Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Photography

Old 03-09-2011, 01:21 AM
Top Dog

Default Photo hosting sites

What is your favorite place to host photos?

I've been using Tinypic just for its ease of use. But now that I'm starting to take my photography a little more seriously, I'm not happy with the picture quality after something is uploaded through Tinypic. The images on my computer are nice and clear and sharp, and when I upload them they're less sharp and pixelized in places.

I used to use Photobucket and I don't remember why I stopped, but I was not too fond of them. The site also generally runs slowly for me.

I have heard good things about Flickr, but from what I understand they limit how many you can upload/see unless you pay to upgrade? I just paid for my Picnik subscription and don't really want to pay for image hosting at the moment is I don't have to.

The pictures look fine when I put them in Facebook, but I know sometimes they don't show up on Chaz (or at least not for everyone) when they're posted from Facebook.

Any suggestions?
Old 03-09-2011, 10:38 AM
Agility freak!

If you're using Facebook, all you need to do is right click and get the (supposing you're using Firefox) "Image Location" that should make it so everyone can see it when you use it here. That's what I do with mine, because I'm in the same situation. Sadly, I think I'm going to have to go back to Photobucket. (and I have the same issue of it running slow!)

ETA: I find, personally, that facebook kills the quality of my pictures, though. So I hate using it.

Zoey - Mini Aussie / Psyche - Border Collie / Simi - GSD
Forever Missed Bella - GSD [03-11-07 - 09-17-10]
Going For 'Good Dog!' Blog
Old 03-09-2011, 10:46 AM
Top Dog

Facebook does redcue quality, and also, its harder to use if you use some browsers.

I can honestly not fault Flickr. Its fast, easy to use, and the quality doesn't change. It's excellent to be able to put sets in multiple folders and keep them together. It's only like $25 a year or something like that, I bought a year first, loved it so much I renewed another 2 years. It really is worth it, and you can have unlimited photos and videos too (although they are limited to 90 seconds in length). The website is also very fast, for uploading and browsing photos!

You can see some of my photos here - http://www.flickr.com/photos/chocolatebubbles/sets/ - if you want to see any quality or anything like that.

My Photos
Old 03-09-2011, 06:00 PM
Top Dog

I like SmugMug. It does cost something, though I forget how much I paid. But you can also google smugmug code and get 20% off. I also have PhotoBucket but prefer SmugMug.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:07 PM
Twin 2

I use a paid Flickr account that MHMR's was nice enough to get my for my birthday. I love Flickr now.

I still find it odd some people can't see the facebook pictures when they're posted using the image link
Old 03-09-2011, 11:53 PM
Top Dog

Thanks for the input guys! I may end up breaking down and getting Flickr at some point. But I just paid $25 for Picnik and I have show premiums to pay soon

Facebook is definitely not as high-quality as it is on my hard drive, but it's MUCH better than Tinypic. Especially if I upload as high-quality on Facebook.

I did just remember DeviantArt. I have an account there now (that's where I pulled the mimosa pic from a couple years ago from - original is still on my laptop). But I may make a new account just for my "new project" (the other one is so very cluttered and blah).
Old 03-10-2011, 04:38 PM
Top Dog

I currently use flickr because photobucket changes my edits after they changed their site.

I used to loooove Photobucket and was 100% devoted to photobucket.

I use imageshack from time to time as well but the format of their site makes me irritated because it's hard to use.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:44 PM
Just try me..

I have flickr and photobucket. I mostly use photobucket as I take oodles and oodles of pics and I don't have the spare cash to upgrade. I like both. I find photobucket easy, and flickr's lines at the bottom of ppls posts irritate me lol.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:26 PM
Not a Border Collie

I like flickr and I think it's worth it to upgrade, which hopefully I will be doing soon, woo!

I've also used MyPhotoAlbum. It's free, very easy to organize, and I really like it. I don't use it for sharing pictures of the dogs or anything so I can't comment on it for that, but if I've taken pictures for someone I just make them an album and send them a link.

If I'm just uploading something quick and one-time, I'll use imageshack. Unlike Tinypic it doesn't totally butcher quality, you don't have to type in any code, and I believe you can upload more than 1 at a time.

Quinn - English Shepherd

Old 03-10-2011, 05:28 PM
Just try me..

Anyone use imgur? I use it for another site all the time. ITs reallly easy, for one time sharing.