Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-11-2011, 04:02 AM
puppydog's Avatar
puppydog puppydog is offline
Tru evil has no pantyline
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 7,500
Default This is a big worry!!

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/res...imal-breeding/

This is one slippery slope! Who gets to decide on what gets to breed? What will happen to rare breeds like my Paps or working dogs. I am NOT happy!
__________________


Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-11-2011, 05:59 AM
Specsy's Avatar
Specsy Specsy is offline
Owned by Rottweilers
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: South Africa
Posts: 626
Default

I was going to write something really intelligent and well researched and lengthy here, but I think it may come across as cocky and over stepping the line and I have already angered a lot of Rottweiler breeders on the subject, and impressed just a grand total of 3 from I don't really know how many, so all I am going to say is, it's only relevant to Johannesburg at the moment, who are already in a big crap hole because you already need to get permits to have more than 2 dogs or 3 cats or something. So blah.
__________________
-Alicia

Disclaimer: Current avatar was found on Google, I don't own the image
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-11-2011, 08:07 AM
puppydog's Avatar
puppydog puppydog is offline
Tru evil has no pantyline
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 7,500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specsy View Post
I was going to write something really intelligent and well researched and lengthy here, but I think it may come across as cocky and over stepping the line and I have already angered a lot of Rottweiler breeders on the subject, and impressed just a grand total of 3 from I don't really know how many, so all I am going to say is, it's only relevant to Johannesburg at the moment, who are already in a big crap hole because you already need to get permits to have more than 2 dogs or 3 cats or something. So blah.
What is your stance on it though?

If it passes in JHB it could very well spread. I don't intend to allow that!
__________________


Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-11-2011, 08:34 AM
Specsy's Avatar
Specsy Specsy is offline
Owned by Rottweilers
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: South Africa
Posts: 626
Default

Try and understand me, I am a lot better at talking than I am at typing. Realise that this post is South African based and South African Rottweiler based because Rottweilers are really what I know but I am sure it will translate to other breeds and MAYBE to other countries.

I think that their approach is completely wrong, but I think the intention MIGHT have been good had there been appropriate Breed Registries that supported a greater cloud of thinking. It won't happen because they will lose money. Breeders won't support it, because they will lose money. I realise you are wanting to breed, and understand that I really want a puppy from you while you read this and if ever I know enough about the conformation and working world I would like to some time get a foundation Rottie bitch, because yes I want to change the world of breeding but no it may never happen but just read my ramblings, it might be fantastical but they are true sentiments.

My firm belief is that there are too many out of standard registered dogs, being able to breed and be sold for ridiculous amounts, because they are registered. I believe that firstly, this needs to stop. How? Dogs should only be allowed to be registered (I say registered and not bred because we actually want every dog to be a perfect representation of the breed, ultimately) if they WILL be spayed/neutered or if they have working and/or conformation TITLES AND make it compulsory to do health testing. Preferably (in the Rottweiler breed SPECIFICALLY) both options. The reason I say this is because Rotties are a working breed, their workability should be preserved but so should the way a Rottie should look. I think that if only these groups of dogs (fixed or titled) then there will only be excellent quality registered dogs out there to breed with. The way this could be controlled is to only allow dogs to be registered at the age of 1 or over, nothing under. Now I know that many people don't breed but have intact dogs and have no intention of doing sport, but then why do you need a registered dog? No reason if your dogs parents had already went through this scrutiny. It would solve A LOT of problems.

Then this is where the petition comes into play. If all the above that I mentioned was followed religiously then and only then do I think that maybe something like that should be implemented not to stop registered breeders from breeding but to stop EVERYONE else from breeding.

Now I haven't reread the stuff I just typed so do comment and allow me to redeem and explain myself with any questions you ask.
__________________
-Alicia

Disclaimer: Current avatar was found on Google, I don't own the image
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-11-2011, 08:45 AM
puppydog's Avatar
puppydog puppydog is offline
Tru evil has no pantyline
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 7,500
Default

I do agree with you in theory. Unfortunately what they are wanting to do is technically place an outright ban on breeding of all dogs.

This is a slippery slope. How do you legislate? Who checks whether the dog is up to standard and more importantly, how do they police it? We can't even keep our own government in check, and as I said to DARG in my post it will just ban the responsible breeders leaving the township and backyard dogs to carry on as usual.

