Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 10-27-2004, 04:35 PM
Puppy Dog

Red face Hacking/Coughing Concern

My dog has been carrying around an abnormal hacking/cough for quite a number of weeks. When she "hacks", it sounds like she needs to throw up but nothing has ever come up. She has been tested for a number of things. She had blood taken, stool sample evaluated and her lungs were x-rayed. The vet thought she might have a lungworm and my dog was put on meds for 14 days. The coughing definitely subsided but now she's finished with the meds and there is still some coughing and I'm getting rather concerned as to what this might be?? She definitely does NOT have kennel cough. Otherwise, she's as healthy as can be - eats well and is energetic. Still, I'm getting more worried because even the vet is puzzled that she hasn't gotten better. Any ideas of what she might have??
Old 10-28-2004, 05:18 AM
Terrier Lover!

I'm sure not an expert... but it seems if the vet hasn't been able to find a normal "cause" for this... has he/she considered it might be allergies of some sort? I sure hope you can figure out the cause of this, and find some relief for the coughing!

Old 10-28-2004, 08:46 AM
Felurian

It could very well be just a case of bronchitis. My Mom had a little Terrier mix who got it every winter. The vet's specified treatment was keeping her warm, covering her chest when she went out (and not letting her stay out) and size appropriate doses of old fashioned Creomulsion for Children.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 10-28-2004, 03:17 PM
Save a life: Rescue

My dog, Bishop, has that too...It seems to be all over Oregon state. That can't seem to figuer out what's causing it, but allergy medicine gets rid of the cough. They aren't sure what is causing it...a plant or what have you. Dogs started getting it over here this year for the first time ever. maybe you can talk to your vet about that. I hope this helps you in some way.
Love and Spoil Your Pet
Old 10-29-2004, 01:53 PM
Puppy Dog

Allergies was ruled out by the vet. And it seemed that the vet didn't think it was bronchitis either. Like I said, it seems like more of a hacking than a coughing and somewhat of a heaving at the same time..... I'm really boggled. Though, if it was something really serious, I'm sure she'd be showing other signs such as fatigue or loss of energy. If it was bronchitis, how long could that last and wouldn't that have shown on a lung x-ray??
Old 10-29-2004, 09:20 PM
Felurian

Bronchitis doesn't necessarily show up on an x-ray, or on a veterinarian's radar for that matter. It's one of those old fashioned ailments that doesn't have any expensive, sexy new treatment.

At some point, when you can't find out exactly what's causing the cough, it's time to treat the symptoms (the cough itself). Part of the reason your dog is sounding like she is heaving along with the unproductive cough could be that she's just coughed until it's kicking in her gag reflex. Long term unproductive coughs are self-perpetuating: the longer the cough lasts, the more irritated the throat becomes, triggering more coughing.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 11-26-2004, 01:44 PM
Winonajane

Default Definitely not kennel cough

Danielle, please email me about your dogs symptoms. I have dogs with the same symptoms. WJ
Old 11-26-2004, 05:00 PM
Winonajane

Default My dog has same symptoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle
Allergies was ruled out by the vet. And it seemed that the vet didn't think it was bronchitis either. Like I said, it seems like more of a hacking than a coughing and somewhat of a heaving at the same time..... I'm really boggled. Though, if it was something really serious, I'm sure she'd be showing other signs such as fatigue or loss of energy. If it was bronchitis, how long could that last and wouldn't that have shown on a lung x-ray??
I am new to this and don't know exactly how to do a post in reply but the curser works here. I will post complete symptoms in animal health. WJ
Old 11-26-2004, 05:03 PM
agilitydobemom

I agree with Renee about the Bronchitis have it checked out further it is the time of the year for this also could she possibly have somthing stuck in her thorat even though she is coughing alot it still maybe stuck like a piece of plastic or somthing has your vet done an exam by looking down the throat or maybe even a floroscopy
Old 11-26-2004, 06:05 PM
agilitydobemom

That is a concern Serena I just assumed the dog was young but I would also look into that