Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 10-19-2005, 03:41 PM
rottiegirl

The breeder also says that she producess "rare" blue eyed pit bulls, but that is a huge fault in the standard. She says that the dogs have great temperments. She also admited that her dogs dont have much of a drive, but pits are supposed to have a really high drive. Her dogs look very fat, their stomachs hang! I dont think it is right to ignore the standard when you are a breeder, even if your dogs have a good temperment. How could a person call their dog a pit bull when it doesnt resemble one at all?
Old 10-19-2005, 04:43 PM
Naturally Natural

i agree with what most have said --
what betters the breed is breeding a TOTAL dog, regardless of what the breed should look like, or what job it performs.

total dogs are healthy, structurally correct, long lived, and have proper temperaments, as well as in some cases, the ability to do work.

if your dog is horribly oversized, it simply will not hold up - its not standard, there are health concerns that come with oversized dogs, and it sure wont be able to work, not long.

most breed standards are describing the ideal of what that dog should be, and like RD said, it wont be a dog that cannot do the breeds original function (if it had one).

if you start taking each dog and breeding purely what you want, what makes it that breed?

say i wanted dobes (since weve already brought that up) - but wanted longer fur, and a taller dog, and wanted heavier bone, and wanted a thicker chest, and a longer nose --

so what in the end would make that a doberman at all?
Old 10-19-2005, 05:05 PM
Top Dog

blue eyed pit bulls? IS She producing mutts?
Old 10-19-2005, 05:17 PM
rottiegirl

She says that her dogs are pure bred, and that they come from champions.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:31 PM
Twin 2.0

How is this even a question? Breed standards were put into place for a reason, so the dogs could do what they were intended to do, whether that be herding, hunting or lap dogs. Diverging from breed standards only proves that the person breeding has no business doing so, especially to the extent that they are breeding for recognized faults because they think they "look pretty".
Old 10-19-2005, 08:45 PM
rottiegirl

Quote:
How is this even a question? Breed standards were put into place for a reason, so the dogs could do what they were intended to do, whether that be herding, hunting or lap dogs. Diverging from breed standards only proves that the person breeding has no business doing so, especially to the extent that they are breeding for recognized faults because they think they "look pretty
Yeah, but I have talked to more than just one breeder, and they all say the same thing. They explain to me that a person does not have to fallow the standard if they dont want to. But I thought it was just wrong, so I asked for your opinions.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:48 PM
Twin 2.0

True, they don't have to follow it if they don't want to, but if they don't like what the breed standard is, then why are they breeding that type of dog?
Old 10-19-2005, 09:08 PM
rottiegirl

Quote:
True, they don't have to follow it if they don't want to, but if they don't like what the breed standard is, then why are they breeding that type of dog?
Exactly!! I told them that if they like bigger dogs, switch to a mastiff, american bull dog, rottie, or an am staff.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:15 PM
Are you dead yet?

Of course, nobody -has- to breed to the standard. They can all make their little deviations and label them as 'rare', that's what makes them irresponsible breeders.

I agree that if someone wants to breed for something so radically different than the breed they have, they probably have the wrong breed. But if they can't appreciate the value of the standard in a breeding program, then IMO they shouldn't be breeding. Period.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:19 PM
Top Dog

I agree to a certain point. When I got my 1st golden in 1949 the standard was different than today's in height and weight. When I started breeding I was in the middle standard ... when I stopped, I was at the high end. None of my Goldens were over the standard, but the show breeds were going shorter legs, lighter in color etc. I went by what the original standard was. Ch.Lorelei's Golden Rip ( my Point's sire) was a great big, dark boy and one of the first to be in the Golden Retriever Hall of fame in both bench , obedience and field work. Today he wouldn't even be recognized I bet.