I would love to see them going into the Eastern Cape and telling a pair of mating Africanis to stopitnowplease.
__________________


Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-11-2011, 08:49 AM
Specsy's Avatar
Specsy Specsy is offline
Owned by Rottweilers
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: South Africa
Posts: 626
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppydog View Post
I would love to see them going into the Eastern Cape and telling a pair of mating Africanis to stopitnowplease.
I look at dogs at Wet Nose where I volunteer and see Africanis written and I am like "WHAT THE BLEEP IS AN AFRICANIS?! It's a glorified mix of everything, nobody knows what, but wants to give the mix of who knows what a name. Honestly that's what it is. AND that statement right there made me LOL.

Yes I know what I wrote is fantastical. I said it.

The legislation WILL NOT be enforceable and I am speaking from a little bit of law back ground. It will not be passed. Ever, because the aim is to not make unenforceable laws.
__________________
-Alicia

Disclaimer: Current avatar was found on Google, I don't own the image
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-11-2011, 08:54 AM
puppydog's Avatar
puppydog puppydog is offline
Tru evil has no pantyline
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 7,500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specsy View Post
I look at dogs at Wet Nose where I volunteer and see Africanis written and I am like "WHAT THE BLEEP IS AN AFRICANIS?! It's a glorified mix of everything, nobody knows what, but wants to give the mix of who knows what a name. Honestly that's what it is. AND that statement right there made me LOL.
Nope, you are wrong here. It is a breed. It is genetically unique and has been breeding true for centuries.

Some info on it

Amazon.com: The Story of the African Dog (9781869140243): Johan Gallant: Books
Great book! Well worth the read. I have it.

Africanis: dog of Africa - SouthAfrica.info

http://www.kusa.co.za/images/Documen.../Africanis.pdf
Breed standard
__________________


Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-11-2011, 09:11 AM
Specsy's Avatar
Specsy Specsy is offline
Owned by Rottweilers
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: South Africa
Posts: 626
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppydog View Post
Nope, you are wrong here. It is a breed. It is genetically unique and has been breeding true for centuries.

Some info on it

Amazon.com: The Story of the African Dog (9781869140243): Johan Gallant: Books
Great book! Well worth the read. I have it.

Africanis: dog of Africa - SouthAfrica.info

http://www.kusa.co.za/images/Documen.../Africanis.pdf
Breed standard
Honestly though, do you really think the shelter dogs are Africanis'? They are glorified mixes of who knows what and just have a name placed on them... It is true. I have seen this

LOL WAIT ETA: I realise what my last post that you replied to said lol so sorry, I didn't reread when posted and now I reread it I see what it was interpreted as or rather what it actually say lol, I didn't mean that Africanis isn't a breed I meant that it isn't the breed shelters tend to lable as such. I left out a word, and it changed my sentence this WHAT THE BLEEP IS AN AFRICANIS?! should read this : WHAT THE BLEEP IS this AN AFRICANIS!? I left out the, this... oops
__________________
-Alicia

Disclaimer: Current avatar was found on Google, I don't own the image
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-11-2011, 09:22 AM
puppydog's Avatar
puppydog puppydog is offline
Tru evil has no pantyline
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 7,500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specsy View Post
Honestly though, do you really think the shelter dogs are Africanis'? They are glorified mixes of who knows what and just have a name placed on them... It is true. I have seen this

LOL WAIT ETA: I realise what my last post that you replied to said lol so sorry, I didn't reread when posted and now I reread it I see what it was interpreted as or rather what it actually say lol, I didn't mean that Africanis isn't a breed I meant that it isn't the breed shelters tend to lable as such. I left out a word, and it changed my sentence this WHAT THE BLEEP IS AN AFRICANIS?! should read this : WHAT THE BLEEP IS this AN AFRICANIS!? I left out the, this... oops
Oh, I get you!

Yeah, I guess it sounds better then Heinz 57 on the cage door. They have also become quite trendy now so everyone must haz Africanz dog!

8 years ago it was GSD mix or Lab mix. Now everything and sundry is an Africanis!
__________________


Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-11-2011, 09:32 AM
Specsy's Avatar
Specsy Specsy is offline
Owned by Rottweilers
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: South Africa
Posts: 626
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppydog View Post
Oh, I get you!

Yeah, I guess it sounds better then Heinz 57 on the cage door. They have also become quite trendy now so everyone must haz Africanz dog!

8 years ago it was GSD mix or Lab mix. Now everything and sundry is an Africanis!
My sentiments exactly, let go get us an Africanis Ashlea? It's the new Paris Hilton breed. We will be the secks I promise you.
__________________
-Alicia

Disclaimer: Current avatar was found on Google, I don't own the image
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:32 PM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site