Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 04-07-2011, 09:42 AM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
If you had the stomach for it it seems two really is easier than I if you're up for the extra work.
I gotta agree there. On days when I don't have the time to get my malis out enough, they wear each other out nicely. And then, as long as I get some training in to prevent them from getting mentally under stimulated, we're OK. Sometimes.

They do best with variety - swim a little, tug for a bit, go wrestle, come back for some more tug, do some obedience, zoom, come back for more obedience, swim some more, wrestle again...

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 04-07-2011, 09:44 AM
Glutton for Crazy

hey, its best if you can realize things in advance! They're not *good* dogs. lol They're not the right dog for most people.

I would really truly consider a terv if I were you, I know down the road I plan to own one myself. Also if you like aussies, they're pretty **** tough dogs and fabulous at agility and hiking which sounds like what you want. I'm not sure how they do with small dogs but they're probably more applicable than a malinois.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:46 AM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppydog View Post
Thanks for that! I do think you are all probably right. They are not the dog for me, no matter how gorgeous they are!! I will always have Paps and it is probably not worth the risk. I LOVE tervs and there are quite a few around here.

I would definately want to train in Schutzhund so I would be focussing the dogs drive. Mmmmmm, loads to think about.
Well, there are lots of breeds to look at that would be good at protection and be better at holding back when playing with small dogs. Really, probably, any of them other than the malis. Malis are kind of unique in their level of intensity - like AdrianneIsabel said, they tend to lose their brain.

sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 04-07-2011, 09:46 AM
Tru evil has no pantyline

I can't stand aussies. LOL! But a Terv is def on the cards!

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Old 04-07-2011, 10:59 AM
Bite Club

Small animals are the one thing that makes Riley lose his brain completely. He's never been around small dogs, but I would never trust him with one unsupervised. Even close supervision, I'd be worried.

~Aura & Riley~
Old 04-07-2011, 04:21 PM
Top Dog

With all of the Belgians, temperament very much depends on the lines and what the breeder is selecting for. And even then, the individual temperaments can vary a lot. I'd caution any first time Belgian owner against getting working bred Mals from the majority of breeders producing them. A lot of the working Mals are not being selected for work so much as high level sport dogs and that just isn't what most non-high level sport owners want or need. There are a good number of not-so-great Mal breeders out there, so you need to be very careful. You don't need to go to a sports breeder to get a good Mal though. A breeder like this would probably suit your needs pretty well: Carousel Belgian Malinois (I don't personally know this breeder but she is an example of someone breeding for versatility more than high level protection sports dogs).

My black Belgians can't be left out in the yard alone with our Corgi. They get a bit too predatory towards him when they are outside in a group. No way I'd trust them outside with an even smaller dog.

If you are curious about Mals but don't have a lot of one on one experience with them, I'd high recommend getting involved with fostering/transporting for Mal rescue. Mal rescue is kept pretty busy and they even get puppies in fairly often, so you could help out while getting a feel for if this is the right breed for you. Rescue link: ABMC Belgian Malinois Rescue - Rescued Belgian Malinois
Old 04-07-2011, 04:25 PM
Resident fainting goat

lol that's really all the input I have.

Oh and a great way to get to know a bit more about a breed when there aren't many around you is to use youtube! Of course not all dogs are alike but they help you kind of get a feel of how the dogs are and their owners and stuff, its easier to see in video than in pictures
Old 04-07-2011, 04:27 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
My black Belgians can't be left out in the yard alone with our Corgi. They get a bit too predatory towards him when they are outside in a group. No way I'd trust them outside with an even smaller dog.
Corgis and Belgians do tend to not do great with each other. And "Belgians" includes all varieties of Belgian Shepherd and also Bouviers.

sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
Old 04-07-2011, 04:33 PM
Felurian

I would counsel you to seriously rethink the Ridgie. Size doesn't necessarily mean a dog is harder to live with inside. The Filas have been the best house dogs and easiest to live with, from puppy to adult, of any I've ever encountered. Ridgebacks are similar in many ways, without the ojeriza and some of the more extreme quirkiness, plus they are acclimated to your environment.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-07-2011, 05:34 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgipower View Post
Corgis and Belgians do tend to not do great with each other. And "Belgians" includes all varieties of Belgian Shepherd and also Bouviers.
LOL well they are all an opinionated bunch

Really Ziggy and the Belgians get along in the house very well. And does fine outside with one at a time (or two if it's the right two). More than two though and they start to want to play "get the bunny". Ziggy is not at all interested in being a bunny! Of course they play "Deer" with each other and without fail, the youngest in the bunch has to be the dear. Sometimes they think it's fun, sometimes they're not sure LOL at least they're all about the same size though! Deer is their most favorite game though and would not be at all appropriate to play with a small dog.

A rousing game of Deer in the snow: