Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-24-2004, 01:44 PM
Top Dog

Default Can you believe this?

My husband and I just went to the Flea Market on the Tennessee State Fair Grounds. It has got some really cool stuff, but we went in one building and there were a lot of people in there. They had puppies for sale at the Flea market. Pure bred, but I imagine buying one would be promoting a puppy mill. Not sure though, but my husband and I were speculating. They were all smaller breed dogs, no big ones. I just thought it was odd that they had all those puppies, but I didn't stop to see what it was about, there were too many people in the way.
Old 10-24-2004, 02:31 PM
Felurian

Smells bad to me, too.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 10-24-2004, 08:20 PM
aka RedHotBabe

I agree with Renee. Definitely not a good place to obtain a pet.

One of my pet peeves is people at Petsmart. The last two times I've been there, there were people parading around with their Boxer puppies. They were uncropped, their tails were docked around the first vertebrae, and they overall weren't close to the standard. Then there was the Pomeranian about the size of a German Pinscher. (My brain has turned off and that's the only breed that came to mind.) I guess they could have been rescues, but I'd bet against it.
Old 10-25-2004, 02:21 AM
Labrador lover!!!!!

Thats really bad i would'nt get nothing from there, but in the other hand i would to get the puppies out of there and take them home to be safe and warm!!!
6 bunnies~fluffy, muffin,bugsy, buttons,twigglets,forsty
2 gerbils~cheese and pickels
2 g.pigs~buzz and dizzy
Old 10-25-2004, 08:58 AM
Spoiled Rotten Dog

Here in Texas, people are always selling puppies at flea markets...
Old 10-25-2004, 11:00 AM

around here animals are always for sale at the flea market. Pups of all types...pedigree (maybe) pups that just need a home, ducks, geese, chickens...you name it. I don't agree with it totally......but if it finds a little guy a home, then it's good. My hubby has to drag me past all animals I see....truly...lol Poor little kittens.........oh, I smile when I see someone has taken one cause MAYBE they'll have a good home. Rabbits....it goes on and on. NO.....not the perfect place to find a pet, but IF..IF it gets one of them a loving home..so be it.
Old 10-25-2004, 12:38 PM
Are you dead yet?

Yep.. Around here there are a lot of people who sell dogs at flea markets. That's where one of my friends got her chihuahua.
My problem with it is that it's basically an impulse buy. The buyer knows nothing about the breeder because most of the time, the buyer doesn't even visit the breeder's home. Usually when they are so caught up in the moment they forget to ask about things like health testing, registration, and contracts. All they hear is: "She's a real sweetie.. I'd sell her for $200." and they take her.
My friend's chihuahuas are nice dogs, I just wish that she would have checked out the breeder before she got them. IMO both were terrible BYB. Her first pup turned out to have ringworm when she bought him, and her second one turned out to be a full month younger than they thought.
Old 10-25-2004, 12:57 PM

I agree..at a flea market, it is an impulse buy........not always a good thing. But, the folks at any of our flea markets don't sugar coat anything........just put the little animal out there for people to see. The 'good' thing.......I don't see anyone asking big prices...mostly just trying to get the little animal a home. So, it isn't anyone pretending to be a breeder........just folks that have a little critter that needs a home. I know that I've considered many a little guy...while walking by........be it a duck, or a pup..........and, if I can sound totally dorky here............I'd be a very good home, so I like to think there are other folks just like me..that may take in an animal and just love it to pieces!! We are an area of farm people........maybe that makes a difference??? don't know....but I still am all for folks bringing their little pals to the flea market..........impulse, or not............hey, it may bring a home.
Old 10-25-2004, 04:00 PM
Big Dog

I bought my first Yorkie and one of those type places and I paid for it with with my broken heart and a 10,000. vet bill that accumulated over a 4 year time period. I would have paid more if I knew the vets could save him but...

I learned a lesson when buying a puppy to ask to see the mother and/or father and that is what I did when I got Scooter - he has been the best dogs ever! I am not saying all dogs purchased at flea markets or on the side of the rode will be like my experience but its a risk you take. I no longer go to flea markets that sell puppies becuase I cant stand to see that kind of business, too emotional for me. I just want to ask the people selling the puppies isnt the over all well fair of the puppy more important that making a buck - dont they care about WHO they are selling to? Do they ask questions?
Old 10-25-2004, 06:51 PM

Well, that's just the thing...at my flea markets nobody is asking any kind of big money........mostly no money. They come to the market to try and find the pup (or whatever) a home. At least I feel like they try......some folks just take them to the pound and don't care a bit. In my area I've never seen anyone trying to make big money on an animal.