Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 05-18-2011, 05:54 AM
CindrelaAlbertX

I went to the hairdresser on Friday and said that his glands were filled and drained them, she also around 20 seconds. Although all weekend I was biting back, I wonder if something is still not fair in that area. Their feces are usually on the hard side, so I'm not sure what is happening. Yes, I am sensitive, especially to smell. I hope not to have to do this every two months.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:55 PM
Owned by Fidget

I do it myself. There are some good articles online - videos are the best (altho gross to some) I don't remember which ones I used...if I find them I will post 'em.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:48 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Ass results
*giggles*

Quote:
Your hairdresser can also be trained to perform an anal gland expression
*hysterical fits of laughter*
Old 08-29-2011, 08:02 AM
Felurian

NOW you may safely click on the sig

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 09-02-2011, 06:53 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
Removing the anal glands also leaves a BIG chance that the dog will become fecally incontinent. I'd take anal glands over that any day. Marsupialization of the anal glands is a slightly better option than removing them.
You wouldn't say that if you've ever had a dog with really bad problems with them.

I've had friends that have had their dog's anal sacs removed and none had anything more than a temporary incontinence issues. Like a day or two, so when King needed the left one done, due to chronic infections (nothing worked, and he was getting pretty miserable because of it), I wasn't too worried. I took a whole week off work, just in case he had issues. About 3 hours after I brought him home, he made his first movement without any problems. His main problem seemed to be he was depressed due to the opaque cone that the vet put on his head. Once I got one he could see through, he was fine, making Molly miserable by using the cone as a battering ram. By the end of the two weeks until his stitches were due to be taken out, I was sick of being hit in the legs too. About 2 hours before I was supposed to take him to the vet, I took the cone off. When we got to the vet, they took him in the back to remove the stitches, but he had already done a "nice job" taking them out himself.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:00 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
Removing the anal glands also leaves a BIG chance that the dog will become fecally incontinent. I'd take anal glands over that any day. Marsupialization of the anal glands is a slightly better option than removing them.
There comes a point when they get so bad, the dog is miserable. King's right one was constantly infected, and had a nasty, smelly discharge. Even after a long course of several antibiotics, and irragation of the sac, which cured it on my last dog that had issues with it, it just never really got better.

My vet was one of the ones recommended by the local kennel club, so I wasn't too worried about there being any problems like incontinence. After I got him home, he went normally the next morning, and except for some pain on night, bad enough I took him to the emergency vet for a pain shot, the recovery was quick and uneventful. He even removed his own stitches a couple of hours before I took him in to have them removed, and he did a very good job of it, as he had years ago when he was neutered.