Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 10-18-2005, 04:25 PM
Puppy Dog

Thanx he is a Puggle, that new breed mix og a pug & beagle...he is cute...I'm still not sure if leaving him in the cage for 4 hrs, in the night will help. I guess within 4 hrs he should tire himself out and sleep, and if he does I guess his reward would be to sleep in bed with me...hmmm gotta thin about it.

Edit:::another thing I have 2 cats and they roam free do you think him being able to see him if i put him in the living room in his crate will bother him...since they will be running around and him in the crate???
Old 10-18-2005, 06:50 PM
Top Dog

I recommend that you teach him how to be comfortable and confident in his crate first and then later...down the road if you decide you'd like him to sleep with you in bed, he can do that, but still be accepting of the crate. I don't think he'll mind seeing the cats roaming around...it might stimulate him for a while, but then again...it will help him get use to them being around and soon he won't pay too much attention to them.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:41 PM
no touchy

He's very cute Where did you get him?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:15 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaddylovesdogs
He's very cute Where did you get him?

A local puppy store here in Orlando...he was a little pricey ($400 for a college student) but I think he will be a great addition to my zoo...um... i mean household...lol
Old 10-18-2005, 11:04 PM
Rusty but Trusty

He is very cute. I would definetely not allow him to sleep in your bed just yet though. He needs to be crated until he is housebroken. We made the mistake of letting our lab sleep on the bed with us one night before being completely housebroken and we woke up at 2 am to her peeing on the bed. He will get used to and love his crate soon enough. Just give him treats when he goes in and toys too. Make sure you NEVER send him in there for punishment or else he'll think he's bad if he goes in there. Crate him for meals, sleeping, and after he goes outside and potties. Also don't put any blankies in there yet, atleast in my opinion, because puppies will look for absorbant stuff to potty on (carpet, grass, blankets, a bed). So if you put a bed in there for him he will most like pee on it if he gets up to go in the middle of the night. I'm not saying NEVER put a bed in there just don't put a bed in there just yet (atleast until he can go all night continously). Make sure any mistakes are cleaned up with an ammonia free cleaner too so that it completely removes the smell. For the cats they could cause him to bark and stay away in the middle of the night if he sees them out having fun and he's stuck in his cage. So either put the crate in your room or in the other room you have talked about. I prefer to have my pups sleep by me for the first couple nights then around six months they are allowed to sleep crated in our room agian. Around a year I think I will give our lab a shot at sleeping in our room uncrated and see how that goes and if it goes good for her than we'll do the same with our standard poodle puppy.

Old 10-18-2005, 11:33 PM
Big Dog

Having the crate in the bedroom provides you easy access when you have to get up in the middle of the night and take him out. You can also soothe him when you first put him in it. When Chi was very young she would wimper a bit when I first put her in to "go to bed". I slept with my arm hanging over the side of the bed and my fingers through the crate door (I think I may have permanantly damaged my shoulder doing this), just that little bit of me there with her calmed her down significantly.
If I were you I would make sure that you really tire him out with play and take him to potty (make sure he does it :-) BEFORE you put him to bed in his crate. Chances are he'll fuss but it won't be long if he's tired and knows that you're at least close by. He'll wake you up when he needs to go potty during the night, just make sure that you take him straight out to potty and then straight back to the crate. Consistency is the key in my opinion :-) He sure is a doll though:-) Good luck!
Old 10-19-2005, 07:13 AM
Puppy Dog

well last night was his first night. and I decided not to leave him the whole night I gave him a 2 1/2 hr session. When I woke up...no thats a lie I didnt sleep...when I thought the time had run out, I went to check on him (he is in my living room) and it seemed he eliminated in his crate (#2). Well Im pretty sure that was upsetting to him, so i cleaned it out, took him outside for a little potty run, and brought him to bed. He slept the whole night next to me no stirring.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:28 AM
Top Dog

Seems to me he has already figured out how to work you. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with him sleeping with you if you are a light enough sleeper to take him out to go potty when he stirs. Our 1st one was crated until she was about 7 months and then we allowed her to sleep with us, the next 2 lived their entire lives in crates so that didn't go over well, they ended up sleeping on the couch and then eventually our bed. The 4th one well he was crated about a week and since he was a pet store puppy he felt it was o.k. to pee and poop in his crate. We then moved him to a puppy proof room with piddle pads and he did a little better but I have to be honest, he ended up in our bed by the time he was 3 months old and he's been there ever since. Only once did he have an accident on our bed and that was my fault for not getting up with him, now that he's 5 months old he sleeps from 10:00 p.m. to 6:30 a.m. without even moving.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:10 AM
no touchy

Not trying to be mean or anything, but pet shops aren't the greatest places to get pups from. They get their puppies from puppy mills. Check out www.stoppuppymills.org for more info .
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:51 AM
Top Dog

Just so you know, we didn't purchase the 4th from a pet store, someone else did and then didn't want him after only a few short days when they realized how hard a puppy was... We stepped in and offered to foster him but ended up keeping him. We know all about puppymills.