Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 10-26-2005, 05:34 PM
malinois lover

Hi GSDMom, well I can say that I have never heard of that before but I'm willing to give it a try. She could use a bath before winter anyway. I'm not ready to give up on this situation yet although I know that placing her would be very easy. It's funny, my 9 year old male and the puppy play together fantastically. After I saw that I realized that I needed to try to make this work, the older male is my soulmate, a wonderful dog. My 5 year old female doesn't play nice outside, she gets too "turned on". She's a very high drive girl, probably should have been a working dog.

I appreciate all of the suggestions and will work my way through them.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:34 AM
Puppy Dog

One last item to suggest, be calm when introducing. Take 3 deep breaths and act as though this is the most natural thing in the world. Most dogs pick up on their owners stress and will pinpoint it to the newest environmental change = puppy.
Muzzle, neutral territory, calm owner walk around and keep in mind that the older female can body slam the new pup, but, she can't bite her. Let them work it out and set their new boundries. You'll probably see the puppy roll over onto her back and expose her belly to you older girl. This may go on for a while and the older female may growl and stand over the pup every time she rolls over. Very normal behavior. Once the older female has established her self and her superiority over the pup things should be fine. I would take the muzzle off when it seems the older female starts ignoring the pup, or goes into play bow.
I have done this numerous times, females are quite easy to get along. Most times the older female can be grouchy for awhile, but, she's only trying to prove a point
Old 10-27-2005, 06:12 PM
malinois lover

This sounds like good advice! I do try to stay calm but I'm sure they are picking up on a little of my unspoken apprehension. I am going to wait at least another week before I get them together again since the puppy was just spayed. I can see little changes in the body posturing of my older female and I think she is relaxing around the puppy a little. They can get nose to nose at the gate but usually the puppy knows to stay back away from it. Luckily neither girl wants to jump the gate.

New minor problem with the puppy, since coming home from the vets she doesn't want to go in her crate. I'm thinking that she was traumatized by my leaving her at the vets and of course she was kenneled there. We are working gently with the crate now and I did get her to eat her dinner in there. I got in and encouraged her to get in with me while she ate.... geez it's just like raising kids!