Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 10-07-2005, 04:35 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Default Where should they sleep?

As with anything, I have found 100's of different opinions around bringing up your puppy!

Personally, I want the new addition to sleep in the kitchen, and have read all sorts about how they should sleep in the bedroom and here, there and everywhere!

Thoughts on this? Where would you reccommend?
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 10-07-2005, 07:33 AM
Love my pets

I think whichever room you want the puppy to sleep in is fine. One of our dogs started out in the kitchen, moved to the living room and is now in our bedroom. Our newest addition started out the same way, but now sleeps in the guest bedroom (rarely have any guests sleeping overnight) and loves it in there.

Sometimes at the beginning when they are very young, it's easier to get them to calm down when they are closer to you, even if it's in the hallway looking into the bedroom.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:56 AM
Walks into Mordor

Hmm, that depends. I personally think it doesn't matter which room the dog sleeps in. Over time, they will get comfortable in it and think of it as "their" room. There's nothing wrong with the kitchen. Zeus is the first dog of mine that actually sleeps in my bedroom. All my other dogs slept in the living room and were just fine with it. My golden retreiver actually preferred it!
Old 10-07-2005, 09:26 AM
Puppy Dog

When my new puppy arrives, she is going to sleep in my room for the first 3 nights, ive read in a book written by a vet that this is the best thing to do, but only a temporary thing.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:54 AM
Top Dog

Everything is fine honestly. It's just harder the first few nights if the pup isn't in the bedroom with you is all..
Old 10-07-2005, 02:09 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Thanks for the advice
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 10-07-2005, 03:43 PM
Rusty but Trusty

I allow my dogs to sleep in their crates in our bedroom for the first couple nights and then they are moved to the kitchen (still in their crates). At around seven months I allow them to sleep back in our room (still in their crates though). Usually around seven months in when mine were consistent with housebreaking so we didn't have to worry about them messing in their crates at night. I want to get rid of the crates though when they hit about a year and let them sleep in our room.
Old 10-07-2005, 04:19 PM
Playful Husky Pup

Mine choose where they want to sleep. With puppies I usually have them in the room with me. Pretty much I do it for me lol.

Pets name: Chaos

Pets name: Blue Moon

Pets name: Cajun

Pets name: Smoothie
Old 10-08-2005, 02:59 AM
Trigger

i let my puppy sleeps in his crate in the garage, and he sleeps so well, he doesn't cry or anything like that.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:45 PM
Puppy Dog

My baby started off in the den, but now he is in the kitchen crated through the night.