Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-23-2004, 02:15 AM
Puppy Dog

Default Do golden retreivers maker good Guard Dogs?

My dad is thinking about getting a Golden retriever as a guard dog for in the house and outside. Do golden retreivers make good guard dogs? What other breeds should we consider getting?
Old 10-23-2004, 02:26 AM
Are you dead yet?

No, Goldens don't make particularly good guard dogs. Also, if you only want a dog to make it guard your property, I wouldn't recommend any dog, period.
Old 10-23-2004, 02:28 AM
Labrador lover!!!!!

Talking

Yer i they do but i would recommed a dobermen pincher or a german sheperd, or evern Rottie!!They are the best guard dog'd i think, but i have an 8 year old black lab and he's a great guard dog!!!He bark's and growl's if he hear's noises out side when there should'nt be!!Anyway good luck with guard dog hunting!!!!!LOL
6 bunnies~fluffy, muffin,bugsy, buttons,twigglets,forsty
2 gerbils~cheese and pickels
2 g.pigs~buzz and dizzy
Old 10-23-2004, 06:31 AM
Felurian

If you want a PET who will take care of you and your property, I strongly suggest you go to the local humane society or rescue and choose an adult dog - if you pay attention you'll know the right dog. There's a special bond with a rescued dog, especially an adult. I've had many, and they're just, well, special

Another reason to rescue an adult (besides all the obvious ones) is that if you get a puppy, it will be at least a year and a half to two years before it is mature and a completely responsible guardian.

If you're just thinking about a dog for a guard, not a pet - get an alarm system, please. No dog deserves that life. Dogs crave attention and affection, and they deserve that. It's a small exchange for everything they give.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 10-23-2004, 09:19 AM
Puppy Dog

Talking

I was talking with my dad and he said that he does not want a dog that is aggressive and bites, he just wants a watchdog and a companion for our dog that we have right now which is a spitz. So would a Golden retriever be an excellent watchdog and a companion that only barks when strangers come in the house? By next year when we sell our house and buy a new one we will then look at getting the dog. There is a lady that has a female golden retriever that might be having babies soon so if she does we will get one of the puppies from her.

Rudy D.

Last edited by george656; 10-23-2004 at 09:45 AM.
Old 10-23-2004, 01:44 PM
aka RedHotBabe

Quote:
i would recommed a dobermen pincher or a german sheperd, or evern Rottie!!
None of these breeds you have listed are "guard dogs."

Here are blurbs from the AKC about each of them:

Doberman Pinscher:
The Doberman Pinscher is an energetic, elegant, fearless, loyal, and obedient dog who will make a devoted companion.

German Shepherd:
The breed has a distinct personality marked by direct and fearless, but not hostile, expression, self-confidence and a certain aloofness that does not lend itself to immediate and indiscriminate friendships. The dog must be approachable, quietly standing its ground and showing confidence and willingness to meet overtures without itself making them. It is poised, but when the occasion demands, eager and alert; both fit and willing to serve in its capacity as companion, watchdog, blind leader, herding dog, or guardian, whichever the circumstances may demand. The dog must not be timid, shrinking behind its master or handler; it should not be nervous, looking about or upward with anxious expression or showing nervous reactions, such as tucking of tail, to strange sounds or sights. Lack of confidence under any surroundings is not typical of good character.
This versatile breed has well-earned the reputation as family companion, guide dog, police dog, and, of course, herder.

Rottweiler:
The Rottweiler is basically a calm, confident and courageous dog with a self-assured aloofness that does not lend itself to immediate and indiscriminate friendships. A Rottweiler is self-confident and responds quietly and with a wait-and-see attitude to influences in his environment. He has an inherent desire to protect home and family, and is an intelligent dog of extreme hardness and adaptability with a strong willingness to work, making him especially suited as a companion, guardian and general all-purpose dog.

They say that they are companions, and being so they will protect the family they love. I wouldn't list any breed as a guard dog, and especially not those three. Dobermans are personal protection dogs, and GSDs are actually herding dogs. While they have the desire to protect, they are certainly not guard dogs.
Old 10-23-2004, 01:53 PM
Puppy Dog

Now my dad has changed his mind. He wants to get a Golden retriever and use it as a guard dog. He says that if we get another dog it will be used as a guard dog and will be outside and chained all the time. I've tried to convince him that chaining a dog is cruel and makes the dog more irritable. But he does not believe me and says that it will be chained case closed. What are your thoughts about chaining a dog? Do you think my dad should never own another dog because of his atitude about chaining them?

Rudy D.
Old 10-23-2004, 02:46 PM
Puppy Dog

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena
I'm going to be really blunt here, tell your father not to get a dog, any dog...He obviously lacks the mentality to own a pet, dogs are not lawn ornaments that you can chain up.

Dogs shouldn't be chained up, if that's what your fathers wants, may I suggest the lovely toy company Steiff, they have gorgeous stuffed animals that won't care if you chain them up and toss them aside, under no circumstances should he get a real dog.

As my signature says, "You become responsible forever, for what you have tamed", if your father is not willing to be responsible for an animal the last thing he needs to do is get one.
I agree with you on that one. In the 70's my dad had a german shepard that was chained all the time and the dog kept on biting at the chain and ended up breaking his teeth. He had to be put down. That shows how stupid my dad was for chaining him up. I'd rather get a dog as a watchdog and a companion and not to be chained at all. Here in Portugal alot of people chain thier dogs but we never chain our house dog at all. I thinking chaining a dof should be outlawed.
Old 10-23-2004, 02:58 PM
Are you dead yet?

Rudy, why don't you talk to your dad about it and explain that a Golden Retriever is a house dog, they will go to pieces on a chain and it certainly won't make them want to protect anything.

I would second Serena, he doesn't have the right mentality to own another dog.
Old 10-23-2004, 03:10 PM
My Ginger Bread Cookie

Well to be blunt, no living thing deserves to be chained up. Being a animal lover like we all are on these forums, no dog deserves this kind of treatment. Not to be mean but like for example, how would your dad like to be tied up and not be able to hardly move? I have owned 2 Golden Retrievers and have one right now, they are very gentle, loving, and very very loyal dogs. My previous dog Max did bark when he seen someone, but other than that they aren't suppose to be guard dogs. But me personally if your dad wants a dog just to guard the place then he should invest in a alarm system. Dogs are here for us to love and spoil rotten, not to be our bodyguards