Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 04-26-2011, 06:31 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyfalcon View Post
He said Belgian, but it was brindle, so Dutch shepherd probably got in there somewhere.

I really like the smaller end of the size scale. They could be the perfect hiking breed, if I could ever live with one the other 99.9% of the time. Mid sized agile, a bit of defensiveness would be fine, I really do not relish the though of coming back to someone breaking into the car at the trailhead.

I need to stop thinking about "Next Dog." At least until I stop changing climates every 5 years
Ah, a mix then not a malinois. They're great hikers, if you can handle the time before and after. :-P
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:46 PM
Fishies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
Someone recently called an agility facility here and said he had a 120lb Belgian Shepherd. The owner of the place has a Mal and asked if it was a furry black dog. Guy said no. So she asked if he was brown and what sort of coat did it have. Guy said "yeah he's brown and has a short coat". So she told him to bring the dog out because she was intrigued by a 120lb Mal. Dog was an oversized GSD. And when she asked if the dog had papers and if so, what breed was on them. He said "the papers say German Shepherd but when they get to a certain size they're called Belgian Shepherds" LOL Have also had more than one person tell me that long haired German Shepherds are called Belgian Shepherds/Sheepdogs. Not sure where people get these ideas!
In AKC land, black long haired Belgians are the Belgian Sheepdog.

So you get someone who looks at a book, and sees the long haired Belgian dogs, (can't pronounce Terv) and thinks they look like long haired GSDs. Then they actually see a long haired GSD, and it must be a Belgian.

Now, most long haired GSDs seem to be oversized. So clearly, they are GSDs until they are big and hairy.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:24 PM
Top Dog

my long coat GSD is a whopping 58lbs
Old 04-26-2011, 07:29 PM
Not a Border Collie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniquityBelgians View Post
On the other hand, I had a little 21 inch groen female who was never more than 17 or 18 lb at a good weight. She was very fine boned, and though she was only 1.5 inches shorter than my other female I had at the time, she seemed a great deal more petite. She was completely different lines.
She sounds like my perfect size, LOL! Do you have any pictures of her? She sounds really cool.

Quinn - English Shepherd

Old 04-26-2011, 10:56 PM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post

All that said, if the dog you saw at the park was brindle it wasn't a Mal or at least not a purebred. There is a lot of mixing that goes on with some of the working lines, so it is possible the dog was sold as a Mal but had a different breeds or breeds in her pedigree.
It was most likely a Dutch Shepherd perhaps a DSx Mal.... the dog should have the brindle body with a black mask on the face... nice dogs, if I do say so myself.... I know of DS breedings that throw the fawn color but depending on the breeder they are often sold as either .... the Mal can throw a brindle but it is considered a DSx. Again breeders might try to call it a DS... I can name one/two breeders that will do so.

80lbs if I am not mistaken is large for the Mal. as it is for the DS. Gwen is a solid 60lbs of muscle.. ugh.. try to take that at top speed running.

I only hope that I can become the person that my dogs think I am.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:32 AM
BSL Can Be Beaten

Mali's size can depend on whether their lines had Great Dane injected in them or not (this is not very lately; like 10-ish + years ago). The GD was put in to bring down the hyperactivity; and it probably worked; since the only truly FAT Malinois I've ever seen; have been the type that go back to the GD -- I don't do Mals; so I can't tell you which lines. I've seen the 30-40 pd. Malis; they are kinda cool, but small for manwork; but the frenetic attack they bring; would pretty much stop anyone out of a suit. I've seen some nice Shmali's; I'm not sure what colors they end up in; probably whatever from both breeds -- the one's I've seen look like brawnier Mals in color and conformation; head is different. They definitely could bring the size up and still look like a Mal.

Jennifer Sider First Dog Off the Porch Custom Collars
Mom to Mitchell, Avalon, Ninja, Jiggs and Misty
Life is forever and everything is just an experience on the road to enlightenment.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:53 PM
Professional Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbullpony View Post
Mali's size can depend on whether their lines had Great Dane injected in them or not (this is not very lately; like 10-ish + years ago). The GD was put in to bring down the hyperactivity; and it probably worked; since the only truly FAT Malinois I've ever seen; have been the type that go back to the GD -- I don't do Mals; so I can't tell you which lines. I've seen the 30-40 pd. Malis; they are kinda cool, but small for manwork; but the frenetic attack they bring; would pretty much stop anyone out of a suit. I've seen some nice Shmali's; I'm not sure what colors they end up in; probably whatever from both breeds -- the one's I've seen look like brawnier Mals in color and conformation; head is different. They definitely could bring the size up and still look like a Mal.

There are mixed breeds being sold as Malinois that probably do have Dane behind them, but they aren't Malinois any more than Bandogs and American Bullies are APBTs.

It doesn't even make sense to breed in Great Dane to bring down reactivity. If I wanted to mellow such a trait in a line of Malinois, I'd breed to Malinois that aren't as reactive, or even a dog of another Belgian variety. If I wanted bulk, too, I might consider GSD. Great Dane is a ridiculous choice.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:02 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyfalcon View Post

I really like the smaller end of the size scale. They could be the perfect hiking breed, if I could ever live with one the other 99.9% of the time.)
There is no reason that a good Belgian of any variety should be hard to live with if you are providing enough exercise and mental stimulation. There are things about them that make them not the easiest dogs in the world but they really should be able to chill in the house. Of course, not all can but that is a good reason to research lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sit Stay View Post
She sounds like my perfect size, LOL! Do you have any pictures of her? She sounds really cool.
You would love Tru's puppies (Black Belgians) Tru is a small bitch (21.5") from one of my litters. She had an accidental litter last summer of 11 puppies which I took and placed at 9 weeks old. They are a year old now and are pretty much all about Tru's size, even the males! I always joke that they are "miniatures". This is Seven from that litter lure coursing last weekend, I think he's about 21" and 35lbs: https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/video/video.php?v=10150228665785850&oid=287557245498&com ments

He's also in this Flyball class video (first appearance at I think about :30), along with my Whimsy, who is about 22": YouTube - Flyball Beginer Class YABTC

Quote:
Originally Posted by stafinois View Post
There are mixed breeds being sold as Malinois that probably do have Dane behind them, but they aren't Malinois any more than Bandogs and American Bullies are APBTs.
Honestly, I think more mixing goes on with working line Mals than is ever admitted to. I have seen dogs which were supposedly purebred Mals who were obviously not. I'm certainly not saying this is the case with all working line Mals but I think it is not all that uncommon either.

I remember hearing in the 90s about some Mal lines having Dane in them and wondering why anyone would do that. I questioned if it was true or not but during that time, I did see some rather Dane-y looking Mals.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:58 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
my long coat GSD is a whopping 58lbs
My mostly GSD poofy one is 62lbs.
And I find it sad that the Sibe/GSD mix is smaller (50lbs) than most oversized byb Sibes out there.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:43 PM
Not a Border Collie

Aleron she sounds totally my type - I really tend to like the little ones! I watched Seven's lure coursing video - he seems to be having a blast! And of course I LOVE Whimsy - I frequently show Rally videos of her to my mom, haha.

Quinn - English Shepherd