Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 10-09-2005, 12:04 AM
musictech

Default Puppy with some problems

Have a 10 week old pup, (pomeranian/chiauau mix). Having a couple issues with him. First off, he seems to have constant diarrhea. We brought him home last weekend, and the breeder had given us some Pride dog food, but said his normal was Bil Jac. He stayed on Pride all weekend, but went back to bil jac after that. Its a 6 days later and he is still having runny stool. It has gotten worse since yesterday but I believe that is because of dog treats we bought him (Milkbone dog treats for training). This alone wouldnt be to bad but this puppy also is practicing coprophagia (stool eating), which is making things 10 times worse. Finally, he will not relieve himself in the designated place. I will pick him up a second before he starts to eliminate, carry him to the right place and sit him down. Then proceed to stand there for 15 minutes while we look at each other. The moment I let him out of the bathroom though, he goes and relieves himself on the carpet. I have tried praise, I have tried treats. The only thing I haven't tried is the old method of punishing when the puppy uses the bathroom in the wrong place. I don't expect perfection from a 10 wk old, but it seems like he would have used the bathroom in the right place by accident at least once now.

Can anyone lend some advice? Paper training this dog is driving me crazy.
Old 10-09-2005, 07:48 PM
Show Dog

is there a reason why you are paper training your puppy? coz if you are planning to have him go outside then it's really best to try and do that from the start coz it'll be less confusing for the puppy. Praise lots and give treats if he does it outside, other than that keep an eye on him at ALL times as soon as you suspect he's going to do something carry him outside (or to the paper if that's where you really want him to go) have lots of patience, especially at ten weeks old....

about the diarrhea thing... if it has been going on for that long and you can't find a reason for it then take him to the vet and get him checked out. My puppy had diarrhea when we first got her, I took her to the vet right the day after, she had hookworms... When she gets diarrhea now coz she ate something wrong or whatever I feed her rice and ground beef, that seems to help a lot.

that's all I can tell you but there is lots of people on here that have a lot of experience so i'm sure someone will be able to help you out more soon!

Thanks to Keyodie!
Old 10-09-2005, 09:45 PM
Whitedobelover

well is there any vomiting >>>> you should go and have the vet check them out soon...
Old 10-09-2005, 10:38 PM
Twin 2.0

Also, after the vet visit, you might switch to a better quality food like Canidae, Royal Canin or Eagle Pack. Innova/ Innova EVO if you can afford it.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:43 PM
Whitedobelover

yes, also diamond is a great food and it is alot less in price than those you named
Old 10-10-2005, 02:30 AM
Mango

Probably Giardia? I had that with my puppy when I first got her too, she is on constant diarrhoe too.

My 2 impish kitties
Old 10-10-2005, 02:54 AM
Quigleyfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitedobelover
yes, also diamond is a great food and it is alot less in price than those you named
i'll disagree here. most diamond foods are low quality foods, the only exception being the premium edge line and chicken soup, but the chicken soup brand doesn't measure up to true quality foods either.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 10-10-2005, 10:44 AM
OOO YEA SHHHAKE IT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitedobelover
I'm not dissing your dog food, but when I got Dallas that is what the breeders where feeding him and he had very dry skin from it. But anyways continue this thread as it was LOL
Old 10-10-2005, 09:46 PM
Whitedobelover

some dogs are allergic hun... it could be any dog food...as you and i have figured out it isnt the dog food it is something else with dakota LOL...i odnt feed diamond i feed merrick. but i have spoke to many breeders and they love diamond and it works for their dobermans and they have never had problems..
Old 10-10-2005, 10:17 PM
Top Dog

i bet you a chihuahua/pom is adorable..
I am not trying to be rude or whatever but this may explain the diarrhea thing. Is he from a good breeder, or more like a puppy mill. I only ask because he's a mix of a small breed popular dog, meaning if he is that could have caused it
...yes i would check himn at the vet..hope to hear back from you on the lil guy