Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 03-17-2011, 07:13 PM
Top Dog

Default Breeding Hearty Eaters

I know quite a lot of small(toy) dogs very well, at least 40-50 of them, one thing I've found is that many of them have very very poor appetites which concerns me.

For example, a lot of Papillons are poor eaters. Nia is one. She'll often not eat for 2 days at a time even though she's doing better recently. When you put food down she just pushes it around and we've tried 10 min 2 meals a day, remove if not eaten and she'd just starve and starve and starve until she lost dangerous amounts of weight. She also refuses to eat 2 meals a day no matter how small the meals are and I've come to accept it. She's not fed 1 meal a day, left there until she decides to eat it/finish it. I don't leave piles of food lying around though, just enough for her one day's worth.

Same with a few of my friends' Malteses. They just don't eat. You can entice them with other foods and stuff and they will eat a little but it's so difficult. They lose weight a lot and it's very inconvenient imo.

I think if I were breeding, I would be looking for good examples of the breed but also with good eating habits. For example, if I need to put Nia on a 20 hr flight. Lets say the flight leaves in the afternoon, and she ate the night before. I'm supposed to feed a meal, poop the dog before boarding her for the trip but if she refuses to eat and they don't let you keep food in the carrier, she will be starving for almost 2 days without food.

Same thing with if they need surgery or something. They tell you to feed at a certain time, if your dog doesn't eat, they'll just have to wait until post-op and after the period the vet says.

I just find it a huge hassle, plus it's more dangerous to the dogs' health because of low blood sugar if they're going on a plane ride or surgery that complicates the task at hand.

What do you guys think?
Old 03-17-2011, 08:13 PM
Top Dog

I completely agree. It drives me crazy to have a dog that doesn't care about food, and as you said, it's dangerous.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:22 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Funny you should mention this -- a LOT of the Papillons I know are also terrible eaters...

I've not dealt with this issue personally, thank heavens, but I can see how it could be anywhere from annoying to a real nightmare depending on severity and logistics...

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 03-17-2011, 08:47 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

I work at an upscale pet food supply outlet, and most of the people who come in have very small dogs. I cannot even tell you how many returns I do in a day for dogs that simply will not eat anything. Or they eat it for a few weeks than want something else.

We should (crossing fingers here!) be getting a baked food in soon that smells REALLY good, and I am hoping that a lot of our problem dog customers will do well on it. Other than that a lot of them have gotten stuck on Bil-Jac, bleck.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:49 PM
We are Home.

Moms Havanese is that way. She will literally have to get down on the floor and hand feed her some days because she refused to eat for so long.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 03-17-2011, 08:49 PM
Top Dog

I remember that Laurelin said that some of the lines produce Paps that appear to eat quite well and that one of Mia's parents eats well and she does too. That's what made me bring it up.

Picky eating habits is so big in the Pap breed and I'm wondering if it could be counted as a very mild health issue.

Nia has not had any problems starving and becoming hypoglycemic or anything like that but she has lost a lb in a week from not eating. Her total body weight is only 6.5 lbs so for her 1 lb is a lot. I think it's a real concern for me especially since Nia didn't eat well before she was about to get spayed. The vet almost refused her spay after waiting for more than a month for a spot because she was so thin.

Exercise really helps her eat. When she gets 2 hrs of running or so a day, she has a pretty good appetite most of the time but just getting a dog to eat shouldn't be this hard.

I don't mind a non-food motivated dog but if a dog is starving itself and losing weight quite a lot then I find that to be a problem.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:53 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
I work at an upscale pet food supply outlet, and most of the people who come in have very small dogs. I cannot even tell you how many returns I do in a day for dogs that simply will not eat anything. Or they eat it for a few weeks than want something else.

We should (crossing fingers here!) be getting a baked food in soon that smells REALLY good, and I am hoping that a lot of our problem dog customers will do well on it. Other than that a lot of them have gotten stuck on Bil-Jac, bleck.
Hmm I don't honestly know if it will help. I know for a fact that Nia doesn't eat any food on time, the moment I put it down for long. I've tried like everything. At least 6 brands of kibble. Freeze dried, raw, cooked, just chicken, air dried, canned and everything else you can think of.

In the end, I just make her eat whatever I choose and I don't really worry or fret about her not eating on time anymore. I just put it down when it's dinner time and she can eat it whenever or not eat if she doesn't want to.

But I'm just thinking about how a lot of dogs lose weight during old age and eat less, etc. For a dog that already doesn't eat, having some kind of small illness and not eating or maybe from age could kill her.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:03 PM
Top Dog

I don't know what I'd do with a picky dog. Jack is choosy about his food, but not to that extent. He just refuses to eat hard biscuit-type treats, and he won't eat kibble plain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post

Which brand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiyo-Fir View Post
Hmm I don't honestly know if it will help. I know for a fact that Nia doesn't eat any food on time, the moment I put it down for long. I've tried like everything. At least 6 brands of kibble. Freeze dried, raw, cooked, just chicken, air dried, canned and everything else you can think of.
Have you tried a dehydrated food, like The Honest Kitchen or Sojos? I've found that this works really well for some pickier dogs at work.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:07 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustaLilBitaLuck View Post
Have you tried a dehydrated food, like The Honest Kitchen or Sojos? I've found that this works really well for some pickier dogs at work.
Yup I've tried dehydrated, she doesn't like it. For her, I honestly don't think it's about brand or what food she's getting. It's been the same with every single product.

I literally mean I gave her chicken (raw) continuously for 3 days. She ate it for the first 2 days and refused to eat it for 48 hrs. Chicken. LOL. I don't really worry much about it anymore. She does fine on high quality kibble and I can leave it for her to finish later if she didn't eat whereas I can't with dehydrated raw, or raw.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:25 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
Which brand?
Lotus.

I am really hoping that they decide we can carry it, it looks really good. Plus, they are offering an employee feeder program
I know our store manager and a few other managers have been sending emails to corporate in support. RFG is going to start stocking it. I have some samples and Frodo thinks they are doggy crack, lol.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.