Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 04-12-2011, 12:31 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
While I don't know the breed you may have a great point here. The reason malinois excel so much at protection work and sport is the same problem I am having with mine currently. They were bred forever to just not think. They act on command or impulse and think later, sometimes. lol

And, yes, you can work thinkers in bite sport, they just don't excel as easily as malinuts.
I'd call GSDs thinkers and the do hold their own in bite sport.
It's not a matter of thinking or not, it's a matter of having a specific set of drives and courage selected for bitework in the breeding program.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 10-17-2011, 01:55 PM
Kotah BEAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post

A rousing game of Deer in the snow:

Ok I know this thread is a few months old. But holy smokes batman, it looks like you have a pack of wolves running around in your yard lol, I love the 2nd picture *drool*
Old 10-17-2011, 07:14 PM
Bite Club

Thanks for bumping this thread - I have a contribution:

Jolly ball insanity - YouTube

Also keep in mind this was at the END of the ball session. Riley tends to get winded faster (probably because he's ginormous) Aura could probably go all day. Earlier she was doing some crazy air bourne karate moves over both Riley and the ball.

~Aura & Riley~
Old 10-17-2011, 07:48 PM
Kotah BEAR

I am seriously in LOVE with your dogs, just by looking at your siggy and that video. Like seriously lol.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:50 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakotah View Post
Ok I know this thread is a few months old. But holy smokes batman, it looks like you have a pack of wolves running around in your yard lol, I love the 2nd picture *drool*
Thanks! Those are some of my all time favorite pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenv101 View Post

Also keep in mind this was at the END of the ball session. Riley tends to get winded faster (probably because he's ginormous) Aura could probably go all day. Earlier she was doing some crazy air bourne karate moves over both Riley and the ball.
Jagger isn't allowed to play with these sorts of balls any more. They ruined his brain!
Old 10-17-2011, 07:57 PM
Kotah BEAR

You are very welcome. I <3 your avatar to. That is a gorgeous dog.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:29 AM
Top Dog

I don't actually own one yet, but I will as soon as funds allow. Nor have I finished reading the whole thread, but I figured I should reply to a few things that jumped at out me in this starting post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppydog View Post
I would want the dog to have freedom to run in a yard during the day. So, we are looking 3 to 4 years time.

I just want to add that I don't want this dog as my own personal security guard, but that is a bonus if the dog is sharp and turned on. I want a pet and working dog first and foremost. Another agility prospect wouldn't suck either!

Thanks for taking the time to read and if you did, answer this.
This is not the kind of dog breed you leave unsupervised in the yard. Especially if what you want is a trained PPD (personal protection dog). They must be properly contained at all times.

It is very very different to own a PPD than it is to own Paps. Heck its different to own a Malinois than it is to own Paps, but the kind of sharpness you are saying you want could end up being a train wreck. A really good hard dog like that can't be around just anyone and what do you do if your dog rips the crap out of a couple squatters? Because it could...

I also wouldn't trust a dog of very high sharpness and drive with small animals, period. Not saying it can't be done, but I'd be extremely careful.

Lily is my PPD, but she is not a Malinois and she is an extremely social dog. I can take her anywhere and trust her in any situation. She has the judgement to know when to alert on something/one and I trust her judgement completely.

My TD's male Malinois is very hard/sharp/whatever hot catch phrase you want to use. Let me put it this way, we've been working on socializing him to me a few sessions and that involved me walking next to my TD on the opposite side as the dog and then he put the his basket muzzle on and has me change sides to be next to him. Then he has me put my hand up to the muzzle for him to smell and then I got to pet him. See what I'm saying? Very serious dogs are just that.

That said, a good breeder could hook you up with a not sharp, less drivey (and by less drivey, it will still be more than most breeds... it is a mal after all) pup or young dog that would be good for a first time owner.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:50 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppydog View Post
I like Ridgebacks, I really do. Paul just feels they are a bit too big. And I am not sure I would like to deal with a hound to be honest. I prefer sharper dogs.
At the end of the day the choice is Pauls and it looks like we are leaning towards an Africanis.
RR's can be very sharp. Depends on where you get it I suppose because I've heard they are super mellow from people with showline ones, but my personal experience has been awesomely different.

My friend adopted a little ridgeless RR boy at the shelter. Pretty sure he's purebred, don't see anything else in him at all. He has amazing natural protection ability. I obedience trained him myself since we were roommates at the time.

One time he and I were out at an elementary school playground at night (he's an asshole to the other dogs so he is exercised on his own....) and we were playing tetherball, yes he plays tetherball lol, when I guess some creeper heard me chatting away to the dog and I saw this guy sneaking up out of the corner of my eye. I snatched his collar, yeah I'm idiot my first thought is that I don't want him getting in trouble for biting this moron. The guy sees I have a dog and runs like hell. I'm a little worried he might try to break into my car because I can't see it from where I am, so I let the Rhodie loose and walk on over there. Well he hauled ass to catch up with this guy and did a textbook perfect bark and hold. Not even joking. And when I whistled he recalled perfectly to my side. **** good dog.

He has lived with a weiner dog and a pug, but I wouldn't trust him with strange ones. Also, he much prefers to be an only dog. My friend already had a RR/Lab mix (he is also a very protective boy and very well behaved) when she adopted him and ended up letting her mom have the younger guy because he just needs to be an only dog.

Same sex aggression is very very common, but they bond wonderfully to their families. They are high prey drive, not sure I'd trust one around a pack of small dogs supervised. Definitely never unsupervised.

Also, I think a Terv from a good breeder could be good. But be careful, there is a lot of breeding that turns out nervy dogs going on out there. Ask lots and lots of questions of any breeder you chat with.

I know a trainer with Belgians (a Terv girl & a Groendal boy pup) and her Terv is a nervy hot mess. She has to be careful who she has her around. She's still trialed her high in agility though. She just got a pup from a very nice breeder in CA.... its an agility breeder mainly but some of their dogs/offspring do bitesports like French Ring and some herding also. Nice dogs.

Have you considered a nice West German working line GSD? A big black GSD would be the absolute best visual deterrant you could get. Once they know that lives there, they will not screw with your cars.

And working line GSD's are no slouches. I would never leave one unsupervised around small dogs, but in my experience they are capable of comprehending that small fuzzies (in my case my cat) belong to the humans and are not to be eaten. They will think before they act, whereas a Malinois (and some belgians if they are high drive enough) will not stop to think, but explode in drive instead. They can be very, very sharp too.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:53 AM
Top Dog

wow oops, just realized this was an old thread. Embarrassed face!
Old 10-19-2011, 12:28 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenv101 View Post

Jolly ball insanity - YouTube

I'm a firm believer that owning mals without a pool is insanity. :-P

Sloan and Backup playing in the rain - YouTube
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.