Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 04-11-2011, 03:34 PM
Top Dog

if he is going to hunt w/the dog, even just as casual weekender, it needs to be the dog he wants to hunt with, when he feels ready to take on the job. if you dictate to him what kind & when it'll create resentment. IME compromise on these things usually means one person giving in & the other getting what they want, but if you can reach a compromise where you both are giving something up then you usually don't have the resentment. the resentment often gets redirected at the dog the guy didn't want in the first place. but that goes both ways, if he doesn't do his part to make the dog livable you'll resent the dog.
if you're okay and can reach an agreement on time line, go with the toller. they are a good working breed that hasn't been terribly screwed up by "pet" BYBing & showies ignoring working ability (from what i've seen most of the show fancy that is involved wants to retain working ability).
Old 04-11-2011, 03:49 PM
Resident fainting goat

I don't know much about Tollers, but the breed club is usually a great place to start
they have some helpful information as well as breeder referrals

NSDTRC(USA) Home

Does your boyfriend live with you? I was wondering because you said there would be 4 dogs in the house and I thought you lived with your parents

Just a word of caution if its going to be one of those "Oh hes your dog but he lives at my house" I have seen those situations end badly quite a few times.. you are the one stuck with daily care and its a lot of "well its YOUR dog you should do this" and "but its MY dog I should decide this!"

as for me, I am not willing to bend when it comes to things like this, but I am very MY DOG kind of person lol in my family, dogs are a very personal thing, its very "this is my dog. that is your dog" even in the same household lol they are like our kids.. we love all of them and they are all part of the family but...those are mine lol

You know yourself and the situation.. I would just be very sure especially if there is no possible way of getting a 5th dog..that you are sure you won't one day resent bending and not getting the GSD you've always wanted.

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:50 PM
Love My Mutt <3

I just sent a long winded email to the breeder in my city. nononononononono. Why do I do this to myself?

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 04-11-2011, 05:46 PM
Remembering Casey ♥

Jess, i dont mind you asking questions at all, this thread was made so i can learn, no harm in you learning as well and in turn, you asking questions gives me more information on the breed.

Right now i am living with my parents.. June 23rd i`ll be moving in with him. He owns his own home so getting a dog isnt an issue. We could have 40 and it wouldnt cause problems with keeping the house.. But 4 is my personal limit.

See, the way i see it, hes picking out a breed he likes, And as long as *I* like it too, it wont be an issue. Even with keely and casey, *I* own keely and *he* owns casey. We both had the dogs before we even met each other. But in out minds, they are our dogs. Thats just the way we are. We both love each others dogs. He especially adores keely. She doesnt want much to do with me when hes around, she is more for him. She`ll leave my arms for his when he comes to sit next to me on the couch, but i dont mind it, i know she still loves me the bestest.

And pretty much no matter what breed he chooses (unless its a dog i KNOW i wouldnt be able to reach its needs, like say, a malinios or something like that) i'm almost gauranteed to love it. I have yet to meet a dog that i didnt love, and like i said, unless its something extreme, like with extreme stimulation needs and such, i can pretty much do whatever to accomidate its needs, that part doesnt bother me, if i have to up the time i excercise because of a certain dog, im 100 % willing to do it. It would be good for both me and the dogs we already have. There are few breeds i know for a fact i never want to own. (including shih tzus, pomeranians, chis, and a few other small breeds)
And if he 100% decides he wants one, im not going to say no. Im pretty easy to get along with, especially when it comes to dogs. I just want to know what im getting into and what to expect. He knows that some day in the future, I WILL get a german shepherd. And i think he knows it would be cruel of him to try to dictate that.

If we get a toller that will be three dogs (as haley is my brothers dog, not mine) ...So that leaves room for one more.. So that means no doggies for us for a very long time.

Im pretty much just rambling :P

Oh and toller_08 i assume same sex aggression doesnt be a big problem in this breed. From what ive read on the breeders website they are pretty tolerant of most dogs (and you've said it too) .. Im going to want a female, because that will mean we'll have 3 females and my GSD will be a male. As Some GSD's do tend to be agressive , and intolerant of other dogs of the same sex.

