Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 04-23-2011, 11:11 AM
Top Dog

Default Border Terrier vs. Westie

I'm pretty certain I've narrowed my second dog breed choices (that will end up happening within a year or two, probably).

If I don't end up with a Silky or Yorkie (which is still highly possible), it's pretty much between a Border Terrier and a Westie, I think.

Now, I've only met probably two BT's in my life. Lately, I've been meeting a TON of Westies and it's making me want one. But some of them that I meet seem a bit TOO "terrier" for me... From what I've been reading about BT's, their personality is basically like Jackson is. Enough terrier to have fun and be cool but laid back enough to not display much DR/DA and seems to be friendly in general, etc.

Something about BT's is calling me to them but I really wish I could meet a few more of them to get a feel for them first. I met two are the dog park who were really cool.

What would you say is the main difference between a BT and a Westie, if any?

I've been exploring some breeder options. Since BT's are a somewhat more 'rare' breed, I know sometimes the wait lists can take a while so I'd kind of like to find a breeder that I really like and talk to them.

I like this kind of BT... this would be my 'ideal' BT

Would this be considered 'grizzle and tan' or 'blue and tan'?

Brit & Jackson

Old 04-23-2011, 11:31 AM
Top Dog

All the BT's I have met have had dog aggression issues, but that is quite likely down to owners/bad breeders (which I know you wouldn't be!). Our family friends have one, he is elderly now, but has always been a lovely friendly dog (except with other dogs, especially greyhounds due to be attacked by one as a puppy). He's very laid back and eager to please. Loads of energy, even now, at nearly 13, he still goes hiking and mountain climbing! BT's seem very common here, litters advertised every week in the paper, and I see them a lot, although not as common as Westie's.

I personally prefer the Westie, but that's just me. There's so many Westie's here, we pretty much fall over them but they are all lovely.

My Photos
Old 04-23-2011, 11:34 AM
Resident fainting goat

lol well personally, when researching a breed.. I love checking out Youtube! Kind of like seeing the dogs "in action"
breed all about it/dogs101 are pretty useful lol

here is the border terrier..
YouTube - Breed All About It - Border Terrier

and westie..
YouTube - West Highland White Terrier

I would also check out their breed clubs!

The Border Terrier Club of America Border terrier club of america, FULL OF INFO as well as breeders and stuff

Westie Club of Americaand westie club
Old 04-23-2011, 12:12 PM
Top Dog

Sorry Fransheska
but IME those shows spout a lot of nonsense & even outright false information
Old 04-23-2011, 12:29 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops2 View Post
Sorry Fransheska
but IME those shows spout a lot of nonsense & even outright false information
Oh they probably do, and under no circumstance are those shows "real research".. although I've never seen one that was really THAT BAD, i mean, a bit misinformed and vague lol but not downright terrible

but still,I consider videos and those like it a chance to see the dogs in action and at play, it kind of helps you get a feel for the dogs if you can see them in live action instead of just reading about them
Old 04-23-2011, 12:43 PM
Top Dog

just curious, have you considered cairn terriers? they seem to be very similar to westies so I was just wondering.

My Boys
Chowder: 9 year old Chow mix
Eli: 2 year old Lab/Shar pei/Corgi mystery mutt
Old 04-23-2011, 02:55 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

I don't know much about either, but I think Border Terriers are some the CUTEST dogs EVER!!!!

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 04-23-2011, 05:01 PM
Top Dog

Border Terrier seem like they are a bit less "terrier-y" than Westies IME, a bit more oriented to their people and less hard headed. They tend to be pretty well at performance stuff and were pretty popular Flyball dogs at a point (before sport mixes were as widely bred for height dogs). I have one in my Intermediate class right now and she's a really fun little dog. She's kinda squishy (submissive but friendly and sweet) with dogs and people, very devoted to her owner and very smart. And she has an adorable face
Old 04-23-2011, 05:11 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
Border Terrier seem like they are a bit less "terrier-y" than Westies IME, a bit more oriented to their people and less hard headed. They tend to be pretty well at performance stuff and were pretty popular Flyball dogs at a point (before sport mixes were as widely bred for height dogs). I have one in my Intermediate class right now and she's a really fun little dog. She's kinda squishy (submissive but friendly and sweet) with dogs and people, very devoted to her owner and very smart. And she has an adorable face
See, I have found the complete opposite! I have never met a terrier-y Westie, yet all the BT's I have met have had a very strong terrier instinct in them.

Maybe its a country thing?

My Photos
Old 04-23-2011, 05:11 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

If you are looking for a terrier, but don't one on the extreme side I would suggest looking into the Schnauzers as well.