Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 04-22-2011, 08:15 AM
Chihuahua Power!

Default Patio Surfaces

We're putting a patio in after we get home from vacation, either sometime this summer or early fall and I've been trying to get some ideas. We already have the general shape/idea planned out, and are leaving room to eventually add a pool if we decide to.

I'd like to have a cement slab laid down, and then put a surface on top of that. I was thinking either tiled or some sort of pebble surface. Has anyone here ever done something like this?

In Florida we can't put in a wooden patio because of rot... and I don't really want to put in fake wood.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 04-22-2011, 08:36 AM
petperson

Don't go with a pebble surface. You're going to be spending a lot of time barefoot. You want something pleasant to walk on, non-slippery, and easy to maintain, as I'm sure you already know. I'd go with tile or with some kind of concrete finish.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:44 AM
Top Dog

I like the idea of large, flagstone pavers with a low-growing ground cover in between, laid out in an irregular shape.

You don't like that Trex material to make a deck? I LOVE that stuff. No staining, no rot, no maintenance at all. It comes in different shades and even has inlays. I think it looks great, but very expensive. In my next house, that's what's going in on the covered front porch and a flagstone patio and walk-way like I described near it and in the back yard too. Along side and in between the flag stones where you walk will be some herbs so when they're stepped on, lovely scents will waft up.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-22-2011, 08:45 AM
Sport Model Pug

I have the pebble surface like this:

It's a bit rough on the feet but not terribly bad. They do have the pebble in tiny tiny little rocks instead fit really close and smooth but i find that type gets slick more than the other type.

You could do a textured concrete?

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 04-22-2011, 08:51 AM
Chihuahua Power!

Thanks for all of the ideas

Textured concrete was another thought as well. We had thought about pavers, but I'd rather not have to deal with them. I'd like to keep things semi maintenance free, and the thought of a certain red and white border collie who loves to play with bricks makes me think he'll make a game out of digging up the patio =/

I like the look of concrete/tile/stone better than wood, at least for my house. I just don't think the look of wood would fit in so well. That Trex fake wood is so expensive. For the cost of putting in one of those at the size we want (300 sq feet) it's just not worth it to us.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 04-22-2011, 08:54 AM
Top Dog

I would do the textured concrete, you can stain the concrete a color you like also.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:11 AM
Top Dog

Those are pretty Mandy. Yeah, that first one does look rough on the feet. We use to have an agragate concrete patio and it was indeed pinchy. I like that other one too.

There's something about infusing the garden into the patio that I like a lot...kind of the English "cottage garden" style. Natural stone is very expensive but sooo pretty.

Here's one with squares and regatangles and no ground cover in between:

"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-22-2011, 09:25 AM
Sport Model Pug

I love the look with the green between the tiles, but it's a pain to maintain. Slack even a bit and you've got overgrowth and loose tiles.

Maybe one day when i have my own sexy gardener/landscaping man to take care of my yard I'll have that type of patio.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 04-22-2011, 09:26 AM
My dog tickles my soul

We are actually currently putting in a patio ourselves. Well, my husband is. I can post pics of the whole process if you would like (I don't have the most recent pics with the pavers down off my camera yet).

I'll also let him know that you are interested. He has some online resources that he used to help the build that he would be able to share.

ETA: I forgot to mention, we chose to go with brick pavers, but they are the decorative kind that look like multiple bricks on one paver.

It's this style, although we used the "Autumn Blend" (reddish) color.
Shop Infinity 16"L x 12"W Tan/Black Durango Stone at Lowes.com

There are six different patterns of brick for each slab, so all together it has this nice, random-yet-elegant look.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:39 AM
Magic, motherf@%$*#!

We also have brick pavers... I am not a huge fan of the style that we have... and it's a huge pain to maintain.

If we ever re-do it (hopefully!), I'd love to have something with the natural stone that Dober posted... I love that cottage feel... even though it's still a pain to maintain. At least it won't look like I'm stuck in the 90's. LOL

ETA: You could do Flagstone poured in concrete (or whatever it is it gets poured in)? That would take care of certain dogs digging them up and you wouldn't have to fuss with stuff growing in between the pavers.