Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 03-23-2011, 10:11 AM
AllieMackie's Avatar
AllieMackie AllieMackie is offline
Wookie Collie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 6,284
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
Hope everything goes well! Looking forward to pics.

Just a comment. Please don't advertise them to homes as 'shihpoo' crosses. Please don't feed into the designer mutt fad. No reputable people sell shihpoos, or schnoodles. Sometimes rescues will use those terms to try to get more homes, but really they are crosses. There is no such 'thing' as a 'shihpoo' there might be a general type of dog that falls into that broad category.... but there is no consistency of type or temperament like there are in breeds. Its not that I think crossing dogs is bad (done correctly I am all for it) its that its marketing a dog in such a away as to be deceitful.
^ This! Please advertise them as the mixed breeds they are. The cutesy names don't do them much favours.

That said, I've been quiet because I don't know the first thing about dog pregnancies/whelping, but overall I think you're doing a great job out of this accidental litter. Please keep us posted, and please spay her when the puppies are all placed.
__________________


Finnegan - Border Collie | Porom & Barrett - Ferrets | Stan & Fiora - other half's cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-23-2011, 10:37 AM
Laurelin's Avatar
Laurelin Laurelin is offline
I'm All Ears
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 28,357
Default

It sounds like you're doing really well with them. Definitely would like to see pictures of the puppies!
__________________
Mia and Summer
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-23-2011, 10:44 AM
noludoru's Avatar
noludoru noludoru is offline
Bored Now.
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 17,244
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShihPooLover View Post
Anyway, we didn't think we had anything to worry about with her becoming pregnant and so we have not been in a rush to spay her, she is utd on all her vaccines and our vet didn't push for the spay (she is a great vet so please don't think she told us to breed) I must sound like a broken record but really it was a complete accident, we will have her spayed as soon as the pups are weaned, my spouse and I have discussed it and we will be speaking with our vet about it on friday when we go in.

I have potential homes for 3 puppies as it stands and they are all people we know. So I am confident the pups will be well cared for and properly vaccinated and de sexed.

We have a low cost spay/neuter clinic where I live and I will contact them in regards to the desexing of the pups. I do know that our local SPCA will spay/neuter at 8 weeks of age but I wasnt sure how safe that was so I have not yet looked into it.

Thank you for your help, I take no offence to your comments what so ever, I appreciate your concern for the animals and am glad you are honest.

Thanks
I'm glad!

In any case, I understand that. I guess I'm just biased since I've seen so many "oops" litters that could have been easily and cheaply prevented with younger neuters that I have a different perspective. It's good that you have homes - even if you know them well, remember to do vet checks though. Get their vet's info and ask if all their pets currently are UTD on shots and spayed or neutered before you place a puppy with them.

In small breeds, pediatric neuters are pretty safe. You should probably keep them until 10 weeks anyway, so there will be more than enough time for neuters while you have them. If you had a great dane or something I wouldn't have even recommended it, though, as it has some growth effects in large breeds that aren't the best thing ever. But in cats and small dogs it's routine with most responsible rescues. They don't like placing intact animals into new homes.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha's pet View Post
And it's a turbo so it gets good mileage.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-23-2011, 01:56 PM
ShihPooLover ShihPooLover is offline
Active Pup
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 18
Default Thank you....

We will most def be spaying her so this NEVER happens again, as for the listing for the puppies, she is a shih tzu cross poodle as is the male, I am curious as to why refering to her as a Shih Poo (which is short form for the 2 breeds) is not an acceptable statement? I am curious because I see these names for mixed breeds all the time.
For example-

Puggle
Labradoodle
Schnoodle
Yorkipoo
Pugapoo

These dogs have kind of confused me except of course the Schnoodle because I own one and can see why someone would want him(but I am totally biased)

I will be listing the pups as Shih Tzu/Poodle Mix. Let others call them what they want.

Thanks every one for all the help, you are by far the most help I have gotten in the past couple days.

I look forward to talking with all of you more and learning as much as I can before my girl whelps.

I will be keeping you posted.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-23-2011, 01:58 PM
ShihPooLover ShihPooLover is offline
Active Pup
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by noludoru View Post
I'm glad!

In any case, I understand that. I guess I'm just biased since I've seen so many "oops" litters that could have been easily and cheaply prevented with younger neuters that I have a different perspective. It's good that you have homes - even if you know them well, remember to do vet checks though. Get their vet's info and ask if all their pets currently are UTD on shots and spayed or neutered before you place a puppy with them.

