Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 04-07-2011, 01:40 PM
Puppy Dog

I bought click to calm also
Old 04-07-2011, 01:49 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by acer925 View Post
I bought click to calm also

Great book!

I just wanna say I've been following this thread and haven't had anything to add -- Doberluv, Danefied and lizzybeth have had some great posts here.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 04-07-2011, 01:51 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danefied View Post
Just to give you a different perspective, this is what a reactive dog class can look like. The dogs outside the fence are learning to relax around another dog who is being active (running, playing, bouncing), and the black dog is learning to focus on me even though there are other dogs around and even when I stop doing anything interesting. Its a default "what's next mom?" type attitude, and its not that hard to build.

YouTube - Focus and control class
Great video..thats exactly what I'd love for him to be able to do. Hopefully the click to calm book will get us to this point. I doubt they have classes like this in my area (small town). I'd sign him up in a second.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:52 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgipower View Post

Great book!

I just wanna say I've been following this thread and haven't had anything to add -- Doberluv, Danefied and lizzybeth have had some great posts here.
Yes they really have...all of them have helped me tremendously. Big thanks.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:07 PM
Top Dog

[QUOTE=corgipower;1793762I just wanna say I've been following this thread and haven't had anything to add -- Doberluv, Danefied and lizzybeth have had some great posts here.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the compliments!!
Old 04-07-2011, 04:16 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by acer925 View Post
Great video..thats exactly what I'd love for him to be able to do. Hopefully the click to calm book will get us to this point. I doubt they have classes like this in my area (small town). I'd sign him up in a second.
They don't in my area either
I was driving an hour and 15 minutes once a week for that class - and the black dog isn't really reactive, just a bit of a wild man who needed more focus and control practice.
Just depends on how you want to spend your spare time. Some moms scrapbook or do Mary Kay, this mom does dog training

It might be worth looking for a trainer though. You'd be surprised who's out there once you start looking. Many of the better trainers don't advertise much and get all their clients word of mouth.
Try contacting your local kennel club, and ask around for positive trainers. Karen Pryors website and APDT have trainer searches too. Though no matter who you find, I would watch several classes first and ask them pointed questions about their training philosophy.
But a class might be good for both of you, even if its just a beginner clicker class where you work on timing and neutral positions (so the treats don't turn in to bribes) etc. Might be fun!

And thank you Corgipower! *blushes*
~Suzanne Clothier
Old 04-07-2011, 06:49 PM
Top Dog

Thanks CP and Acer.

Acer, I hope you stay with us here, post lots and keep us posted on how things go.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-07-2011, 08:58 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgipower View Post

Great book!

I'll second this on all accounts

To the OP, a website you may find really useful for learning about clicker training is ClickerSolutions Home
Lots of excellent information and let the journey begin........as many of us know on here, its a great ride.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:15 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by adojrts View Post
I'll second this on all accounts

To the OP, a website you may find really useful for learning about clicker training is ClickerSolutions Home
Lots of excellent information and let the journey begin........as many of us know on here, its a great ride.
Thanks, I will check it out

I wanted to start the training in the house and yard but he needs to go for a walk everyday for the excercise. Would it be ok to start the clicker training in the house then on his walk and at the park. I try to go when I know theres not many people there. Its a big park so I could find some private space anyway..but I just want to make sure thats ok and wouldnt be adding too much distraction for him at once. I will keep updating his progress and everything, this forum is a great place. Thanks all.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:49 PM
Puppy Dog

Im confused about how he can get his excercise on the leash and also train to walk with some slack on it at the same time? Once he starts pulling when we get out of the house, we will never make it off the block because I would stop every 2 feet. What I want to do is stop when he pulls, then say walk nice, and try it again in the opposite direction. I think thats what your supposed to do. But how will he get any excercise like that? I'd have to let him pull all the way to the park and around the 1 mile track, then start the leash training? Im just so confused on what to do with him. We have a small yard but my gf doesnt want me to throw his balls back there b/c she doesn't want the grass to become a mud pit this time of the year.