Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 02-21-2011, 10:51 AM
I'm All Ears

Default Horrible horrible dream

What are your thoughts on this? I'm wondering if it was mild sleep paralysis or something. It doesn't sound scary at all NOW but it terrified me last night.

Last night i was dreaming normally. I can't recall what it was about but I think I was in class or something. Then this man showed up (blonde, in a suit, with a goatee) and walked slowly towards me (the whole room was pure white). He'd grab me by the left side and there'd be this horrible horrible sensation of pure horror. I mean it physically hurt and I was terrified. Then I couldn't move, it felt like I was being pinned down and crushed. Eventually I'd wake up. When I tried closing my eyes almost immediately he'd show up then I couldn't move again. It did this all night from about 3 am to 6 am. The only thing that stopped it was I figured out if I could get ahold of one of the dogs and have them kind of snuggled my left side where I could feel them there.

I think I was awake most the time too, which is weird. Or at least half awake.

So weird. I have had such a hard time sleeping lately too.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:06 AM
Felurian

That one is really strange, Laur. I don't know that I'd want to go back to sleep after that.

Have you tried getting up and going to sleep on the sofa?

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 02-21-2011, 02:46 PM
petperson

Have you been tested for sleep disorders? The questionnaire asked about really bad dreams and a feeling of being unable to move when just awakened, which are apparently two fairly common symptoms. (That sentence came out a little odd--hope you can understand it!)
Old 02-21-2011, 04:31 PM
Top Dog

Welcome to the evil, evil world of sleep paralysis.

The only thing that eventually stopped mine was sleeping with another person (I imagine having one of the dogs against you would help for the same reason). Now, I only get it when I'm taking a nap.

I suggest trying to alter your sleep schedule a bit. I take melatonin pills now, which help a lot. They make my dreams weirder, but less scary.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 02-21-2011, 04:48 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Sounds like it to me. Funny enough I had a bout last night. I used to get it up to 4 or 5 times a WEEK so I'm kind of used to it. Now I might have it maybe once every 6 months (yay).

Last I was aware what was happening because I know what it is, but I still get the panic feeling. I often think about a presence in the room but mainly because I know the symptoms not cos I feel it, but it makes me more anxious lol I ALWAYS do the drifting straight back into it thing. I have to rouse myself enough to physically sit up. I heard a man's voice say my name 3 times last night too, which I didn't like. But trying to stay calm and knowing what is happening is the best thing to do. I always try and wiggle a toe or finger

Lying on your tummy helps.

It is said everyone experiences it once. Mine is triggered by stress and tiredness, but last night was just a random.

My mum and sister both get it too. Mine was much worse in my early 20's but not sure if it was more due to circumstances at that time.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 02-21-2011, 04:54 PM
Sit! Good dog.

And agree with the person or dog in the bed. Bodhi helped me immensely. I can usually tell when I'm going to get it before I fall asleep weirdly... the person thing can become frustrating when they're asleep and you just want them to wake you. I find the best thing that helped was concentrating on being on control. Telling myself its ok, it passes, its just your funky sleep. And also becoming happier with life helped. Anxieties and stress or depression feed on your sleep!!
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein