Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 01-31-2011, 06:51 PM
Not a Border Collie

Quinn's breeders told all their puppy buyers about what they started the puppies on and why they liked it. We actually ended up feeding a better kibble, but I think it was good that they shared because Royal Canin (what they fed), while not perfect is definitely a step up from grocery store brands.

The GSD breeder I've been in touch with for years feeds all her dogs and puppies raw. I'm not positive if she requires it or just strongly strongly recommends it, because I've never asked her outright though. I'm sure she might be open to another diet (ex. I can't feed raw because of ______, so instead I feed a high quality grain free kibble like Orijen), but she definitely pushes raw and it's benefits.

Quinn - English Shepherd

Old 01-31-2011, 06:55 PM
Just try me..

I refused a person who was looking at taking Cargo (a return.. well kind of) due in part by the fact she wouldn't tell me what she fed.

I am not a rabid OMG you need to feed raw, or even grain free. But I will not sell to people who say they feed crap food and aren't willing to look into alternatives (for the new dog).
Old 01-31-2011, 07:29 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
(or to vaccinate/not vaccinate for xyz)
On a similar note...when I was looking for an SD prospect I came across one breeder (I think it was for Airedales) that required you to NOT GIVE HEARTWORM PREVENTATIVE! Really, WTF?
Old 01-31-2011, 08:03 PM
orange iguanas.

I wouldn't buy from a breeder that required me to feed a certain brand. What if that food becomes out of my price range, or the dog doesn't do well on it, etc.

When I picked up Juno, I talked food with the breeder. She wanted to know what I planned on feeding, and she directed me to the dog food analysis website and told me she recommends the Natures Variety raw patties. It's interesting because her dogs are actually fed Pro Plan, but I suppose it's more economical when you have multiple dogs, and maybe it's the only thing that they all do well on. But anyway, I was okay with her being curious and making recommendations. But to require a certain food? I don't want my breeder having that much control, to be honest. Once I purchase that pup, it's mine. I don't want to be told what to feed it, just like I wouldn't want to be told how to train it or where it should sleep at night.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 01-31-2011, 09:37 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

I agree with Laur- recommending a food is great, but I wouldn't feel comfortable buying a puppy if I HAD to feed it a certain brand. A list of high quality foods I get, and that wouldn't bother me, as long it wasn't 2 items long.

IMHO some breeders have trouble admitting to themselves that they are selling someone a dog, meaning that while the contracts should be abided by, if they took money for a dog they handed over, unless it's a co-ownership, that dog is not theirs anymore, i.e. "you must feed this brand," "you must use this vet," "you must follow this feeding schedule," "you must bring the puppy to me for a personal examination exactly every 2.5 weeks on a purple martingale collar and a matching LDS leather lead." They bred the dog, they put a large emotional and financial investment in the litter, but there's a point where it's just overkill once the puppy is out of their house.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:22 AM
Tru evil has no pantyline

I will make people sign a contract to not feed grocery store brands and Hills. Unfortunately, the best foods we have here are Euk and RC. Orijen has recently been imported but it is VERY expensive.

I will wean my pups onto RAW and I will choose prospective homes for the pups by finding people with similar beliefs.

Is food THE most important thing to me? No, I want my pups to go to a home where they are trained, stimulated, shown/sport dogs. Food is a bonus so if I find all those factors in two people and one feeds RAW, guess where the pup is going.

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Old 02-02-2011, 02:06 AM
Owned by Rottweilers

To be honest I wouldn't mind buying from a breeder who SUGGESTED food, however I will not buy from a breeder who insisted on brand xyz/raw. This is for the simple reason that what if one day I can't afford brand xyz/raw for a month or 2? Will I void my contract by just not being able to feed the right food for a few months? I plan on moving my dogs to raw and am already half way there, but one day I might not be able to pay for raw for a few months then what? Also what happens if the breeder disagrees that raw is the best? Then what?

I would rather buy a dog from a breeder who educated me about my food options and why raw or brand ZYX and XYZ is better than supermarket brand A and he/she would understand if I fell on hard times and make suggestions on food not as good as raw but is in my affordability range and "good enough for the time being". Unless of course he/she was willing to help me pay for the best food. I would NEVER buy from he/she who INSISTS I feed my dog brand xyz

Disclaimer: Current avatar was found on Google, I don't own the image
Old 02-02-2011, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specsy View Post
To be honest I wouldn't mind buying from a breeder who SUGGESTED food, however I will not buy from a breeder who insisted on brand xyz/raw. This is for the simple reason that what if one day I can't afford brand xyz/raw for a month or 2? Will I void my contract by just not being able to feed the right food for a few months? I plan on moving my dogs to raw and am already half way there, but one day I might not be able to pay for raw for a few months then what? Also what happens if the breeder disagrees that raw is the best? Then what?

I would rather buy a dog from a breeder who educated me about my food options and why raw or brand ZYX and XYZ is better than supermarket brand A and he/she would understand if I fell on hard times and make suggestions on food not as good as raw but is in my affordability range and "good enough for the time being". Unless of course he/she was willing to help me pay for the best food. I would NEVER buy from he/she who INSISTS I feed my dog brand xyz
One thing we do have a bonus on here is that grocery store brands cost around the same as Hills, Euk and RC. I say that if you are in a pinch, feed the better "Vet" brands. I once priced some grocery brands when I was on hard times and found that pedigree cost the same as RC!!! I was shocked!

I must say that our food bill has dropped a LOT since starting on RAW!

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:40 AM
Owned by Rottweilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppydog View Post
One thing we do have a bonus on here is that grocery store brands cost around the same as Hills, Euk and RC. I say that if you are in a pinch, feed the better "Vet" brands. I once priced some grocery brands when I was on hard times and found that pedigree cost the same as RC!!! I was shocked!

I must say that our food bill has dropped a LOT since starting on RAW!
To be honest I never really ever paid attention to the price of grocery store food. Bella ate Bobtail for 2 months. The reason I did this was because EVERY vet food at the time gave her a running stomach and I was just like WTF let me try Bobtail and her stomach sorted out after the 2nd day on Bobtail but I knew it wasn't a great food so I switched to vet food again and she was fine for the most part, she still has a crappy stomach now and then but it's not all that bad. I must ask though where do you get your raw from? I priced out feeding the dogs what we eat...rainbow chicken that we buy per case and we buy an entire lamb and have it cut up at the butchery. It works out pretty expensive compared to what I am feeding now. I won't feed premade as I found out that the person I was planning to buy from adds vegetables and I don't want that. I am going to Irene dairy sometime this week to find out if they ever have left overs from slaughtering that they don't use/sell.

Disclaimer: Current avatar was found on Google, I don't own the image
Old 02-02-2011, 04:04 AM

Natural Feeding - barf - raw dog food and cat food diet

He makes up a veggie and garlic free diet for my guys. Riley's Chicken, Travis's Beef and Lilly's Turkey. Yes, that is what is on the label!

LOL! He is an old hippy who still says Far Out and Groovy!