Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 02-14-2011, 06:36 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

Default Shiloh Shephard VS. German Shephard Dog

What is the difference between these two breeder?

Has anyone on Chaz meet a Shiloh and did you notice a huge temperment difference from the GSD.

What I hear is the the Shiloh resembles what the original GSD was.

I have met tons of GSD and I do not think I have ever met a shiloh, so Im just curiose.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 02-14-2011, 06:46 PM
Taxiderpy

I've met a bunch. There's a wide variation.

They're not the old style german shepherd. They're "recreations" of how some folks remember them. What they forget is the german shepherd was never a 120 layabout farm dawg. Dogs seem a lot bigger when you're a little kid.

Anyway, they've got some akita blood mixed in. There are a ton of BYBers involved in the breed, and I don't like how the club claims they are like old style GSDs when they aren't.

The dogs themselves vary widely in temperament. You see a lot of fearful/weird things because of the BYB aspect.

On the flip side they can be shown at IABCA shows and I've met some really amazing gorgeous balanced animals there. Not too overdone in size, friendly and confident, laid back.

If I got one from a good breeder who health tested and everything I'd expect a dog with much less drive than a correct GSD, stable, confident, etc. When they are bred right, they do make very nice laid back family pets. To compare them to an older breed, I'd say the good ones I've met were much more like leonbergers in temperament than anything else.

ETA: in the less stable BYB lines you often find DA. Not sure if it comes from the akita or just because the dogs are not bred well overall, but I've never met a well bred shiloh that had problems with other animals or dogs. The well bred ones were pretty low drive/non reactive to everything it seemed like.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:05 PM
Just try me..

I have met a few through showing them whippets. The RBCC shows. Most seem nice dogs. Not sure I agree with Romy about them being less drivey. They seem about the same as confo bred GSDs. Both of those versions being less drivey than other lines.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:20 PM
Taxiderpy

Well, when I think of confo bred GSDs drivey isn't something that comes to mind for them either.

The breeders I talked to said they purposefully breed away from high drive, because they didn't like how it was hard to find well bred GSDs that weren't so over the top you might as well get a malinois. I can kind of see the point, in that the Czech border patrol lines have gotten a lot more popular over here and they are much more intense than the GSDs folks are used to seeing here in America. The GSD rescue in Arizona complained about the same thing. Folks would get the import dogs thinking they'd be like every other GSD they'd had, but the dogs were much more intense and reactive, and ended up in rescue.

But then, it's not impossible to find GSDs with good off switches either.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:22 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayleyMarie View Post
What I hear is the the Shiloh resembles what the original GSD was.
You heard wrong. That is completely untrue, and, as a matter of fact, the Shiloh Shepherd resembles the exact opposite of what the original German Shepherd Dog was.

The original GSD was a medium sized dog, mostly stock coated (as far as the popular producers), strong, highly driven, appropriately aggressive, stable, of solid nerve, and a good all around working dog.

The Shiloh Shepherd, on the other hand, has been combined with many other breeds to produce a large, low key, couch potato, mostly long coated, no to very low drive dog that is meant to be a good all around teddy bear for strictly companion purposes. The breed was developed by someone who based her goals off of what she wanted and remembered the German Shepherd to be like, but as Romy said, dogs are always remembered to be bigger when thinking back. They are very different from what the German Shepherd was and should be as an all around, versatile working dog.

I have met several Shiloh Shepherds, some at the park or walking down the street, others at expos. I have had good experiences with two Shilohs, and that is it. Those two were friendly dogs, very out going, Labrador Retriever - like in their friendliness and exuberance. The rest (5 or 6 to 8 Shilohs, honestly cannot remember. There were several together) were clearly uncertain and uncomfortable in their surroundings, stuck very close to each other, or to their owners. It was not aloofness - pulled back ears, tucked tails, whale eyes, and a lot of shrinking back and shying away. All the ones I have met were pets only, some dabbled a bit in basic obedience classes, but none were involved in performance sports or even therapy work, which surprised me given the intended nature of the breed.

Honestly I cannot say I like them at all. But that is me personally. They are the opposite of what I want to see in a dog, and my experiences with them hands on have been less than convincing of their appeal. On the other hand, I know that there are others who have had GREAT experiences with individuals of this breed, so maybe it is simply a matter of location or chance. But either way, that's my experience and opinion.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:59 PM
Twin 2.0

There are some good ones out there, but like any "recreated breed", there's a big variation. I've invited someone from my Aussie board who has a Shiloh boy named Bosker to come and give her view. I talked to her a bit when she was looking for a Shiloh and she seemed pretty knowledgeable.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:01 PM
Top Dog

a shiloh is as opposite of what the "original" gsd was as you can get. The earlier poster was right about that. They don't even compare.
activity
Old 02-14-2011, 09:40 PM
Just try me..

actually I think the person wanted to recreate the GSD of their youth. Not the original GSD, but the GSD of yesteryear. Other than the size and the hair they are very much the farm GSD of my child hood, and my dad's childhood. Whether or not they are good, bad etc. But they are like the GSD farm dogs that I have known.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:44 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Well, my mom used to have GSD's growing up, and so did her dad and grandfather, and we have pictures of them around here somewhere. They're all southern dogs, so maybe the hair was different, but they all look like 50 to 60 pound upright squarer dogs than the GSD's of today, but still sable coated.

My mom loved her dog Queenie () and still talks about what an awesome dog she was. Her dad doted on his dogs, even when he didn't show affection to his children and wife. I guess that's how things were back then, anyway.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:02 PM
Top Dog

sorry, you had such gutless, no nerved, lazy, hairy behemoths from which to draw your comparisons.

I bet if you put a single sheep in front of them they'd run for the hills.

i've read enough of the "founders" drivel over the years to know she's a marketer and nothing more. She can't even keep her own story straight half the time.