Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 03-02-2011, 08:15 PM
Active Pup

Default Any Akita Owners Here???

Just thinking about buying an Akita and liked to see if any owners are on here who can give pointers and advice about the breed. I know alot of the history, but know few owners who have experience with these dogs as they seem to be somewhat abscure. Looking for a pet, guard, campanion, & all around house dog
Old 03-02-2011, 09:47 PM
Felurian

I had a wonderful Akita/GSD -- more Akita than GSD -- rescue for years, one of the most intelligent animals I have ever had.

The Filas are in a whole 'nother category, lol, but Bear used to go on survey jobs with my dad and me. I could tell him to take me to the last station or the last point and he knew the difference. We had human helpers who never figured that out

He was also a certified pet therapy dog, but from what I have learned, that was a bit out of the norm for an Akita.

If I hadn't learned of Filas, it's very likely I'd have ended up with Akitas.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-03-2011, 08:48 AM
Active Pup

Go for it. I'm sure you'll love it.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:41 AM
Top Dog

They are a breed that requires an experienced owner, and dog aggression is not uncommon in the breed. I don't have tons of experience with them, but the few I've known have been pretty awesome. Very in-tune with their owners. I really suggest talking to some breeders or going to some shows in your area to meet a few before you make a decision, though, they're definitely not for everyone.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 03-04-2011, 07:54 AM
Active Pup

Now I've heard some people say they shed only twice a years and others say akitas shed year round?
Old 03-04-2011, 07:56 AM
Just try me..

What you feed and genetics will greatly influence shedding.

They are high shedders, but should do most of it twice a year. One of my best friend's family has always had Akitas. They are lovely dogs, but make sure you go with a breeder you trust and be honest about your experience.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:28 PM
Active Pup

Default I have an Akita :)

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Akita, she's the perfect dog for me (well, technically she's supposed to be my husband's dog, but she loves me more and I'm the only who cares for her) The vet I used to work for owned 3 that came to the clinic with him every day. They were the first Akitas I'd ever met and I fell in love with them, so when his breeder has a litter, we got one.
*They are a breed for people with dog experience only.*
The reason this is - they are GREAT dogs, but, it's CRUTIAL that they are made to understand that the human is the "alpha" right away. Honestly, any Akita you see or hear about that has "agression issues" wasn't properly trained or has an owner that's too "weak". They most certainly will dominate if you don't. That being said, if you know what you're doing and have a strong personality and are willing to devote time to training and lots of socializing during puppyhood, I really can't think of a better breed.

They are a pretty mellow breed and one good walk a day is usually all that's needed excersize wise (that's one of the main things that appealed to me, I don't like dogs that have to go like the energizer bunny all the time). They are VERY inteligent but because of this can be a bit subborn. They're not necessarily a "people pleasing" breed, they tend to be more like "what's in it for me?" lol, but Miya will do whatever we ask of her, it's just sometimes with a look like, you've got to be kiding me lol (another endearing quality that I personaly love though).
Shedding isn't too bad, it's twice a year. When they're blowing their coat, expect to brush them and vaccum everyday for about a week, but when it's done, barely a hair falls till the next shed (as long as they're on a high quality food of course)
Well, I could go on and on, but I covered the main basics I think. If you have any question let me know
Old 05-16-2011, 09:58 PM
The Giant Fluff

I have no experience with them, but I can say they are a breed I have admired for long of time. Not one I would take into my home though...aren't big enough.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:34 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL'sPack View Post
The reason this is - they are GREAT dogs, but, it's CRUTIAL that they are made to understand that the human is the "alpha" right away. Honestly, any Akita you see or hear about that has "agression issues" wasn't properly trained or has an owner that's too "weak". They most certainly will dominate if you don't.
I would look into some actual behaviorists (and not TV personalities) views on dominance theory and being the "alpha". It's a myth that dogs view their humans as part of a back and you need to be alpha. It's true than an Akita would need boundaries and strong-willed owner to reinforce these boundaries, but they problems come when a dog is allowed to get away with self-reinforcing behaviors, and prevented when a dog is guided into positive behavior.

Also, any dog of any breed that has "aggression issues" doesn't necessarily have improper training or a "weak" owner...genetics, traumatic experiences, or even just a throwback fearful personality can cause aggression issues. Mishandling will make these behaviors worse, but it doesn't ALWAYS cause them. And using "alpha" techniques like physically restraining an uncomfortable dog can cause aggression problems.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 05-17-2011, 12:12 AM
Top Dog

My old neighbors had three. Very, very nice dogs. I'm a big fan!

They shed all year like any dog, but massively blow their undercoats twice a year like all double coated breeds.