Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 01-27-2011, 05:01 PM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Default Shelter Adopts Pet it Took Money to Euth.

I'm not sure what to make of this:

Doggie double-cross? Shelter takes euthanasia fee, but adopts dog out | Mountain Democrat

I'm happy for Sophie though.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Old 01-27-2011, 06:03 PM
and Spy.

My only thought was what kind of a person drops their dog off at a *shelter* to be euthanized and doesn't even give them the respect to stay until the end? What a scary place to spend your last day...

Also, her incontinence was just a bladder infection?.. And they woman wanted to put her down for that?

Huh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:20 PM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tucker&Me~ View Post
My only thought was what kind of a person drops their dog off at a *shelter* to be euthanized and doesn't even give them the respect to stay until the end? What a scary place to spend your last day...

Also, her incontinence was just a bladder infection?.. And they woman wanted to put her down for that?

Huh.
Yeah, I don't have a lot of sympathy for the prior owner . . . its just a weird story.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Old 01-27-2011, 06:33 PM
Top Dog

Oh well, at least the owner isn't upset about it. She even refused to take the money back and wanted it donated to the rescue Sophie went to.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:36 PM
Who woulda thought <3

Im kinda torn on the whole thing...

Im VERY glad the dog was saved, BUT I do kinda feel sorry for the prior owner in a way...
Old 01-27-2011, 06:39 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I don't know...I know of a vet clinic that did that. Someone wanted to have their young cat euthanized after it started spraying in the house when they adopted a new kitten. The owner waited in the waiting room until the cat was "dead", then said, "Good," and left.

The cat wasn't euthanized and after some vet care for a UTI was adopted out to a pet free home and is doing just fine. The fee for euthanization was taken, because the owner wouldn't have left otherwise and just wanted that poor cat dead. Legally right? I'm not sure. Morally right? I believe so.

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~

Old 01-27-2011, 06:53 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
Legally right? I'm not sure. Morally right? I believe so.
^This

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 01-27-2011, 08:38 PM
Taxiderpy

To be fair, she did take the dog to the vet for vomiting problems. I'd be really surprised if she never mentioned Sophie's incontinence to the vet.

Anyway, I agree with Blackrose on this. It's kind of legally ambiguous, but morally I think this had the right outcome.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:33 AM
Tru evil has no pantyline

Meh, owner got what she deserved. Would you put your child to sleep for wetting the bed and vomiting? Nope, because you CARE about the childs health (and it is illegal).

You won't care for your pet properly, let someone else do it.

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Old 01-28-2011, 12:49 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
I'd be really surprised if she never mentioned Sophie's incontinence to the vet.
You'd be surprised the things people don't tell the vet about until afterwards. Last week we had someone call on Friday to reschedule their puppy's booster appointment from Saturday to Friday afternoon. We didn't have time for a regular booster appointment that day, so we couldn't reschedule. Next day just before she comes in we get a fax from the emergency clinic because said dog ate a bunch of chocolate. We would have worked that in on Friday even without having time for a regular appointment, because it's kind of an emergency. If she would have just TOLD us what was going on when she called.

Then there's the not-so-uncommon situation of someone bringing in their dog for bloody diarrhea, bruising, or whatever. They don't mention their dog ate rat poison until doc specifically asks them.

It seems like at some point people just assume their dog has a chronic problem and learn to live with it, and it becomes so "normal" for them they don't mention it to the vet. We have tons of people with incontinent dogs that just live with it because they don't tell us. We sometimes make a point of asking about this issue in older dogs because people just don't think there's anything to be done about it sometimes, and don't mention it.