Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 10-17-2005, 12:20 AM
Whitedobelover

Kim we are going to also continue crate training until they are purely and perfectly housetrained... it is driving me crazy... im thinking that i should put them inthe crates in our salarium so they know that when they potty they go out the doggie door and down to the grass and back up to the crate? what do oyu think about that idea? so they dont just thinkit is for play?
Old 10-17-2005, 12:24 AM
Whitedobelover

im firing you poe LOL... lets not fight hehehe... i like your attitude...
Old 10-17-2005, 09:02 AM
Big Dog

Our pups are about the same age and Chi has pretty much got the house training thing down to a fine science BUT I am so neurotic about anticipating when she needs to go out that I don't leave much room for error. I honestly can't remember the last "accident" she's had (knock on wood) It has been my experience that allowing them too much freedom in the house before they are solidly (if that's a word :-) potty trained only sets you up for wicked problems in the future. If I were you I would limit his free reign to come in and out (via the dog door). Take Prince out to potty, if he doesn't in a reasonable amount of time put him in his crate for 15 min or so and then repeat until he does. Stay with him while he is out, I tell Chi to go potty as soon as we walk out the door and repeat it until she does and then heap the praise when she does. I also will not encourage play before she "goes". He should not get to run the house until he's done his business... It's a pain in the arse because you're constantly up and down but I bet that within a few days he'll get the message and learn that freedom comes with going where he's supposed to go... It's what I've done with Chi from day one and has worked wonders. I so wish I had done this with Petri (4yr old chihuahua mix) because he's still not quite got the whole pee outside thing down yet.grrrrrrrr (mom's fault though, not his...) Good luck.. Hey how has Tanseem recovered from her spay? Chi had her follow up today and other than finding out she may have a bum right hip she's recovered well and back to full caliber...
Old 10-17-2005, 09:31 AM
Top Dog

I totally agree that dog doors are to avoid until the dogs are potty trained. They need to learn to hold, and that going out means potty, not fun.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:46 AM
Staffie Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran27
I totally agree that dog doors are to avoid until the dogs are potty trained. They need to learn to hold, and that going out means potty, not fun.
oh bugger. I've had shadow a doggie door since week two of having her, so since she was 10 weeks. I am having the same trouble as Whitedobe, she'll be outside for ages, and then pee inside, she NEVER poo's inside thou, and she'll only pee in the kitchen. Im loath to stop using the doggie door, as I put it in so she could go outside when i was in work, I havent used a crate and I wont start now, she's almost 7 months.

Is my only hope to stop using the doggie door? How about if I stop using it when Im home? So she has to let me know when she needs to go out? Would that work?

Sorry for hi-jacking ur thread whitedobe.

Old 10-17-2005, 11:34 AM
Big Dog

Goodness knows I am not an expert in this catagory, like I said, I have a 4yr old that still hasn't gotten down the idea of only "going" outside but I don't think the dog door is the problem so much as the actual training. Sure the dog door allows the dog to go outside and sure you know the dog should "go" outside but have you really taken the steps to teach the dog he/she needs to "go" only outside? It just makes sense to me that the dogs that are having this problem are seeing the yard and house as one big area and are having problems knowing where it is okay to "go" and where it is not... I would dicontinue the use of the dog door until you know for sure that the dog knows what the primary reason for the yard is, ie. potty. I'm sure that once that is established the dog door will be perfect, in fact I envy that you have one :-) I would cut my arm off to have a dog door sometimes :-)
Old 10-17-2005, 11:39 AM
Staffie Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chithedobe
Goodness knows I am not an expert in this catagory, like I said, I have a 4yr old that still hasn't gotten down the idea of only "going" outside but I don't think the dog door is the problem so much as the actual training. Sure the dog door allows the dog to go outside and sure you know the dog should "go" outside but have you really taken the steps to teach the dog he/she needs to "go" only outside? It just makes sense to me that the dogs that are having this problem are seeing the yard and house as one big area and are having problems knowing where it is okay to "go" and where it is not... I would dicontinue the use of the dog door until you know for sure that the dog knows what the primary reason for the yard is, ie. potty. I'm sure that once that is established the dog door will be perfect, in fact I envy that you have one :-) I would cut my arm off to have a dog door sometimes :-)
Shes been very good up until recently, always went outside, but that could have been because she just happened to be outside at the time. But she hasnt pooped in the house in ages, she just seemed to have "got" that she needs to poop outside. But peeing seems to be a different matter. Im gona try not using the doggie door when im home, i can lock it so shadow has to ask me to go out, then i can reinforce the good behaviour when she goes outside. I think thats where the problem is, she managed to go in the kitchen without me seeing her last week, so she prob thinks its ok.

Old 10-17-2005, 11:41 AM
Big Dog

That could be it... I just went to edit my post and realized you had already responded... Was going to suggest that when you're not there maybe confine her only to the area immediately around her dog door if that's possible... That way her choice will be to go either outside or in her immediate indoor area... worth a shot if it's possible... Good luck :-)
I love Staffs btw :-)
Old 10-17-2005, 03:40 PM
Naturally Natural

ok - flat out, you need to address this (for all of you that are having problems) like your dog is brand new.

the dog should not be allowed out of your site. the dog is attached to you, and you are supervising it all the time. if it is not attached to you (via leash), then its crated. the dog is not allowed to run around, is not allowed to do things when you arent there. you watch the dog and you walk it at LEAST every hour, reward heavily when it goes outside. you interrupt it if it goes in the house. you walk it after playing, aftering eating, after sleeping. the dog needs to understand that the ONLY acceptable place is to go outside - right now, i just dont think its really sticking with them - they know you CAN go to the bathroom outside, but theyve gone too much inside and perhaps been given too much freedom, too soon.

yes, the dog needs to learn that it needs to let you know when it needs to go out. right now, it decides when it goes in or out. it makes all he decisions regarding the bathroom habits - so why shouldnt it just go where it feels like. they are young, and need supervision. they need to be reminded that they need to go (how many times when you were a kid did you hold it until it was almost too late?). they need to be reminded WHERE to go. they dont get to make decisions for themselves. and then they let you know they DO need to go, they get rewarded heavily.

i would simply take it back to step one. my mother use to say she could pretty much housebreak a puppy in 24 hours by STAYING with that puppy at all times for 24 hours and walking it very frequently. if the dog doesnt know going to the bathroom in the house is an option, then it wont do it. if going outside is the norm and the only thing it knows, theres no confusion.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:49 PM
Whitedobelover

hmmm.... i would have to agree... my dogs are outside during the day and then in the crates at the evening but it seems to be working better.... since i am doing what you said kim