Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 03-14-2011, 08:19 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

Question Advice for me!

I need some advice.

When the time comes that I find a breeder that I want to get a puppy from, but I only have a general idea when I can bring a puppy home. Even if its a few years give or take from now should I contact the breeder now and put in a puppy application and do all that stuff. Or would the breeder think I am wasting their time.

Thanks again guys for your awesomeness!!

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 03-14-2011, 08:23 PM
Resident fainting goat

I think as long as you mention in the email/application that you are not sure when you will be bringing a puppy home (and that it could be a year or more) and that you are just inquiring and want to be kept updated, then I see no reason why you shouldn't get in contact with a breeder
I think its never too early to start asking questions and building that relationship with them..

but DO make sure to tell them your timeframe.

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:25 PM
treehugging clicker freak

If it were me (and this is what I did lol) I would contact them now and let them know what your intentions are. IMO this gives them more time to get to know you, too... you can "learn" about and from each other in the meantime I would think a good breeder would appreciate the effort in researching and making a good decision and all that jazz

But, that's just me

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 03-15-2011, 12:12 AM
Puppy Dog

If you're not getting a puppy for a few years, I wouldn't be contacting breeders at this time. Get to know them from a distance, hopefully through the breed clubs, breed publications, breed newsgroups and forums, shows, etc. What you think you want now may vary quite a bit in a few years, and the breeders you think you want to deal with now may also vary quite a bit in a few years. Any puppy application you fill out now could also have very different answers from you in a few years.

Contacting the breeders you are serious about within 6 months to a year of your anticipated puppy time frame should be adequate.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:54 PM
BRT - "the black watch"

"Reputable breeders" who actually breed primarily for money, oftentimes don't want to be bothered until you're ready to slap down your cheque. For them, it's simply a sale, and they'd like to get through it as efficiently as possible.

I agree with Fran and Brat. Developing a "relationship" with your potential future breeder (within reason, of course), can only help...

Truly good breeders (especially of those with breeds which are more challenging to place) absolutely love talking about their breed and their dogs. They enjoy educating people, and sharing their knowledge...

Finding good homes for their puppies is often a challenging process. Good breeders genuinely appreciate finding potential future owners who bother to take the time to do their research, so they can make a good and informed decision. The last thing the breeder wants is a puppy returned, or worse, ending up in rescue, or worse still ...
Old 03-18-2011, 03:27 PM
Love My Mutt <3

I would start contacting whenever you want Breeders LOVE to talk about their dogs, and will be so happy that you are interested in their dogs, and want to know about their dogs. You can build more of a relationship this way, get to know their dogs before committing to a dog from them, etc

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 03-18-2011, 06:12 PM
Hits the Mark

I started contacting breeders about a year before I got Aero. It's good to have options, see different litters being born, make good contacts and potential future conne tins for getting puppies from!

Rachel McWhirter
WetPaint Productions

Chek Out Aero's YouTube Page!

The Fetching Merle Blog

Add Me on DogDayzz! ID:Rachel #13971