Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-23-2004, 08:47 PM
Felurian

Chaining a dog to "guard" makes no sense at all. Aside from being horribly cruel, chained dogs either bark at anything and everything, or become so depressed that they make no response at all. Why on earth would anyone want to chain another living creature up in such a way? It's the cruelest form of slavery. Why have one dog that is treated normally and another that is abused?

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 10-24-2004, 01:15 AM
Dog Spoiler

NO...Don't CHAIN YOUR DOG!!! Don't get a dog if thats what's going to happen to it. My golden retriever is a horrible guard dog but hes a great pet. my miniature dachshund on the other hand is a great guard dog but still a greater pet.
Old 10-24-2004, 08:13 PM
aka RedHotBabe

Here's something to tell your dad also. So he chains the dog in the yard, how is the dog guarding you? If the dog's chained in the back yard, someone breaks in through the front; if the dog is chained in the front, they enter through the back. (And just tell him that doesn't mean he should get one for the front and one for the back.) A dog that's outside can't protect you while you're inside. These aren't exactly the nicest examples, but someone could even poison the dog and then enter (like in The Beach House if anyone's read it). Dogs are companions, and I don't see why they would want to protect someone that doesn't even take care of them.
Old 10-25-2004, 11:35 PM
Top Dog

This is a very sad and upsetting thread. Its very unfortunate that every country doesn't have a strict set of laws that prohibit and heavily punish people that exploit, neglect, and abuse animals...all of which your father seemed to have done to his pets in the past George. I hope that you can talk to your father about this situation...he should never be owning another animal...definately not in the right mentality without a doubt.

Does your country have any humane societies or animal control? What about anti cruelty legislation? I mean, everyone just chains there dog and nobody says anything about it? This is very sad, and maybe its something you can look into changing..maybe write to your government, sign some petitions?

That is absolutely heartbreaking for me to hear... I hope something is done in the near future.
Old 10-26-2004, 02:20 AM
Puppy Dog

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbulliest
This is a very sad and upsetting thread. Its very unfortunate that every country doesn't have a strict set of laws that prohibit and heavily punish people that exploit, neglect, and abuse animals...all of which your father seemed to have done to his pets in the past George. I hope that you can talk to your father about this situation...he should never be owning another animal...definately not in the right mentality without a doubt.

Does your country have any humane societies or animal control? What about anti cruelty legislation? I mean, everyone just chains there dog and nobody says anything about it? This is very sad, and maybe its something you can look into changing..maybe write to your government, sign some petitions?

That is absolutely heartbreaking for me to hear... I hope something is done in the near future.
Portugal does have humane societies and animal control. The laws for animal cruelty are very soft even though one guy was arrested for for poisoning another man's dogs. He injected rat posion in the meat and gave it to the dogs and they died. Most of the big dogs that I come across in my town are usually chained up. I think the ant-cruelty legislation sound be more tough on animal abusers. Most of the big dogs that some families own usually sleep outside during the night and come in the house during the day. Alot of people don't like big dogs in their house because they don't want them to mess the house.

Rudy D.
Old 10-28-2004, 09:31 AM
Puppy Dog

Talking

I also think that the reason alot of people don't want their dogs in the house here in Portugal is because they don't want the dog sleep with them or make a mess in the house , so they kennel them outside and they sleep in their dog house. What are your thoughts about this?

Rudy D.
Old 10-28-2004, 09:33 AM
Puppy Dog

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by george656
Portugal does have humane societies and animal control. The laws for animal cruelty are very soft even though one guy was arrested for for poisoning another man's dogs. He injected rat posion in the meat and gave it to the dogs and they died. Most of the big dogs that I come across in my town are usually chained up. I think the ant-cruelty legislation sound be more tough on animal abusers. Most of the big dogs that some families own usually sleep outside during the night and come in the house during the day.

Rudy D.

What are your thoughts about this?

Rudy D.
Old 10-30-2004, 06:44 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by george656
I also think that the reason alot of people don't want their dogs in the house here in Portugal is because they don't want the dog sleep with them or make a mess in the house , so they kennel them outside and they sleep in their dog house. What are your thoughts about this?

Rudy D.
Then why have a dog? Tell your dad there is no such thing as a guard dog. Tell him that golden retreivers won't guard the house. Golden Retreivers are just so sweet,gentle and loving. If someone tried to break in you house the golden would show them where the money was hidden.