Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 03-17-2011, 01:02 PM
Active Pup

Default Anal Gland Excretion

My 16 month old Golden has had his anal gland expressed a few times. The first time the vet suggested it because he kept dragging his butt. The next time he stunk so bad and I had a groomer do it and she said they were full.
Well it's been 2 months since the last time it was done and he's dragging his butt quite a bit now although I haven't smelt anything as bad as last time.

My question is is this something that will need to be done regularly. Is it ok to have a groomer to this instead of a vet? Groomer charges $15 and Vet charges $43.

Thanks!
Old 03-17-2011, 01:07 PM
Top Dog

Groomers can do it instead of the vet, and for some dogs it is something that needs to be done regularly. You can even learn to do it yourself.

Another thing to try is to add canned pumpkin to his food and see if that helps. The fiber sometimes helps bulk up the stool enough that the anal glands get expressed on their own, like they should.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:46 PM
Active Pup

I am not sure what you mean by bulked up stool?
Old 03-17-2011, 03:06 PM
Thanks, and Gig 'em.

Quote:
Is it ok to have a groomer to this instead of a vet? Groomer charges $15 and Vet charges $43.
Wow, that's ridiculous. We charge $10.

Yah a groomer can do it as long as it's not impacted/ruptured/etc. Or you can just do it yourself (I'd get someone who knows what they're doing to show you first though).

Quote:
I am not sure what you mean by bulked up stool?
More fiber to produce a harder stool. It's the pressure from the feces that presses on the sacs that expresses them naturally. If they're not hard enough, sometimes they don't get expressed.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, throughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --- 'WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!!!' " - Author Unknown
Old 03-18-2011, 12:33 PM
Top Dog

You might even want to learn how to do it yourself if you're not too squeemish. It's pretty easy
Old 03-21-2011, 11:22 AM
Active Pup

I went to groomer on Friday and she said his glands were full and drained them, too her all of 20 seconds. Although all weekend he was biting his backside, I'm wondering if something is still not right in that area.
His stool is usually on the hard side so I am not sure what is going on.
Yes I am squeamish, especially to smell. I hope I don't have to do this every couple of months.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:10 PM
Top Dog

Has he been de-wormed recently? If it's not the glands that would be my second guess at the scooting/backside biting.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:55 AM
Top Dog

you might also consider having the glands removed if he has a continuing problem.

The majority of dogs NEVER need their anal glands expressed, once it starts, it's usually something that has to be continually done. Also can result in perianal fistula's from gland problems, (been there done this twice)..Having the glands removed by a surgeon who knows what they're doing can get rid of the problem once and for all.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:45 AM
Top Dog

Removing the anal glands also leaves a BIG chance that the dog will become fecally incontinent. I'd take anal glands over that any day. Marsupialization of the anal glands is a slightly better option than removing them.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:07 PM
Big Dog

The reason the vet charges more is because they do it from the inside (actually stick finger in there and remove every last bit). The groomer squeezes from the outside, which is fine for most dogs, but I'd say your's probably needs to see the vet. I'd also switch the food to something that produces larger firmer stools and see if that helps.