So far i'm 100% sold on this breed. (Never once seen that coming *eyeroll* , and yes that is dripping with sarcasm)
Old 04-11-2011, 06:27 PM
Wookie Collie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
Ok, I lied, one more What kind of health testing should be done for tollers? I just found a breeder actually like 30 mins from my house Andddd I just found one in my city...
Darnit Jess, you are eeeevil
Yeah, there's a breeder in my neighbourhood. I know nothing about them, though!

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 04-11-2011, 06:51 PM
Top Dog

Sorry it took me a bit to get back to you guys! I went to reply earlier, but then we had to go out for a few hours and I didn't have time.

Babymomma, I'm glad that I was able to give you some helpful information! I also love the reservation with strangers. I don't mind a dog that loves everyone, but I prefer a dog that doesn't really care whether they meet a stranger or not. Unfortunately Dance is shy with strangers despite my best efforts, but we deal with it and hopefully my next Toller won't be.

They definitely are a good Agility prospect if that's something you're interested in! I don't love Agility as much as I thought I would (I mean, I do enjoy it a lot, but Obedience is more my thing for some reason), but Dance thinks it's the best game ever. Just watching her have so much fun with it is entertainment enough for me!

And no, same sex aggression does not seem to be an issue in the breed. As with anything, you do want to make sure that any new dog you get will hopefully be compatible in temperament with your current dogs, but overall Tollers are friendly with other dogs regardless of gender.

JessLough, prey drive really depends on the dog. Some Tollers have quite a bit if prey drive, while others really don't have much at all. I think you'd likely be ok, but make sure you let a breeder know that you'd prefer a puppy with less prey drive if the dog will be living with small animals. Most of my Facebook friends are Toller people, and I've seen stories of a few grabbing squirrels and bunnies and things out in the yard. Cats usually seem to be ok if the dog grows up with them, but I'm not sure what a Toller would be like with ferrets. Of course, supervision is very important, as I'm sure you know. I wouldn't leave a Toller (or any dog really) alone with a smaller animal.

As far as breeders in ON, I will PM you. Some breeders don't like to be talked about on a public forum, so I figure PM is the best way to go about recommending breeders usually. There are a fair number of good breeders in your area though, and there is also the Ontario Toller Club that would be happy to help you out also.

As far as health testing, you want to look for eyes, hips and thyroid to be tested at the very least. Many breeders also test elbows and patellas as well as cardiac.

Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Ripley
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Fennec - Tollwest Sugar Fox
[temporary puppy]
Old 04-11-2011, 10:32 PM
Top Dog

No real info on todays Tollers***8230;.. I grew up with this breed, all around me***8230; I lived less than a half hour from Little River and this is a fairly young breed, when I was a kid there were a lot of Tollers around, many used for their traditional role, and also a few of my friends fathers were Lobster Fishermen who took them along on the boat***8230;.

I find it sad there seems to be few breeders left Down home***8230;

I will say, like many working dogs in my hometown, papers meant very little***8230; Even today dogs bred for hunting Down Home are rarely papered, The breeding programs there work more like Don has a great hound but she has a soft bay and is a bit too slow, Joe has a great hound with an awesome bay and too much speed***8230; One may be Blue Tick, one Beagle***8230; but they will breed them to get the better Bay and Speed***8230; That is the way most dogs were bred where I come from***8230; I will also be the first to admit, many old school hunters would laugh if you mentioned health testing beyond basic vet care***8230; But their dogs lived to ripe old ages, retiring by their masters feet once they trained the next generation***8230;
Old 04-11-2011, 11:02 PM
Top Dog

I think there are at least a couple unregistered breeders breeding Tollers still in Nova Scotia. Something was mentioned on the Toller e-mail list I subscribe to recently about unregistered dogs out there that people are still breeding solely for working/hunting purposes. However, I don't know who these people are or how reputable they are. But there are definitely still Tollers being bred in NS. I will say though, many of those Tollers do look fairly different (and almost muttly to me personally) from the dogs being bred by CKC registered breeders... which is to be expected.

Ripley
[temporary puppy]
Old 04-11-2011, 11:21 PM
Love My Mutt <3

...I am setting up a time to go meet a breeders dogs, and to talk with them more in depth. I am just going to torture myself, LOL.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 04-11-2011, 11:25 PM
Top Dog

Yay! That's exciting. I hope the crazy little red dogs are on their best behaviour so they'll convince you that Chaz needs another Toller around one day.

Ripley
[temporary puppy]