In small breeds, pediatric neuters are pretty safe. You should probably keep them until 10 weeks anyway, so there will be more than enough time for neuters while you have them. If you had a great dane or something I wouldn't have even recommended it, though, as it has some growth effects in large breeds that aren't the best thing ever. But in cats and small dogs it's routine with most responsible rescues. They don't like placing intact animals into new homes.
I will be talking with my vet friday about the pediatric spay/neuter for the pups before they are rehomed. thank you for the information
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-23-2011, 02:09 PM
MandyPug's Avatar
MandyPug MandyPug is offline
Sport Model Pug
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 5,117
Default

It's because unfortunately a lot of people think thee are actual breeds when you don't put mix. It's the same when people put hybrid because they think it's something completely rare and special. Plus these kind of names were brought on by unsavoury people that wanted to make their puppies seem "more special" that the more favoured purebred dogs.

Just because the parents are the same mix doesn't make the pups automatically a purebred, doesn't work that way. Unfortunately people think it does. Especially puppy buyers, you wouldn't believe how many "purebred *insert breed here*-poo" people i get per day at my shop. It's awkward.

I'd also suggest stating this was an oops litter in whatever ad and only charging enough to cover shots and pediatric spays (which are rather safe for small breeds, most will bounce back right away), basically the bare minimum enough to just cover what care they get (though you might want to prepare for a c-section as shih-tzus tend to not have natural births... Plan to have enough set aside for around $700-1500 for a c-section).
__________________

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-23-2011, 02:11 PM
Dekka's Avatar
Dekka Dekka is offline
Just try me..
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 19,162
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShihPooLover View Post
We will most def be spaying her so this NEVER happens again, as for the listing for the puppies, she is a shih tzu cross poodle as is the male, I am curious as to why refering to her as a Shih Poo (which is short form for the 2 breeds) is not an acceptable statement? I am curious because I see these names for mixed breeds all the time.
For example-

Puggle
Labradoodle
Schnoodle
Yorkipoo
Pugapoo

These names are used to scam more money out of people. Who pays 1200 for a mutt?.. lots of people if you call them a labradoodle With the possible exception of a small group of labradoodle breeders there is no such thing as an ethical breeder of these dogs. These tend to be terms used by scammers and people who dont' know better. So many people think these are 'breeds' or a type of dog. And they might be a type in the broadest sense. But are no where near a breed. They are just cutsie made up names used for people who normally would be embarrassed to own a 'mutt' in many cases, or to convince them to pay a lot for unhealth tested dogs with no tracking or titles.

Mutts are great. People advertising dogs as 'somethingpoos' are trying to imply that is a 'thing'. It decieves people into thinking they are getting a set type of dog. The problem is that none of these crosses breed true to give you a type. It does the dog a disservice when someone thinks that they are getting a jackapoo just like their friends. But there really isnt' a set of characteristics that make up a jackapoo. It could be like a poodle, it could be like a JRT. It might be nothing like either of them cause chances are the parents are bad examples of the breed... Its not fair to the dogs to advertise them as something they are not. People can then be upset when they don't act as expected.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-23-2011, 02:18 PM
ShihPooLover ShihPooLover is offline
Active Pup
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyPug View Post
It's because unfortunately a lot of people think thee are actual breeds when you don't put mix. It's the same when people put hybrid because they think it's something completely rare and special. Plus these kind of names were brought on by unsavoury people that wanted to make their puppies seem "more special" that the more favoured purebred dogs.

Just because the parents are the same mix doesn't make the pups automatically a purebred, doesn't work that way. Unfortunately people think it does. Especially puppy buyers, you wouldn't believe how many "purebred *insert breed here*-poo" people i get per day at my shop. It's awkward.I'd also suggest stating this was an oops litter in whatever ad and only charging enough to cover shots and pediatric spays (which are rather safe for small breeds, most will bounce back right away), basically the bare minimum enough to just cover what care they get (though you might want to prepare for a c-section as shih-tzus tend to not have natural births... Plan to have enough set aside for around $700-1500 for a c-section).
I would never advertise them as a purebred, when it all comes down to it they are a mixed breed dog. I got lucky (I use the word loosly) that the male was of the same mix. They will be listed as what they are.

As for the C-section, I have money aside for my pets vet bills at all times. I am prepared for anything being a mom and pet owner you have to be.

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-23-2011, 04:58 PM
~Dixie's_Mom~'s Avatar
~Dixie's_Mom~ ~Dixie's_Mom~ is offline
♥Chloe & Violet♥
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 8,021
Default



Here, I fixed the picture for you (wasn't showing up for me) she's beautiful!!!

Good luck with them, you sound like a GREAT owner.
__________________
Lauren
You can't fly unless you let yourself fall.


Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-23-2011, 05:16 PM
ShihPooLover ShihPooLover is offline
Active Pup
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 18
Default

Thank you, I agree she is beautiful.....she is groomed there you should see her when her hair grows out...its funny.....
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:32 AM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site