Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 11-02-2005, 10:47 AM
musictech

Update:

I have taken my pet to the vet, and he has had his fourth set of shots. While there he was checked again for worms and he came up clean. I have also switched his dog food from Bil Jack to Blue (week ago), and the treats I was using to Authority Liver treats (couple weeks). He has been on Deter now for nearly a month also.

Unfortunately we are still having many of the same issues. First off, he is still consuming his own stool. Although it seems as if he is only doing it at night and when he is left alone during the day, at least primarily, but it is increasing to other times as well. We leave him in the bathroom (6'x6') during the day (usually for no more than 3 or 4 hours), using a puppy pads. At night since puppies can't go all night without using the bathroom, we are using a small crate that he sleeps in, attached to a very large collapseable crate which we line with puppy pads. As I stated, we have been using for Deter for about a month now, and it has slowed him down a bit but he is still doing it (even with double doses). He still has soft formless stool, but it is only 5 or 6 times in a 24 hour period now. We thought we were feeding him to much (originally giving him as much as he wanted), now we have reduced it to a cup or two of food a day.
As for house training, we thought we had had it beat until we went to visit family for a weekend, where he switched from pads to going outside. Now he seems like he is only potty trained about a quarter the time.

So my question now is does anyone know another method to stop stool eating. As I am not there the majority of the time he does it, I can't put anything on it, or give him treats to deter him from it, or scold him when he tries to do it. It will have to be some type of medicine.
As for potty training, how do I get my pup back on the wagon, and is there a way to train him to go to his litter box (using pads not litter), no matter where it is?
Finally, why does he use the bathroom in his crate? He has done this a few times, when he has just been in there a minute or so. I thought dogs were suppose to not use the bathroom in their den.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:56 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I don't expect perfection from a 10 wk old, but it seems like he would have used the bathroom in the right place by accident at least once now.
Well, that's good because at 10 weeks old, he can barely feel it coming ahead of time, especially if he is having loose stools or digestive difficulties. He is an infant puppy. You've got some time ahead of you. Some learn quickly and some don't learn as quickly. I've had pups learn in a couple of weeks, to a month or two after I got them to Lyric, my Doberman who wasn't reliable until he was 10 months old. Mordy has a great system spelled out somewhere here on the same kind of method I use with my pups. It's well described. Do a search and see if you can find it.

Also, try a single source protein food. Natural Balance venison and brown rice worked for Lyric, who had loose stools. You've got to firm and bulk up his stools with some more fiber perhaps. Canned pumpkin is one thing that can help. Try feeding a small amount of pinapple. I've heard that will help them stop eating their stools. I don't know what it will do for the diarrhea though. It might be irritating since it's acidic. I guess I wouldn't worry too much about him eating his own stools. You can also help that by cleaning up right away so there isn't any for him to get at.

I'm sure Mordy will have some more ideas for you if she checks this thread again. Or you could p.m. her. She's good with nutrition and such. Good luck. Gotta get this diarrhea under control.