Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-19-2011, 10:49 PM
just call me Nilly

I'll be happy just to get a pet that I CAN name! Sierra kept the name she had pre-adoption, I didn't name Buddy, and I'm keeping the name that new-kitty comes with too (announcement pending once he arrives in the house). I named Nya, and being a huge name nerd, I look forward to naming future pets.

Julia: Mom to Sierra (adorable mutt - Basset x Cattledog is our best guess these days) Buddy (noisy but awesome DSH tabby cat) and Carter (adorable human baby) RIP Nya 1994(?) - 2010
Old 04-19-2011, 11:10 PM
Twin 2

Traveler was Traveler before the breed was even set. I remember when I first joined I noticed Baxter's Traveler and just loved the name and it stuck with me. Then I was thinking of an ACD and I thought the name sounded like it would fit a rustic, hardy herding breed. Then the ACD turned into a Koolie and the Koolie ended up coming from Australia and it was more apropos.

Though, now everyone thinks I named him that because he traveled

I do have a decent list of names on the back burner. Zhaan for a blue merle female, Roo (Kangaroo) for a red girl, Didgie (Didgeridoo ) for either to name a few and then I have to work my way through Firefly cast

But, I don't have one set in stone until the dog is there, may have a great idea of what it will be but I won't make it final until I have the dog
Old 04-19-2011, 11:54 PM
Not a Border Collie

Linds we can both have Roo_____s!

Quinn - English Shepherd

Old 04-19-2011, 11:55 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by colliewog View Post
I go through 20 names before I get the dog, and usually 2-3 more once I get the puppy *and never use any of the first 20 names I had chosen*. lol
This. lol
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:57 PM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sit Stay View Post
Linds we can both have Roo_____s!
Yes!! Both named after animals. I like it!

And Rooster is the cutest name ever by the way
Old 04-20-2011, 12:02 AM
Not a Border Collie

Thank you! Named after a well known horse, just like Quinn was. I like this theme! It seems all my favorite ES breeders are having puppies this summer - I want one sooo bad.

Quinn - English Shepherd

Old 04-20-2011, 12:21 AM
BusterLove

I know... I have puppy fever already. Partly because Quinn is in full flight of being a teenager and is trying to flip me off more often.

Hopefully in a few months we'll have another baby here and I'll just be glad it isn't me that has to do the 5am toilet breaks.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:00 AM
Are you dead yet?

Each dog that I've named in advance has wound up with a different name when they came home.

Ripley was originally going to be Pepe. Dakota was originally going to be Bruiser. Eve (prior to being born) was going to be Spark or Tyler.

Wink was Verde before I met her, Poquita before she came home with me, Wink within a week of coming home, and now she is only ever called Wink when I am angry with her. 99% of the time she is called Roo. Poor confused dog.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:08 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
Though, now everyone thinks I named him that because he traveled.
*raises hand* The real explanation is way more interesting, glad I've learned it!

I'm SO BAD at names. Keegan's almost 6 months old and I have NO names on my list for his registered name. I'm pretty sure the first show we'll walk into, they'll ask me his registered name and like a doofus I'll be like, "ummm.... Keegan?" LOL! One day I'll decide to start a thread for ideas.

I do have a name picked out for my belgian shepherd.... Though IF I get one it'll be probably at least 10 years down the line. It's a really good name, though, I keep reminding myself so that I don't forget it. (And NO, I'm not going to post it or else someone will STEAL it! ) I like names that come from the breed's country of origin ("Luna" for my chihuahua, "Keegan" for my collie (don't tell him the name's actually Irish, not Scottish)), so this particular name for my belgian will not work for, say, my bichon. So we'll see if I ever use it.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:04 AM
Top Dog

When I worked at the shelter, I kept a running list of names I liked, probably 35-40 for each gender, so that I could have some creative ones for the dogs there. When I started fostering "Fred", I picked 5 or 6 that suited him, then chose Argon from them.

Gambit started out 'Jonathon' I picked Token, the changed it to Gambit a week later. So not only did he not have a name in advance, he didn't have a name period!

Booty Dancing In Heaven 10/13/03-9/15/12
As much as I try to be one of those easygoing 'spread your wings and fly' types, I just can't stop trying to burst people into flames with my mind.