Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 01-31-2011, 02:36 PM
Bite Club

Default 100 healthy sled dogs killed due to slow business

100 healthy sled dogs killed due to slow business

WHISTLER, B.C. - An official of the SPCA in British Columbia says word of a slaughter of sled dogs in Whistler warrants a criminal investigation.

Marcie Moriarty, general manager of the group's cruelty investigations, says the description of the April 2010 incident is an "absolutely criminal code offence," although there is no indication a police investigation is underway.

Documents obtained by CKNW radio reveal about 100 healthy sled dogs were killed in a mass slaughter in Whistler last April 21 and 23.

According to the WorkSafe B.C. documents, an employee of Outdoor Adventures Whistler has been compensated for post-traumatic stress disorder after being ordered to shoot the animals.

The documents reveal bookings for dog sled tours collapsed after the Olympics and when the company could not find homes for its animals, it ordered the cull.

Outdoor Adventures Whistler did not contest the details in the WorkSafe documents except to indicate that the injured worker claimed to have killed 70 dogs, but 100 were actually destroyed. (CKNW)

~Aura & Riley~
Old 01-31-2011, 02:40 PM
Just try me..

That is sad, that so many dogs had to die cause people were stupid.. But really if they couldnt' find homes for them... what were they supposed to do with them?
Old 01-31-2011, 03:29 PM
Bite Club

Have them humanely put down, not shot in the face?

~Aura & Riley~
Old 01-31-2011, 03:44 PM
Wookie Collie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenv101 View Post
Have them humanely put down, not shot in the face?
^ THAT is what upsets me the most.

My sister-in-law sent me this link on FB today (they live just outside of Whistler). Apparently this company's pretty ass to begin with, in terms of brashness, mistreating employees, etc. and this just... barf.

They should have foreseen tourism dropping radically post-Olympics, as all the other companies in Whistler did. They should have known they wouldn't have a need for all of these dogs afterwards.

Just disgusting.

ETA: A quote from the article on my FB:

Quote:
“What is extremely upsetting is to read what he described - some of them requiring mulitple shots, his having to slit their throats, dogs faces being blown off and they were still running around, dogs that he thought had been dead, that he put in what he described as a mass grave and he looks back and sees her trying to climb out,” Ms. Moriarty said.
Whistler employee told to shoot 70 sled dogs in post-Olympic cull - The Globe and Mail

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 01-31-2011, 03:57 PM
Hits the Mark

Sickening. They could have contacted sledders in other countries or even Alaska where the dogs could be used. Makes me sick and angry.

Rachel McWhirter
WetPaint Productions

Chek Out Aero's YouTube Page!

The Fetching Merle Blog

Add Me on DogDayzz! ID:Rachel #13971
Old 01-31-2011, 04:07 PM
and Spy.

Wow this is so close to me... How disgusting.

I want to do something about it but have no idea what :S

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:57 PM
Just try me..

Being shot, (assuming the person knows how) is every bit as humane, perhaps more so depending on the animal, than an injection.

Since it seems the person was incompetent, then yes that is horrible. Just as those methods are just as horrible for cows, horses and pigs. It would be interesting to see if they would have had the money to pay for 100 euths.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:03 PM
Twin 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
Being shot, (assuming the person knows how) is every bit as humane, perhaps more so depending on the animal, than an injection.

Since it seems the person was incompetent, then yes that is horrible. Just as those methods are just as horrible for cows, horses and pigs. It would be interesting to see if they would have had the money to pay for 100 euths.
That's the catch right there. Obviously this person had no idea how to properly do it and thus the animals suffered tremendously.

I have no problem using a bullet as a euth method, AS LONG AS the person pulling the trigger knows where to aim.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:53 PM
Top Dog

Yeah I was gonna post this.

I agree with Dekka and said the same to my dad... it shouldn't be illegal to kill your own animals so long as you do it humanely; shooting is humane and 100 dogs eat a lot, and these were probably working dogs that had never lived in a home, been lived with kids, etc. In other words not easy to find homes for. So as much as I think the tour operators are either jerkoffs (for knowing they would have to euth the dogs post-Olympics) or idiots (for not realizing they were going to have a massive problem when things went back to normal), I don't think killing the dogs was criminal.

Obviously not ensuring that they died instantly was.

Keep in mind, though, that this report is from the employee who did the shooting and told WORKERS COMP because he has PTSD. If he's trying to milk the board for PTSD it would make sense to say that the dogs suffered horribly instead of "yeah, they didn't even know what hit them." It's weird that if he was so disturbed he didn't report it or bail out of the ordeal while it was going on. I guess we'll see when/if they exhume the bodies.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:57 PM
Taxiderpy

As far as I know, workers comp just pays your medical bills don't they? If he's only getting money for treatment why would he lie about it?

People do all kinds of crazy awful stuff when told to by the big boss. There's a weird kind of psychology behind itMilgram experiment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

IMO, it was the company's responsibility to ensure those dogs were put down in a humane manner if they couldn't place them. That means finding someone qualified, and the employee they singled out was definitely not. If they couldn't find someone who knew what they were doing, then they should have taken every dog in or hauled out a mobile vet paid to do them. It's a cost of doing business. It's bad enough 100 dogs had to pay with their lives because of some idiot's lack of planning. You make stupid business decisions, it costs money to fix them.

I'd be surprised if they didn't violate some law concerning the disposal of animal remains too, burying that many in one place.