Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-25-2004, 11:38 PM
Top Dog

Maybe you can do something about it? I would rat them out to the police or the humane society. Someone should definately be looking into that. Definately smells fishy to me.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:39 AM
Felurian

It can make a difference in a farm community. I've learned it's a completely different world; farm people tend to be more aware of an animal's health and physical soundness when they choose their own pets. Even given that, I'm not crazy about the idea of selling animals at flea markets; you just can't know what kind of home they're going to. And it would be different if any money taken in went to spaying and neutering the parents, but we all know the chances of that happening . . .

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 10-27-2004, 05:22 PM
Top Dog

The prices on the cages were around $150 - $200 or so. Nothing really big. I think $250 may be the highest I saw. I am not saying it is bad for people to take them, every animal should have a LOVING home, I mean I got Brady from a lady whose dog had 13 puppies because she never got her spayed, and I LOVE that dog so much. I just wondred if these were puppy mill breeders trying to make a quick buck on these little guys. I do hope someone takes them and takes care of them, I just hope that if they do come from a puppy mill, someone can shut them down. speaking of, there is a lady that lives about 5 miles from me ( it looks like i live in the country, but in a neighborhood that was built back there and I am about 6 miles in from every direction from the bigger roads, so it is not really the county, but anyway) and she is an older lady and always has a sign in her yard that says puppies $150-200, and it says from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. There are fenced off kennels in her back yard, and I even saw a little secret looking road that goes back there on her property (I found it only because I saw her driving on it) But you can't see really well, I just see overgrowth and kennels. I feel it is suspicious because it is a homemade sign and what the heck kind of puppies is she selling? it doesn't say. What can you do to get someone to check into it?

on a better note, there is a reputable breeder living about 3 miles from em that sells Norweigan elkhounds. i saw some puppies out frolicking one day when I was driving by. supposedly she is a really great breeder to get them from if that is what you want. the downside to this is I can't remember her name. But her dogs are beautiful, i have seen some of the ones she has when i looked them up online. She has a sign in her yard too, but it only says Norweigan Elkhounds in this really beautiful wood that was very tastfully done. If I wanted that kind of dog i would definently check her out.
Old 10-27-2004, 05:50 PM

Wow..now, I'd be leary of that first lady. Sounds like she is just popping out puppies for cash. Wonder if you could have the humane society sort of spot check her..can you ask that without giving your name?? She may have some very poor conditions.
Old 10-27-2004, 06:45 PM
Top Dog

Yeah but who do I report her to? the police? the humane society? That is what I don't know. and how do you say it, just tell them what I have seen (the sign, and kennels, etc) and see if they think it is worth looking into? To me it would be, but how do they judge that? I guess they have to look into every report they get.

(edit) oops sorry Serena, I didn't see your link to reporting a puppy mill.