Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-28-2011, 01:05 AM
Top Dog

And here's the video: View Today's Top Videos on Comcast.net | Featured Videos| Popular Videos | Comcast.net

The dog is pretty limp when he does down, and you can see him struggling to breathe once the leash is let loose. He also goes down BEFORE the dude ever touches his neck, which tells me the dog lost consciousness. He also points out as the dog is recovering on the ground that the dog is "still excited" because he's gasping for breath >.<
Old 02-28-2011, 01:11 AM
orange iguanas.

In some instances I can tolerate him... I've read a couple of his books and they didn't bother me like the show does.

I just hate the people that try to imitate him. My brother thinks the answer to every problem is to pin the dog on its side. One of his dogs is a no-nonsense kind of girl and is not interested in playing with other dogs... so when Juno was a puppy, naturally they had a bit of an issue, with Juno wanting to bug her. She gave Juno what, in my mind, were appropriate "back off" signals, but my brother pinned her down to "teach her a lesson." He does it for everyyyy little behavior. He insists that I should do this more often to Juno and Lucy, too.

Or the claw in the neck? My dogs just look at me like "what are you doing?" if I try that on them just to humor people.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 02-28-2011, 09:02 AM
Behavior Nerd

I think I've mentioned it here before, but I've actually purposely desensitized the tsst and poke stuff with my dogs; both are now cues to bounce around acting like a nut!

I decided to train this when we ran into someone at the shelter I used to work at who would actually do that to other peoples' dogs without permission. She was a volunteer and wasn't there all the time thankfully, but better safe than sorry.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:25 AM
Tru evil has no pantyline

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
I think I've mentioned it here before, but I've actually purposely desensitized the tsst and poke stuff with my dogs; both are now cues to bounce around acting like a nut!

I decided to train this when we ran into someone at the shelter I used to work at who would actually do that to other peoples' dogs without permission. She was a volunteer and wasn't there all the time thankfully, but better safe than sorry.
Love it!

I think if someone did that to my dog I would tsst and punch them in the face.

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Old 02-28-2011, 09:39 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

I would never treat my dogs like that and they mind just fine. IT would be a betrayal.
I hated the episode where he taught the great danes to swim...just hated it. Must get results in 30 minutes or less is not my idea of training because it leaves out the dog's figuring it out, making a willful choice to please, and getting the reward for THAT not just for the act at hand.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 02-28-2011, 12:31 PM
petperson

CM is right about some things. Dogs do need rules, boundaries, and limitations. They do need exercise, almost always more than they get, and they certainly need affection. But past that? He's just scary. I just don't understand how people can watch him jerk their dogs around, terrify already-fearful dogs until they just give up, LOOM over dogs---and never once think that he's abusing them. Are they blind?!?

I'm not a very good trainer, yet I taught my dogs to sit politely while I dished out their food and to wait for my signal before eating. It took me two sessions, one to teach and one to remind/proof. I never said one single negative word and never once had to roll them, block them, or even tsst them.

His methods are outmoded and abusive; his admirers are even worse, since they have even less idea what they're doing. It's amazing that more of them haven't had their faces bitten off!
Old 02-28-2011, 01:11 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
And here's the video: View Today's Top Videos on Comcast.net | Featured Videos| Popular Videos | Comcast.net

The dog is pretty limp when he does down, and you can see him struggling to breathe once the leash is let loose. He also goes down BEFORE the dude ever touches his neck, which tells me the dog lost consciousness. He also points out as the dog is recovering on the ground that the dog is "still excited" because he's gasping for breath >.<
For real, this is the video that has everyone up in arms? Yeah, this dog was choked out, no doubt. as it should have been.

There was NOTHING and I mean NOTHING done to that dog to cause it to react like it did, you can hate his psst, or whatever noise he makes or a foot tap to try and get the focus back on him, but fact of the matter is, anybody who claps, whistles, says "hey" sharply to break a dogs focus is doing the exact same thing.

what would you have done in that situation, stood there and get eaten up by a pretty large dog? I'm pretty sure when the dog hit the end of the line and the handler wasn't letting him get to what he wanted he would have come back up the leash you whomever was there.

What would YOU have done?

please. you make it sound like he was making dogs pass out to train them, that was about safety.

You can dislike a guy, and trust me, there are things about his training I do not like, but to start reaching like this? Please, I hate bullshit, at least stay real about it.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:15 PM
Top Dog

I would like to see what preceded the situation.

But, the part that I really hate is that he chokes the dog, then claims that he alpha rolled it and that's why he's suddenly so calm. The dog is calm because it's freaking half dead, not because he was alpha rolled (and he wasn't even alpha rolled, he ****ing passed out).
Old 02-28-2011, 01:15 PM
Just try me..

He provoked the dog. Why was he taking an on edge dog and trying to provoke a reaction? I feel sad for dogs that they are expected to 'take' this sort of treatment where no other domestic animal is.

He was trying to get a reaction to make 'good tv' if it was about training the dog he wouldnt' have done that. *unless he is stupid, and I don't think he is.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:20 PM
Top Dog

the dog wasn't half dead, don't be dramatic. I've seen more than a few dogs choke themselves out pulling against a leash. Nowhere close to death, don't make it sound like it was.

You can be upset he set the dog up to fail, or whatever, but i hate dramatic crap to try and "prove" one's point of view.