Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 03-03-2011, 11:03 AM
SimAlvin

Default How To You Keep Dogs Out Of A (Particular) Room In The House?

Even though our 2 dogs (both about 2 years old) get the morning before-we-go-to-work lecture about the 3 P's (Peeing, Pooping, and Puking) and the 2 D's (Destruction and Death), they manage to occasionally ignore the Destruction piece.

Yesterday they got into the living room (it's gated - they lifted the latch) and created major Marley-like havoc (wish I had a pic) - splintering coasters, tearing up magazines, and scattering pillows and chair covers.

We'd love to take down the gates, but we need to train them to stay out of this room. How do you do that?

Old 03-03-2011, 03:54 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I have yet to figure out how to teach a dog to stay out of a certain room without supervision. I use baby gates or another physical barrier (like a shut door). I can get the dogs to keep out of a room if we're in the room (like, if we are cooking in the kitchen and they need to keep their dog hair and noses away), but when we leave the rules aren't enforced and they know that. That is why the sleep on the couch when we're not home, but politely wait to be invited up when we in the room. lol

There are "invisible pet barriers" you could try if baby gates aren't working out for you.
"Silent" noise: Amazon.com: Lentek PB01C Pet Boundary Indoor Pet Barrier System: Kitchen & Dining
Shock: Amazon.com: PetSafe Pawz Away Extra Indoor Pet Barrier, ZND-1000: Kitchen & Dining

Old 03-03-2011, 04:37 PM
Top Dog

I've yet to find a way to do it without supervision.

How old are the dogs? Some dogs grow out of the destruction/chewing stage, some don't. Do they ever try to chew when you are home?

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 03-03-2011, 05:02 PM
Top Dog

Honestly I'd find a better/different gate and just work on training them not to destroy things or "puppy" proofing.

I think a LOT of body blocking could work for while you are home, you'd still need to gate it off when you are not though. Then you'd just have to hope that eventually a habit would just form, after getting body blocked out so many times, where they don't bother to try and enter the room. At that point try taking the gate down for a very short trip out and see if they stay out.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 03-03-2011, 05:57 PM
*Now with Snark*

When my nephew was in the last trimester we got an indoor invisible fence and then worked on training the dogs to stay out of the baby's room. It was consistent in a way that a person watching just can't be. It certainly is the only way to be sure that a dog stays out of a space while your eyeballs aren't on it.

Honestly though if my dogs were in destroy and disaster mode reindeer games while I wasn't home they'd be crated.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:24 AM
SimAlvin

Default Alvin and Simon Are A Tag Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
I've yet to find a way to do it without supervision.

How old are the dogs? Some dogs grow out of the destruction/chewing stage, some don't. Do they ever try to chew when you are home?
The dogs are both around 2 years old. They are both chewers, but Alvin seems to get great satisfaction from indestructible chew toys like goughnuts.

Simon is a thief and will steal a chair arm cover, a cell phone, a sock from the laundry, or whatever else he can get his mouth on, and then carry it out the back yard through the doggie door so they both can play tug of war.

So far this game has endured, even while we are at home. Maybe someday they will stop.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:29 AM
SimAlvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat09Tails View Post
When my nephew was in the last trimester we got an indoor invisible fence and then worked on training the dogs to stay out of the baby's room. It was consistent in a way that a person watching just can't be. It certainly is the only way to be sure that a dog stays out of a space while your eyeballs aren't on it.

Honestly though if my dogs were in destroy and disaster mode reindeer games while I wasn't home they'd be crated.
Interesting suggestion about the indoor invisible fence because my family members would never allow dog crating - they'd prefer property destruction over crating any day.