Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 05-02-2011, 09:33 PM
Top Dog

Default Recommend A Breed

Thought I would make one of these threads for the first time, as I'd like to hear suggestions from board members who have had more experience with a greater variety of breeds than I have.

My next dog WILL be a German Shepherd, there is no doubt, but after that, I am interested in owning other breeds as well. Here is what I would like in a dog:

- Medium to Large sized (between 40 - 120 lbs)

- High drive, but with the ability to easily settle. I do not want a dog with nervous energy or a dog that is constantly "GO GO GO". I need a dog that can quickly switch off, content to lie on the couch when it is hailing outside, or when I am sick.

- I appreciate a dog that makes me laugh, but overall I prefer serious dogs. I am not a big fan of "bouncy", perpetually goofy dogs. Emphasis on "perpetually", I like a dog that can be silly, just do not want it 24/7.

- I can deal with a relatively vocal dog, but one that can be easily trained to be quiet. Barking when people knock on the door, vocalizing to demand rewards, etc. is not a problem, but my neighbors used to own a Sheltie and that was too much for me.

- Low maintenance coat. I can deal with any amount of shedding, but would rather not have to take a dog to the groomer's regularly (bathe and brush the dog at home and be done with it).

- I cannot deal with excessive slobber. German Shepherd slobber is more than enough.

- I need the dog to be okay with children and cats.

- Handler/owner oriented, I do not want a dog that believes every person with a treat is his/her new best friend.

- Fairly biddable ("eager to please").

- I am okay with dealing with same sex aggression and a dog that does not do well at the dog park.

- I prefer a hard dog, not sure how well I would work with a soft tempered dog.

That's all I can think of right now. Breeds I'm currently considering, besides German Shepherds, of course, are

- Beaucerons
- Mudis (my exception to the size requirement)
- English Shepherds (thanks, SitStay )

Breeds I have already looked at are

- Doberman Pinschers
- Rottweilers
- Australian Shepherds
- Border Collies (probably too soft in temperament? That is what I have been told)

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:24 PM
Not a Border Collie

English Shepherds, but we've already talked about this, LOL. Quinn definitely suits your list!

Quinn - English Shepherd

Old 05-02-2011, 10:34 PM
Wild At Heart

A Lab, definitely. They NEVER want to be friend with anyone that might or might not have treats. And they are always 100% serious. LOL (just kidding, of course).

Though I haven't read much on them at all, English Shepherd was the first thing that popped into my mind.

Harleigh <3
Old 05-02-2011, 10:55 PM
Top Dog

Ridgeback? They aren't biddable in a traditional sense like a shepherd is, but I think if you bond with them they are pretty eager to please....but it is more of a partnership than it might be with other breeds.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 05-02-2011, 11:19 PM
Top Dog

I think the Dobe might be a good fit. You'll have to research breeders carefully of course, but I think you could get the perfect fit from the right breeder.
They are really nice dogs, have you ever interacted with one?

Beaucerons are pretty awesome. They are double coated and shed like any other double coated breed. And they slobber like none other. Big nasty strings of it during Schutzhund training. And all the ones I've met were super friendly to everyone.

The least stranger friendly dogs I've met have been working BC's (they usually are just oblivious to people besides THEIR people... my parent's current dog is only really affectionate to family, close friends, and children) and my trainer's Malinois. Both breeds really need a full time job though. I've met some BC's that could chill nicely inside and some that that was just no way jose.

RR's are usually super friendly unless its a creeper. They can be VERY stubborn and independant minded though, but their food drive sure helps with that. Generally very high exercise requirements too. They do love to kick back and snuggle though. If you don't mind a hound on your chest.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:15 AM
Taxiderpy

A rough or smooth collie from good working lines could be a really good fit for you. Logan's sire Loki and his sister Gala fit every single one of your criteria.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:40 AM
BusterLove

Australian Cattle Dog?

Hard dogs but an extremely rewarding breed to own if your the right person. I adore them but doubt I'll ever take on anything other than an adult mix without a true ACD temperament.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:08 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox View Post
- Beaucerons
- Mudis (my exception to the size requirement)
- English Shepherds (thanks, SitStay )

Breeds I have already looked at are

- Doberman Pinschers
- Rottweilers
- Australian Shepherds
- Border Collies (probably too soft in temperament? That is what I have been told)

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
I have been intrigued by Mudik (and Pumik) for awhile now. I like them in theory but everything I read says they bark. A LOT. And most agility videos I have seen of them seems to support that. This is a pretty good article:
About CS and the Mudi Polona***039;s

One breed I have really been surprised by is the Entlebucher Mountain Dog. I have seen a couple in agility and quite a few Youtube videos, as well as meeting them at conformation shows. They are really good performance dogs! Looking at them, I never expected they'd be such good performance dogs (they look like a smaller Swissy). Supposed to be great companions too.

FAQ

YouTube - Finn AKC JWW.MPG
Old 05-03-2011, 09:11 AM
Top Dog

What about a Weim?
Old 05-03-2011, 09:44 AM
Kat/Oak AKA The Nice One

Before I read your list of dogs you were looking at, I though English Shepherds would be a good fit. But then again, I may just be looking for an excuse to get more pictures of them :P

But yeah, I think from what I hear from SitStay, that they would fit almost all of your requirements
The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice-versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant.