Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 02-21-2011, 12:37 PM
F150 and a .30-06

It depends on the kid. Katie will be ridding a pony with me as soon as she can fallow commands well. Probably 3 or so. But this will be in a controlled setting. She has allready been on a horse "by herself". My friend was leading it and I was walking beside her holding on to her. She loves it. I was in actual lessons early. Cant remember. I was jumping by 9 years old.

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 02-21-2011, 12:51 PM
Love My Mutt <3

my cousin started when he was 3. He is also advanced, always has been, and they were his horses on his farm. Not formal lessons, but he was on the horse learning things at that age.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 02-21-2011, 12:52 PM
Just try me..

I did it on a case by case basis. I met many a 8 or 9 year old who is not ready. I have taken them as young as 5. Then again I start all students on the longe, and they stay there till they can set quietly with good position at the walk and trot. When they can post and sit the trot well and with out their hands moving. THEN they get off the longe.

There was an adorable little girl competing in the short stirrup division (so jumps less than 2 feet) who was only 6 and she sat upon her wonderfully trained pony beautifully.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:56 PM
Twin 2.0

I think it depends on the individual kid. This summer, when I was doing trail rides, any child under 7 had to ride with a wrangler. There were some kids that I would hand the reins over to (keep a hold of the tail end myself, just in case) and they would do brilliantly! There was one little girl in particular who was around 5 that I probably would have felt comfortable putting on her own horse; she was naturally good at the basics.

Then there were the 10 year olds that I would have to pony the entire way because they just couldn't keep the horse going on their own, no matter how much they were told what to do.

Who needs sleep?

CrazyDog Photography CrazyDog on Facebook
Scent Sweet Home--Scentsy Wickless Candles Follow me!-Fall/Winter 2013 catalogs available!
Have Aussie, Will Travel--A Blog updated 5/26/12

Thanks Alliemackie!
Old 02-21-2011, 01:53 PM
Top Dog

I agree with the 7 yr. old mark unless heavily assisted by someone. But it does depend on the kid to a degree. But little ones are indeed top heavy and muscularly and balance-wise, they generally aren't very safe.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson