Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 10-20-2005, 12:41 PM
malinois lover

Unhappy Any suggestions?

I have belgian malinois - 3 at the moment. One is a 6 month old foster, very gentle and submissive, definitely NOT the problem. I also have a 9 year old male, same temperment as the puppy, not a problem. Then there's my 5 year old female malinois (she would be considered sharp). She is not accepting the puppy into the household. I've been introducing them gently but I still would not trust her around the puppy if I didn't have her on a leash. If I can't get this resolved I'll have to place the puppy. I'm looking for others suggestions. Thanks!!
Old 10-20-2005, 11:01 PM
But please, call me Barb

Is the new pup female?
If so, your answer may be to find a different foster for the pup.
Often females just don't get along

If not, I'd probably crate the pup and just keep up with slow introductions
Old 10-21-2005, 09:10 AM
malinois lover

Yes, the foster pup is a female. I know it is hard sometimes to have two or more females together. Still, I was kind of hoping that we could work it out somehow... Thanks for your suggestion though.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:43 PM
Puppy Dog

Some dogs are going to be much more aggressive on a leash or in a crate being introduced (and yes, cage aggression is very common - take a walk through a kennel and witness normally good natured dogs).
What I would do is take the puppy to a nuetral place. let the young pup run around in say a ball feild. Bring in your older female with a basket muzzle on. Let her loose in the feild and let them work it out. The older girl may be so preoccupied with the muzzle that she will have a chance to get used to the smell of the new pup and smell the pups "regions" haha. This is the best way, also some people make a mistake when they introduce dogs that they put the dogs on leashes and let them spot each other from a few feet face on. That is never a good idea, dogs need to smell the privates of each other to get familiar. Females are not hard to introduce and especially if you have a really easy going young one. The older female may set some rules for the younger pup but, normally they sound worse than they actually are. Normal dogs will try not to physically harm a young dog. Perhaps even give the older dog some rescue remedy to ease her before being introduced.
good luck
Old 10-22-2005, 06:00 PM
malinois lover

Thanks for the advice. Where can I get rescue remedy? I've heard of that before and had been thinking of giving it a try. Also, the muzzle idea is a good one. I'll let you know how we make out!
Old 10-23-2005, 09:47 AM
Puppy Dog

I found rescue remedy at my local health food store. It was in with the liquid tentures.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:14 PM
malinois lover

Well I bought Rescue Remedy tonight but won't get to try it for a few days. The puppy is at the vet as she was just spayed today. I won't be allowing her near my other female dog for a while. I'm ready to try this though when Lacy is healed from her spay. Thanks again for the suggestion. Looks like I can try this when I'm stressed too! <grin>
Old 10-24-2005, 09:25 PM
But please, call me Barb

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddogdesigns
Looks like I can try this when I'm stressed too! <grin>
I have a friend that uses it for her dog and herself!!

I wish you best of luck with your dogs, go slow and hopefully the two will settle in with each other.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:56 AM
malinois lover

Thanks for the encouraging words. Lacy, the puppy, came home from the vet yesterday (she was just spayed). So it will be at least 10 days before I attempt to put them together.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:14 AM
GSDMom

Default Any suggestions?

you are going to think this is crazy but could be the smell of your new pup
bath the pup and put her close to your 9 year old male (try to get his scent on her)
your 5 year old female might just be rejecting the smell from your puppies previous inviroment - hey it's worth a try

Last edited by GSDMom; 10-26-2005 at 08:15 AM. Reason: spelling