Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 04-07-2011, 09:58 AM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Default Yet another dog shot in his own yard

Police Shoot, Kill Dog During Foot Chase - Louisville News Story - WLKY Louisville

Considering that my dogs would go insane if this happened . . .

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Old 04-07-2011, 10:10 AM
*Now with Snark*

It's a really sad story. I do feel for the guy and his poor dog but unfortunately I do agree with the cop defending himself even if it was the dog's yard and his house. It's ok to be pissed, it's ok to even sue the fleeing guy for the loss of the dog as a result of his eluding law enforcement, but it was a reasonable act.

I am glad they nailed the home invasion guy. As far as scum of the earth go these guys are right down there with rapists, and child molesters.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:17 AM
We are Home.

But they went in HER yard. Its not like they could have went around the front and got him Im sure. Just because some jackass went through my yard to get away from you doesnt mean you can shoot my dog.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 04-07-2011, 10:26 AM
Arbitrary and Capricious

The problem is that by the account, they shot the dog for barking, not for attacking. I'll tell you for sure that if a bunch of people just dashed into my yard, my dogs would bark. They'd bark and posture and probably growl. But I don't think they'd bite. Sarama would put on a big show, but unless they tried to get into the house, that's what it would be. But she will stand her ground and bark at intruders in the yard.

Using the logic here, if a criminal comes into your yard, the cops shoot your dog. Because unless you have a really strange dog, the dog is gonna bark.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Old 04-07-2011, 10:33 AM
We are Home.

I just read it didnt watch it yet so I was just going by the story that said:
Quote:
Police said the dog attacked an officer, but the dog's owner said that explanation is ridiculous.
Even with that there is a thing called a TASER. or even non lethal shooting to stop the dog. Yes I know shoot to kill believe me I know but a dog thats been shot in the leg/foot is no longer a threat if you are a cop.

Mine would be trying to bite anything in my yard without me there. Walker and Oakley are very protective.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:44 AM
*Now with Snark*

If a suspect enters your yard fleeing the police they absolutely can enter your yard in pursuit. If your dog makes any sudden move towards a police officer they absolutely can defend themselves, your yard or not. Police officers generally speaking don't start their day thinking how they can get their name in the paper, I'm sure they don't delight in shooting an innocent bystander's dog.

If the dog has teeth it's capable of biting, I can't tell you how many people think Poopsy couldn't possibly bite until they get built up with enough prey drive. Unfortunately in a foot chase you often don't have the time to stop and check the barking bouncing possibly aggressive dog to see what it's intent is. Also, most police depts don't issue tasers because they are insanely expensive, Seattle PD actually finally just got them because they're a multi million dollar purchase for the entire dept and since this guy was armed a taser would not be the weapon the officer had in hand.

A armed home invasion suspect isn't a petty criminal lifting gum off the store counter. It's in everyone's best interest that this guy is apprehended. Unfortunately the dog was in the right place at the wrong time, doing what dogs do.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:55 AM
Top Dog

I would be OK with police shooting a dog on someone's property if it was a single officer pursuing a serial killer and he was going to lose the suspect

Police are supposed to serve and protect the public. They voluntarily sign up for the job and if an innocent party is going to suffer a loss it should be them, not a random citizen. They can taser, they can restrain, they can stand there and be bitten for all I care, but they shouldn't get a green light to shoot someone's dog on that someone's own private property.

That is if the dog actually attacked, I wouldn't be surprised if it jumped on the officer as well.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:59 AM
We are Home.

Just because the criminal does it doesnt mean the cop can.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:05 AM
Squishy face

I think it's sad that dogs can't be in their own backyards anymore without risk of being shot.

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 04-07-2011, 03:14 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

a bunch of adrenaline soaked people...I don't think there's a dog alive that wouldn't bark. Yet another reason to not let my dogs outside without me.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,