Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 01-30-2015, 10:42 AM
Squishy face

Default Law Proposed to Let Police Enter Without a Warrant and Kill Your Dog (Missouri)

Article:
http://alternativemediasyndicate.com...hout-warrants/

Proposed Bill:
http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/doc...9/HB1261IN.pdf

Questionable Parts of Bill:
Quote:
(8) In order to determine if there is a violation of this
section, a law enforcement officer, at any time, may enter the
premises where a dangerous dog is kept, or is believed to be kept,
for an on
-
site inspection of the premises.
SECTION 4.
(1) I
f a dog is determined by a law enforcement
officer to be a dangerous dog, then the dog may be destroyed by
the law enforcement officer, or his designee, provided that two
(2) of the following requirements are met:
(a) The dog is running at large or not
under proper
restraint when on the premises of its owner, or leashed, muzzled
and under the direct control of the owner when off the premises of
the owner, as required under this act;
(b) There is no vaccination tag around the dog's neck;
(c) Attempt
s to peacefully capture the dog have been
made and proven unsuccessful

(2) Use of deadly force is permitted when a law enforcement
officer, who confronts a dangerous dog, reasonably fears for his
or her safety or the safety of others in clear proximity
to the dog.
Cops already shoot dogs way too much, I dread the law that explicitly makes it LEGAL for them to do so.

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 01-31-2015, 01:58 PM
I do what I want!

Oh, boy, thats all we need, MORE trigger happy cops . Glad I dont live in MO.

Old 02-01-2015, 09:43 AM
Mutts to you

I definitely don't agree with some of those provisions, but this law is proposed for Mississippi, not Missouri.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:12 AM
I do what I want!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snark View Post
I definitely don't agree with some of those provisions, but this law is proposed for Mississippi, not Missouri.
Oh, it is? Yikes ... now thats a little too close to home for comfort. police are often all too happy to gun down unarmed PEOPLE! there was a huge story on the news about police here shooting an unarmed young adult 8 times! I myself have had a gun pulled on me by a cop when he stopped me for speeding, I was reaching into my glone box to get my wallet, and I see the spot light from his cruiser come on, and I look at my window to see a gun pointed in my face. So yeah ... they dont need any more reasons to shot ****.

Old 02-01-2015, 01:03 PM
Mutts to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdragoness View Post
Oh, it is? Yikes ... now thats a little too close to home for comfort. police are often all too happy to gun down unarmed PEOPLE! there was a huge story on the news about police here shooting an unarmed young adult 8 times! I myself have had a gun pulled on me by a cop when he stopped me for speeding, I was reaching into my glone box to get my wallet, and I see the spot light from his cruiser come on, and I look at my window to see a gun pointed in my face. So yeah ... they dont need any more reasons to shot ****.
Well, there are those in the general public who are only too happy to gun down police - did you see the news story of someone pulled over for a traffic violation and opened fire out their window when the cop walked up to the car? Police dash-cam caught the incident. There are idiots on both side of the 'shooting' debate and I could see where a cop would be extremely nervous about someone reaching into a glove box...
Old 02-01-2015, 11:56 PM
Squishy face

Shouldn't police be used to seeing people reach into a glove box/compartment? I mean, isn't that where everyone keeps their registration? I've never had a cop pull a gun on me for getting my registration out of my glove box. They shine their flashlight there (if it's night) to see what I'm getting, but they've never acted nervous about it.

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 02-02-2015, 09:37 AM
Top Dog

That's crazy. I am not a total cop-hating/bashing/whatever person, however cops shooting dogs in their own homes/yards happens WAY too often. To give them another excuse to continue doing it.... It's really quite sad. I saw some were trying to train their officers more on dog body language etc and how to handle it. Guess that's not the case in Mississippi.

Some of the shootings could have been prevented by the owners, for sure. When I hear of people's lose pit bulls, etc, in the inner city and "my dog was just shot right in the street!" I have to question why your dog was loose in the first place. But a vast majority of them seem to either be non-emergency calls, or they're at the wrong house, or they're running through a backyard where a dog happens to be in it's own backyard (and rightfully startled) and then shot for barking at an intruder. Or a dog is truly not aggressive and you can clearly tell from body language but obviously cops don't know enough. More education on this certainly needs to be pursued. UPS truck drivers, postmen, etc, all deal with dogs on a daily basis and somehow manage without having to whip out a gun, so I really don't understand why the majority of cops can't either.

They are trying to make a documentary on it.

Old 02-02-2015, 05:10 PM
Mutts to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet72947 View Post
Shouldn't police be used to seeing people reach into a glove box/compartment? I mean, isn't that where everyone keeps their registration? I've never had a cop pull a gun on me for getting my registration out of my glove box. They shine their flashlight there (if it's night) to see what I'm getting, but they've never acted nervous about it.
I don't, and I've been told not to keep my registration in the car in case it gets stolen. In any case, all I'm required to provide is my insurance card for the car. Still, there's a difference between someone asked by the cop to get their registration/insurance, then reaching for the glove box, and someone (however innocently) reaching for the glove box BEFORE the cop talks to that person or asks.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:18 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Still, there's a difference between someone asked by the cop to get their registration/insurance, then reaching for the glove box, and someone (however innocently) reaching for the glove box BEFORE the cop talks to that person or asks.
I agree. I mean, not that I'm on board with cops being trigger happy, but I was told early on to keep my hands on the steering wheel until I'm actually asked to reach for something. Easy enough to do, and if it makes the cops more comfortable...fine.

Old 02-02-2015, 05:29 PM
Behavior Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
I agree. I mean, not that I'm on board with cops being trigger happy, but I was told early on to keep my hands on the steering wheel until I'm actually asked to reach for something. Easy enough to do, and if it makes the cops more comfortable...fine.
If I don't have the cards in my hand when the cop gets to my window, I ALWAYS tell them I need to reach into my purse/glovebox/whatever to get the cards when they ask. They have a job where anything can happen and if I can make things a little less stressful for them, then I will definitely do so.

If I'm reading this correctly, this new law only applies to dogs already declared dangerous, correct? I think it's a bit far reaching, but with already designated dangerous dogs it's a little less horrifying than with any dog.