Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

View Poll Results: Do you bite your nails and do you collect nail polish?
Yes, I'm a nail biting fiend 18 36.73%
No, I never bite my nails, I use nail clippers 14 28.57%
I only bite my nails when stressed 14 28.57%
I love Nail Polish! 13 26.53%
I could care less about Nail Polish 10 20.41%
BLT on an Everything Bagel 12 24.49%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-24-2011, 01:41 PM
Very Food Agressive

Default Nail Biters?

So, do you bite your nails?

I've always been horrible to my nails from a young age and am recently trying my very hardest to let them grow out. I just feel funny wearing a nice engagement ring and having chewed off finger nails! So I've started to buy nail polish in pretty colors to keep me occupied with making my nails pretty and keeping them way instead of eating them down to nubbins!

So, if you bite your nails, have you ever tried to stop? Have you been successful?

Is anyone addicted to pretty nail polish colors like I'm starting to be?!

Practice what you preach or keep your mouth shut.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:44 PM
Chihuahua Power!

I'm a really bad nail biter.

I've been doing it since I was 7 years old, and it's really hard for me to break the habit.

The longest I've gone without doing it for was about a month... I had kept my nails all pretty and painted, and I decided to bite them off. I always say I'm going to stop doing it, and then I weigh it out and think "who cares" and I continue biting them.

Good luck with quitting. I'll try it again eventually.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 01-24-2011, 01:48 PM
MyHorseMyRules

Sometimes, when I'm really stressed, I'll realize that I've bitten my nails. I never even notice it while I'm doing it. But I have absolutely no interest in nail polish.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:50 PM
Backward_Cinderella

I don't bite my nails, usually I have acrylics, but not lately.
I have a ridiculous amount of nail polish... Like, enough to keep a full working salon happy. Every shade of every color of the rainbow... Jon thought I was nuts when we first got married, but I do actually use ALL of them. LOL
And... a BLT on an everything bagel sounds super duper yummy.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:04 PM
Top Dog

I'm a bad nail biter, even by nail-biter standards. People who say they bite their nails to the nubbens take one look at mine and......OMG!

I actually remember how it all started. When I was about 6, I remember looking at my big sister, whom at the time, I looked up to and she'd be biting her nails. Thinking that's cool and what older girls that are cool do, I imitated her. And it just turned into a horrible habit.

I finally kicked the habit for about 5 years, somewhat recently. That nasty tasting stuff doesn't work for me, nor does tobasco sauce. I put on nail polish and filed them often, used that cuticle softener stuff and kept the cuticles in shape. I kept changing the colors and having fun with that, as you are Izzy. As soon as there was enough nail to glue on those fake nails (the el-cheapo, grocery store kind) I used those. They'd fall off after a few days, but I'd put them back on. Eventually, they grew out and by that time, I was pretty much out of the habit from not biting them with the fake nails on. (Fake nails are impossible to bite...you'll break your teeth.)

So, they looked really nice for about 5 years. And then, out of the blue...I don't know what triggered it for sure, but all of a sudden, I started biting them again. As I recall, I think one had a little chip out of one and I wasn't home and couldn't file it smooth. (They gotta be smooth) So, unable to resist, I messed with it with my teeth and lo and behold, I've been biting them now for about 5 years.

I think we nail biters should establish a nail biter annonymous (guess it wouldn't be so annonymous here) club and give support and tips etc...keep abreast of each other's progress. It is a bad habit because not only does it look awful, but if you get an ouchie from biting too close, you can get that m.r.s.a. in there more easily. Also, it seems that in my case, I bite because I'm nervous, but once you start working on a nail...and you can't get that little, micro rough spot off, that makes you nervous. It's like a compulsion to make sure they're ultra smoooooth. So, it's a vicious cycle. You're nervous, so you bite and biting makes you more nervous. LOL.

I have some gorgeous rings that I haven't worn for years because I don't want to attract attention to my nails. So, you have inspired me. Now, to get un-nervous first.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 01-24-2011, 02:08 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

I bite my nails terribly. always have and I think I always will.

Odd though when I was pregnant I didn't bite my nails at all and they got soooooo long. then after that I started biting them again.

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 01-24-2011, 02:13 PM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
I actually remember how it all started. When I was about 6, I remember looking at my big sister, whom at the time, I looked up to and she'd be biting her nails. Thinking that's cool and what older girls that are cool do, I imitated her. And it just turned into a horrible habit.
That's how mine started, too. My best friend bit her nails, and I thought she was SO cool

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 01-24-2011, 02:14 PM
Top Dog

I used to be bad, I would bite them till they bled sometimes.

I stopped about 2 years ago. Sometimes I nibble at a rough edge when I'm anxious lol but when I catch myself I stop.

Actually I grow them long now, but apparently it is creepy looking so I'm clipping them back lol. It isn't for aesthetics (I couldn't be bothered to paint them) but growing them out (as a goal) helped me quit.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:18 PM
I'm All Ears

Nail biting, picking, and filing really really grosses me out. I can only clip them.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:21 PM
Top Dog

I voted that I only bite my nails when I'm stressed. It's usually when I'm at my parent's house >.< I do bite my nails other times, but not to the extent I do when I'm there. I'll be so proud of the progress I made during the week and then destroy it all on a weekend there.

I have these hair, skin and nail vitamins that make my nails grow to impossible lengths within a week. I always want to keep them and stop the habit but eventually they all go. Sometimes I wish I could have long pretty nails! lol

Crossbone - 2011 Cattle Pirate | Jack - 2004 Beaglador | Smallpox - 2014 Rat Terrier