Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-23-2011, 04:49 PM
Top Dog

Default "He misses the pad sometimes, but I don't care"

I just don't get this...

This is another reason I don't like pad training for adult dogs, really. I mean, whatever floats your boat and stuff, but it still just grosses me out.

I saw a post on another forum where they basically were just like "Yeah, he misses the pad sometimes. But I don't care. His poop is firm so I just pick it up off the floor/carpet."

I mean, it's one thing to have a dog who is pad trained who actually goes on the pad 100% of the time... but to just not care if your dog misses it, kinda grosses me out.

Most pad-trained dogs I read about too mistake rugs for pee pads and most have to wear either diapers or belly bands in other peoples homes so they don't make mistakes... why would anyone want that? *shrugs* I dunno, it's just something I could never deal with in a dog... does anyone feel the same way?

Brit & Jackson

Old 01-23-2011, 04:51 PM
BusterLove

I'm always worried I'll one day get a dog I just can't housetrain, I want my dogs to go OUTSIDE on their own reliably, as far away from the house as possible.

Old 01-23-2011, 04:56 PM
Resident fainting goat

I hate the whole pad thing..
I can't stand animal feces/urine in my house.. doesn't matter if its on a pad or in the middle of the floor lol still gross

and I've noticed that it starts out as a "stepping stone" for potty training, but a lot of the times, it becomes a crutch and people never get passed the "wee wee pad" stage

and EVERY ADULT SMALL DOG i've met that uses those pads... isn't even accurate. he goes next to them, around them, on the carpet sometimes, etc..etc..

Basic training (sit, down, roll over) I could live without. but for me, potty training is a NECESSITY.

I live in an apartment building, and ya, its harder when you have a puppy but duke it out. its worth it in the end to not have to deal with crap/pee smell in the house lol
Old 01-23-2011, 05:10 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

Yeah, we had Dixie and Lucy pad-trained, and Lucy was 100% reliable but Dixie was NOT by any means. So needless to say, we tried to switch them both to regular house training, but it was really hard when they were used to using the pads. And like you mentioned, Dixie would mistake rugs and things for a pad, and pee on them. Lucy never did. Weirdly, Dixie was MUCH easier to switch to house training, and Lucy would stand outside for 45 minutes without going, and go on a pad as soon as she got inside. But since she was so reliable about never "missing" or having an accident on the floor, it wasn't a big deal.

But I'd never have pad-trained dogs again. I know someone who has a dog who's pad-trained, and she's just....a mess. She constantly has accidents on the carpet, rugs, etc, but ALSO uses the pads without "missing". It's weird. She just wants to go where she wants to go. And the owner works long hours during the day with no one to let the dog out to use the bathroom, so...yeah.

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 01-23-2011, 06:08 PM
Top Dog

the pee pad thing is gross to me. The only way I could imagine using it is if I lived in a highrise apt where it might take a while to get downstairs to get the dog outside. Which could be tough while potty training, when their control isn't that good. But aside from that situation, I don't get the pee pad thing. If you can train them to go on a pad, how much harder is it to train them to go outside?

My Boys
Chowder: 9 year old Chow mix
Eli: 2 year old Lab/Shar pei/Corgi mystery mutt
Old 01-23-2011, 06:57 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fransheska101 View Post
I hate the whole pad thing..
I can't stand animal feces/urine in my house.. doesn't matter if its on a pad or in the middle of the floor lol still gross

and I've noticed that it starts out as a "stepping stone" for potty training, but a lot of the times, it becomes a crutch and people never get passed the "wee wee pad" stage

and EVERY ADULT SMALL DOG i've met that uses those pads... isn't even accurate. he goes next to them, around them, on the carpet sometimes, etc..etc..

Basic training (sit, down, roll over) I could live without. but for me, potty training is a NECESSITY.

I live in an apartment building, and ya, its harder when you have a puppy but duke it out. its worth it in the end to not have to deal with crap/pee smell in the house lol
Totally agree!

And like you said, ask nearly EVERY person with pad trained dogs if their dog always goes on the pad and the answer is 99% of the time NO... they miss it, sometimes daily.

I totally admit -- on those BITE freakin' cold nights here where Jackson decides to take 20 minutes to pee, and I'm walking around in 5 degree weather (with the windchill)... pads *would* be a blessing, LOL. but I just suck it up because I just can't stand the whole idea of allowing a dog to think pottying in the house = okay.

Brit & Jackson

Old 01-23-2011, 06:58 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjolly View Post
the pee pad thing is gross to me. The only way I could imagine using it is if I lived in a highrise apt where it might take a while to get downstairs to get the dog outside. Which could be tough while potty training, when their control isn't that good. But aside from that situation, I don't get the pee pad thing. If you can train them to go on a pad, how much harder is it to train them to go outside?
Totally! I can understand it with young pups with little bladder control, or if they aren't old enough to hold it for a while, etc.

Brit & Jackson

Old 01-23-2011, 06:58 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I think the only time I'd ever use a pee pad is if I have to leave my dog for more than eight hours a day and have no possible way of having someone let it out to pee. Then it would be ex-penned on a hard surface with the pee pad on one end and the food/water/bed/what have you on the other.

And I do use them with the ferrets. My two new ones like to poop BY the litterboxes, not in them...the pee pads save my life (and the carpet).

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~

Old 01-23-2011, 07:01 PM
Agility freak!

I hate it, and have had a lot of dogs in my life - none of which even started house training with a puppy pad.

Zoey - Mini Aussie / Psyche - Border Collie / Simi - GSD
Forever Missed Bella - GSD [03-11-07 - 09-17-10]
Going For 'Good Dog!' Blog
Old 01-23-2011, 07:10 PM
Resident fainting goat

We live on the 52nd floor of an apartment building.

Romeo does not use pads lol

but yea, I understand that in some cases, they are necessary. I would just not make the choice if I had any other options

honestly, I'd rather do one of those doggy litterboxes/grass things

I feel like with systems like these, it would be harder for a dog to miss or "not get it" and go anywhere. because its above the floor, they have to step ON IT and its real grass lol

and it feels like NOTHING inside your house so they can't really get confused about where its ok to potty

this one is actually real grass lol