Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Agility and Dog Sports

Old 02-24-2011, 08:45 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgipower View Post
I've been told that a good cattle line Aussie can put some of the best GSDs to shame.
I'd say the proof is in the titling and results. I have not heard of any top level Aussies in protection sports. If Aussies were really "putting the best GSDs to shame", you would see a lot more of them competing. That doesn't mean that people shouldn't pursue it with Aussies, if the owner and dog enjoy it though. I'm all for doing lots of different stuff with dogs
Old 02-24-2011, 08:48 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgipower View Post
I've been told that a good cattle line Aussie can put some of the best GSDs to shame.
I'd say the proof is in the titling and results. I have not heard of any top level Aussies in protection sports. If Aussies were really "putting the best GSDs to shame", you would see a lot more of them competing. That doesn't mean that people shouldn't pursue it with Aussies, if the owner and dog enjoy it though
Old 02-24-2011, 09:04 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

I've seen Aussies do Schutzhund. I've seen some Labs with sufficient prey drive, ect.

Ozzy has done Schutzhund in the past. He's very good at it, and I make sure that I know the helper is expecting his speed, drive and body weight before I allow him to be sent out. He's very light, very fast, but he hits hard. He's also a dirty little jerk with the sleeve. Everyone loves him because he doesn't mind going for the sleeve, OR the man. He's an Aussie/JRT.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:07 PM
Top Dog

sorry, I assumed when someone was talking about ACD's earlier and you mentioned an Aussie on cattle, I assumed you were talking about an Australian Cattle Dog. Which I could see someone comparing GSD's too. They're tough little dogs, with good balance of drives and temperment.

Aussies on the other hand, I haveyet to meet one that would do any of the bitesports at what I think is an acceptable level. Let alone one that would put the best to shame, or even compare.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:12 PM
Let it be

If my dog had a less soft personality I'd consider it but he just isn't the right kind of dog to even flirt with the idea. Which sucks as it's always something I've been interested in but I wouldn't push him into something I know would make him uneasy. Even just drabbling in it is not something I'd take lightly.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:12 PM
Resident fainting goat

There was a dalmation in the schutzhund class in Miami

I'm no expert but I think he did pretty well!
Old 02-24-2011, 09:15 PM
Twin 2

I was and still am hoping to try Traveler in Ring but I've spent FIVE freaking months trying to get one of them to contact me back and it's going no where. Bitter? Me? Never.

The week after next I'm going to one of the Sch clubs though and see how that goes
Old 02-24-2011, 09:18 PM
Top Dog

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige View Post
If my dog had a less soft personality I'd consider it but he just isn't the right kind of dog to even flirt with the idea. Which sucks as it's always something I've been interested in but I wouldn't push him into something I know would make him uneasy. Even just drabbling in it is not something I'd take lightly.[/QUOTE
you can always have fun in the sport if your dog has some drive. If he's "soft", then the helper should work him as such. I layed on the ground for a month everytime I worked one dog, just to get it to play tug with me. That was extreme. Plenty of dogs don't have what it takes to do any of it, but it doesn't hurt to try. Some people spend tens of thousands thinking they're getting "THE" dog to do it, and it doesn't have what it takes.

a year later you wouldn't have recognized the dog. IT wasn't a great dog by any means, in terms what should be being tested in the sport, but it was a great dog for the handler and they had a lot of fun. She could have titled had her handler wanted to, but she just wanted to have fun, and they did. A lot.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:21 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
I was and still am hoping to try Traveler in Ring but I've spent FIVE freaking months trying to get one of them to contact me back and it's going no where. Bitter? Me? Never.

The week after next I'm going to one of the Sch clubs though and see how that goes
ring clubs are few and far between and tend to be a bit more exclusive than schutzhund clubs even

Even here, there isn't a single regular club in this state. I know of 2 groups that train it, and they usually fly a decoy in and do a lot of training on their own. I do some suitwork for them, but i'm not "the" decoy. Mostly just work on things they've learned with more experienced decoy's. but it's usually a pay to play type sport it seems.

There's a lot of schutzhund clubs, only a few I'd actually let work my dogs, but there out there at least.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:26 PM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
ring clubs are few and far between and tend to be a bit more exclusive than schutzhund clubs even
We have a few Ring clubs around here listed but after two bounced emails and no response from one I was down to the local Mondioring club, which was fine since that was what I wanted anyways.

I sent out an email, got nothing. Sent out another one and she responded and asked for my phone number to call. I gave it to her and have heard nothing for four months. I've emailed her and pmed her.

I'm a little rather annoyed. I would much rather just get a "Go away little girl" email than just nothing

When I go out to the Sch club next week I'm going to see how I like it. We have another one to look at if this one isn't up to snuff but it's farther so I'm crossing my fingers