Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Rescue Forum

Old 10-28-2004, 04:45 PM
aka RedHotBabe

Default Petfinder

www.petfinder.com

It's a very good website to find shelter dogs in your area by breed, gender, age, or size. The classifieds section is also a good place to check for dogs listed by state and. That's where I found my Duke.
Old 10-30-2004, 08:05 PM
Save a life: Rescue

You are right, RedHotDobe. It's a VERY good sight. It has a great forum page, too...all the animal shelter's in my area post their dogs there.
Love and Spoil Your Pet
Old 01-10-2005, 08:58 PM
DILLIGAF?

That is the site the shelter I go to uses to put their dogs for adoption on, and it is so easy to post them on there, you just e-mail them a picture and information about the dog and in two or three days its no the website.
Old 01-10-2005, 10:24 PM
Island dweller

I love that website but I don't like the forum at all. Everyone there is so agressive and against anything they varies from the general opinion. And even though what they argue about is usually good advice it's often so tedious to read through the threads where people are getting attacked for bad decisions (which they are trying to remedy) or whatever. Obviously, it's really annoyed me.
It's a good place for advice though. I don't hang around and chat anymore.
Saje
Old 01-10-2005, 11:47 PM
Island dweller

Sure, but if a little girl has three names that she likes for her new pup but can't decide and asks for help do people really need to drill her about where she got her puppy, why she didn't get it from a rescue, why her parents didn't drive her to another state to pick up one of the puppies on petfinder, why she isn't more responsible, was the breeder a responsible breeder...? She's just a young girl.

She just wants help with the name for the new pup that she loves a lot. Vote or don't vote. Leave the "educational" ranting to the threads that are looking for it.

You can't help people (and their animals) by offending them, closing their minds and making them leave. You can't MAKE people learn anything unless they want to. All you can do is provide them with information and hope that they get the most from it and make good, informed decisions.

There are plenty of parents who have learned that from their grown children. All you can do is advise and hope they will have an open-mind and listen.

I never said that rescue groups don't have a hard job. They have a very difficult job. The people on petfinder do not all work at rescues. People that I talk to at rescues tend to be kind, they understand that not everyone "gets" the issues of supply and demand and how that affects animals. They tend to gently educate and help people be the best owners they can be. I appreciate them a lot and I do my part to help our local shelter.

Petfinder is a great organization. It's great that it is across North America and that it has helped so many animals. The forum provides lots of good information and advice for interested people. I just find it to be too harsh at times and don't find it to be a fun forum to visit with other animal lovers.
Old 01-11-2005, 02:07 PM
Island dweller

If you truly want to educate you must learn how to be an educator. I come from a family of teachers and have taught myself. I know first hand what it is like to teach a difficult topic. I could lecture for hours or I could SHOW them. When people have a clear, step-by-step understanding they are more likely to remember and re-educate. It does get repetative, explaining the same thing over and over to each individual, but every time they "get it." It's really a great feeling.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:49 PM
Island dweller

My point above was exactly that. YOu can't make people learn anything they don't want to. You can treat them like crap if you want to but you won't get better results. If anything they'll probably just shut down to all advice and choose to do things their own way.

I'm not talking about pussy-footing around an issue. There is a middle ground. Some of the people at Petfinder are super nice and informative. Some of them are naive and not-educated about animal welfare. And some of them get on a soapbox and rant to hear themselves talk.

I know you're going to do what you want because that is your personality. My point was that people who go to the petfinder forums can get great advice there but they may also get chewed out for not being more supportive of rescues.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:52 PM
Island dweller

My point above was exactly that. YOu can't make people learn anything they don't want to. You can treat them like crap if you want to but you won't get better results. If anything they'll probably just shut down to all advice and choose to do things their own way.

I'm not talking about pussy-footing around an issue. There is a middle ground. I do not pussyfoot around. I am very direct and to-the-point but I am rarely insulting. I can't think of a time when someone has turned and walked away from me because they didn't want to hear what I have to say. My job is in communication and I'm very good at it.

Some of the people at Petfinder are super nice and informative. Some of them are naive and not-educated about animal welfare. And some of them get on a soapbox and rant to hear themselves talk.

I know you're going to do what you want because that is your personality. And I'm glad that there are people like you who are such activists.

My point was that people who go to the petfinder forums can get great advice there but they may also get chewed out for not being more supportive of rescues.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:35 PM
Top Dog

If you go to yahoo classifieds you can also find some doggies that people are giving away because they can't take care of it.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:35 PM
Island dweller

I haven't been there yet. Good to know. Thanks