Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 10-13-2005, 12:25 AM
Training the Trainer

Default Need urgent help

My partner just rang me and said that he had had a call from the ranger, saying that Ruby had been barking non-stop all day.

We haven't spent much time with her over the last couple of days due to many other committments, and we know she is bored and lonely at the moment.

We feel dreadful and have been considering for a long time getting another dog as a companion for her.

Does anyone have any advice?

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare, and love we can spare. In return they give us their all. It is the best deal man has ever made
Old 10-13-2005, 12:27 AM
Island dweller

How long is she alone? How long will these other committments be going on? Another dog is not always the solution. You don't want two dogs that are neglected. And your first dog may just teach the second one to bark as well.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:28 AM
Training the Trainer

She is left alone during the day while we are at work, but the last two nights she has been alone at night, too, so she's only had her 1 hour walk with us in the afternoon both days.

The committments are over, it was only last night and the night before.

Normally she spends the entire night with us as soon as we are home from work.

She sleeps outside though and we have decided she will sleep with us at night.

We are also going to get up early and take her for an hour walk each morning, now, as well.

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare, and love we can spare. In return they give us their all. It is the best deal man has ever made
Old 10-13-2005, 12:38 AM
Taco Dog

Sounds like a good idea. I am sure she is just lonely. A second dog might not be the best thing right now. I would "work" on Ruby for awhile, then maybe consider another one.

"A righteous man has regard for the life of his beast." Proverbs 12:10

http://www.petfinder.com
Old 10-13-2005, 12:52 AM
Rusty but Trusty

as long as now that the other commitments are over and she wasn't barking like this before she should be fine. I wouldn't suggest getting another dog because then they both will bark. I would definetely let her sleep with you guys at night though she'd probably be happier.

Old 10-13-2005, 12:56 AM
Island dweller

Yeah, you guys should be fine from now on. Good idea letting her sleep inside with you.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:05 AM
Training the Trainer

Thanks guys I am SO upset for her - sweet baby.

She is a little bit of a barker at night but not for long.

We're going to do some more training with her as well so she'll be a bit more mentally stimulated.

Old 10-13-2005, 01:10 AM
Island dweller

That's good Ruby. And if you just have her you'll be able to give her even more of your time. Trust me, I have three dogs (and my roomies puppy) and it gets spread pretty thin. Give it time and if you are ready for another dog you won't have to question the decision.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:38 AM
Whitedobelover

wait how old is she. if she is a baby no...w ait till you have her potty trained... coming from experience as you can see on my siggy that i have two kids it isnt fun... dont do it... wait till she is older but try to spend more time... because even with a companion the problem remains she will still get bored and bark and then you will have two barkers lol
Old 10-13-2005, 09:49 PM
Training the Trainer

Grrrrrrrr turns out it wasn't even her!!

I took the rest of the day off work, rushed home to see her, and found her lying happily - quietly - on the back patio chewing a bone.

The dog two doors down, however, was barking hysterically.

Morons.

I did end up taking her to the dog beach for a couple of hours, buying her some new toys and having the world's longest run with her. She was so stuffed she fell asleep at 7.30 and didn't budge for three hours!!!

So, it was nice to get to spend half the day with her, in any case!!