Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Buried Bones

Old 05-06-2007, 12:07 AM
Jerk.

Default EX Smokers, I need help.

I need to quit smoking, soon. What worked for you? Im gonna be orderring Final Smoke tomorow, and schedualling a full physicle next week.

I now have cancer on both sides of my family. My dads side is relativily cancer free but it just showed upo in my dads brother. My moms side isnt very extensive but my grandmom died from a smoking related illness and my grandpa to a tobaco related illness, he chewwed, neither where cancerous. A cousin on my moms side has a thyroid type of cancer, it was in recesion but now its back and they cant risk opperating because its cropped up in her head so its a chemo only option for her. From the family emails neither my uncle or cousin sounded bad utill I talked to my brother today. My brother allways sees health issues in the worst possible light so I dont think either of them are terminal, but it isnt good either.

What helped you quit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
Sometimes BOTH sides are just full of sh1t.
AKpostal
Blog?
MyDrunkAdmin
Old 05-06-2007, 12:31 AM
Top Dog

My now husband gave me the ultimatum before I even started dating him telling me that he refused to date a smoker.

I generally never smoked more than 5 cigarettes a day (except for in social situations) so they way I quite was thus:
5 weeks with the 5 cigarettes a day (no exceptions)
4 week with 4
3 with 3
2 with 2
1 with 1

I did have a few relapses (like having a cig while drunk at a party) but cutting back this way worked pretty well for me. (but I don't know if it would have been the same had I been a pack a day gal or anything)

Best of luck to you. I tried to quit many times prior to this but I think it takes you really wanting it to happen and believing you can do it to make it work.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:37 AM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Your family history should be enough, should it not?

Both of my parents quit after seeing my grandfather go through his second open heart surgery. They were thankful to be awakened but sad at the costs. I will NEVER ever touch a cigarette. NEVER. It is a disgusting habit and it kills- both those that do smoke and people that are merely bystanders.

You have to want to change in order for it to be effective. You can't be half-assed about it and think, I'm going to quit, really. You have to be forceful with yourself and just drop it in the bucket and forgettabout it. Do it for you and your health. Do you want to have 3 open heart surgeries and spend the last years of your life miserable because of something that you once thought made you feel 'good'? I certainly wouldn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlbuffalo1 View Post

Best of luck to you. I tried to quit many times prior to this but I think it takes you really wanting it to happen and believing you can do it to make it work.
What she said. ^

You can do it, blue. You just have to be strong and think of the better in life.

Old 05-06-2007, 12:53 AM
Top Dog

I have never smoked a cigarette a day in my life, so I can't offer advice. But, I really do wish you the best in reaching your goal. I think the main thing you really need to accomplish any goal is the courage to see it through...

Cancer is a scary thing. My husband's Uncle just passed away on Thursday at the tender age of 65, he had cancer everywhere. He was going to retire this year and he never got to. He spent his whole life smoking and he paid in the end. Truly heart breaking to see the void now left with his family...
Old 05-06-2007, 04:49 AM
BusterLove

my mum tried qutting SO many times since i was born.

she hasn't smoked a cigarette in nearly a year. she cant even stand the smell anymore.

she quit cold turkey when my sister came up to her and said "please quit smoking, because if you die i have no-one" i'd say try to think of what you would leave behind

Old 05-06-2007, 08:41 AM
<--------Orson

Blue I am sorry to hear about your Uncle & Cousin........I hope your brother is painting a worse picture, and everything goes good for them. So many survive cancer now when it is caught & treated. My mother fought her round with colon cancer and won, I have had my "lady parts" removed for it, and so far nothing else has cropped up.

P.S. The gum doesn't work, the patch is crap...........(at least for me) so if you do find something that works, PM me.......I will try it too.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:27 AM
Top Dog

I was told by multiple people in my life if I didn't stop smoking they wouldn't be around anymore so after I finally believed them I quit.

I had never been a pack a day smoker,more like a pack every two to three days. I eventually dropped down to one in the morning and one at night for probably a year and then just stopped.

the only way I could do it though was to also stop drinking. Every time I'd go to a party with my friends I'd be miserable cuz all I wanted was a cigarette. I quit a couple years ago and just started being able to drink and not have to have a cigarette(although I can't lie and say one wouldn't have been nice-it jsut wasn't an overwhelming urge).

I have heard from a couple patients that the meds helped them a lot. But I think the people who have the most success go cold turkey-not what all the studies say but its what I've seen in my years of having to ask people if they smoke or not.

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 05-06-2007, 10:41 AM
Felurian

I've never smoked, Blue, but I've borne the brunt of a couple of heavy smokers who did quit - at least for a long while.

It seemed that the effects of withdrawal were the least when they kept grapefruit juice around and drank some whenever the craving started to hit them. It seemed to be a combination of the vitamin C and the taste. Just the plain old unsweetened white grapefruit juice, not the fancy pink stuff that is sweeter.

It's tough - really tough, but you are stronger, Blue

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 05-06-2007, 10:56 AM
<< My baby girl, Pinkie

Quote:
I will NEVER ever touch a cigarette. NEVER. It is a disgusting habit and it kills- both those that do smoke and people that are merely bystanders.
I can assure you that this self-righteous & thoughtless type of "shame/encouragement" never ever helps anyone with an addiction of any type, and I believe most people have an 'addiction' to something.

Alcohol does as much or more damage to its users & bystanders - why isn't there this witchhunt on drinkers??

Blue, there's a new medication out that's supposed to be very effective. My uncle who's smoked for over 50 years just quit smoking using it and he said it was the best stuff he'd ever used. It's called Chantix and you can read about it here - http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/stop-smoking/HA00020

Best of luck to you!!

I love my critters to death, thank God for them everyday, and can't live without at least one. I need them as much as they need me, and have found they're much better than husbands!!
Old 05-06-2007, 11:51 AM
Jerk.

For the smokers and ex smokers and Renee thank you for the encuragement, and advise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
Sometimes BOTH sides are just full of sh1t.
AKpostal
Blog?
MyDrunkAdmin