much...
Old 05-03-2011, 03:56 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Good with kids, sure, if they are their own kids.

DA, you betcha. They don't take kindly to anyone or anything outside of their circle.

Good with strangers if socialized? Nope. Unless you get a badly bred, watered down CO. Which might be what you want. Real CO will not tolerate strangers, socialized or not.

I would like to see if they have any health checks, I would prefer a working line and a breeder who is honest and forthright about their breed and their dogs.

I have dealt with a few over the years, they're nice dogs considering it all.

Are you sure you want their aggression? Have you considered a leonberger? With a leo you get size, fur, and a nice pleasant demeanor.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:20 PM
Top Dog

They often get along with dogs in their family, but certainly not with dogs outside the family. Or people outside the family. They're more serious than most LBGs, as far as distrust of strangers go. Almost like a fila, in a way, though also quite different.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 05-03-2011, 04:21 PM
BRT - "the black watch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilahRoot View Post
How are they with smaller animals/children? Do they tend to be DA? Are they good with strangers if socialized?
I've only met a few myself, but have read extensively about them for many years now, and have spoken with a number of breeders. With the BRT having some Ovcharka in it, I felt it important to find out all I could, to better understand all aspects of the breed in which we were interested.

Although I'm sure there are breeders working to soften the C.O., this was not a breed developed to be a "family pet" (by any stretch of the imagination)!!! This is a serious flock guardian, bred for centuries to go to extremes to protect its flock. And you and your family will become the dog's flock. It will defend you with its life.

The C.O. requires extensive and ongoing socialization - far more so than any more common breed of which you can think. Threats, real or imagined, will be dealt with "quite harshly". It won't matter whether the threat has two legs, or four. The C.O. should be gr8 with your kids, and your other pets (as long as they don't challenge). If well-socialized, a C.O. should be tolerant of strangers with whom you are comfortable.

That now infamous National Geographic special has demonised the breed ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EujeBI2edis
However, I know of a number of very well-respected breeders who readily admit that the show was actually, for the most part, quite accurate. These are not demons; they are simply what they were bred to be ... serious ("serious" by old world standards) defenders of their flocks!

There is a lot of information on line about the C.O. This really is a remarkable breed, but saying they're not for everyone is an understatement. I would strongly suggest you do a lot of research and determine if this is a dog with which you want to share your lives! If so, you will be thrilled. If not, the dog will end up in rescue, or worse.

Best of luck!
Old 05-03-2011, 04:49 PM
Taxiderpy

There's a HUGE range of variation within the breed. A lot of people also use the name interchangeably with Central Asian shepherd, even though it's a different "type". Overall they're more of a landrace LGD type with some lines being bred for dog fighting, some for extreme dislike of strangers, some for livestock tending, some for wolf chomping, etc. If he's fallen in love with this individual dog you're best off evaluating what that specific dog is like and deciding if he's a good fit for your family at this time.

Planet Molosser on this forum breeds CAS, and would be the perfect person to go to with questions about them. She's involved with molosser rescue pretty extensively, and if I remember rightly she's also the president of the American breed club?
Old 05-03-2011, 05:17 PM
*Now with Snark*

A C.O. is a powerful breed designed to be left on it's own to defend flocks from bears and wolves in horrible environmental conditions.

It is not a house pet. A half acre lot is not enough yard. A city or suburbs is a poor idea for a dog like this.

This is not a dog who will welcome strangers into your home or is a dog you can go to the park with. If he decides something is a threat, you're not going to be able to physically stop him on a leash.

If your way of life matches a CO by all means get one. Few people actually have a life style where they'd want a large estate guardian type dog or a serious livestock guardian.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:42 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat09Tails View Post
A C.O. is a powerful breed designed to be left on it's own to defend flocks from bears and wolves in horrible environmental conditions.

It is not a house pet. A half acre lot is not enough yard. A city or suburbs is a poor idea for a dog like this.

This is not a dog who will welcome strangers into your home or is a dog you can go to the park with. If he decides something is a threat, you're not going to be able to physically stop him on a leash.

If your way of life matches a CO by all means get one. Few people actually have a life style where they'd want a large estate guardian type dog or a serious livestock guardian.
Good post!
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:19 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

If you get one that meets the breed standard for temperament, it would be a poor idea to have strangers over, or your childrens friends. I wouldn't turn my back on one.

I was on a forum where a woman had what amounted to a poor representation of the breed. It's characteristics were watered down, so it wasn't an issue in the suburbs. Only problem was she kept flaunting that that was what the breed was supposed to be like. I hope no one went out and contemplated one based on her dog, but you never know.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 05-03-2011, 06:57 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Are you sure you want their aggression? Have you considered a leonberger? With a leo you get size, fur, and a nice pleasant demeanor.
I have considered a leo. I like leonbergers quite a bit and have more experience with the breed than I do COs. They are definitely on the short list.

Like I said this is a dog that we wouldn't even CONSIDER until 10-20 years in the future. We aren't exactly social butterflies either, so having to worry about it lashing out at visitors would not be an issue. (The dog would be well socialized from an early age, but we don't have many visitors. Just to clarify) At that point in our lives our children will be full grown and out of the house. We also plan on buying a LOT of property and having a farm. Not a giant farm in terms of number of animals, but you get the idea.

This puppy that he has over there is very friendly with all of the american soldiers, but will attack the locals if they try to get on the FOB. It is very protective, and in addition to looking like a CO puppy they were told that it was a CO when their medic purchased him off of a local.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:36 PM
Top Dog

Those really aren't a dog for me. If I wanted big and a guardian, I'd just get a great pyr. Who cares if it's white. it's big, has a big bark and buy they aren't as nasty to everything as a OC can be and a lot of times are.