Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 01-20-2011, 09:27 PM
& the Muttly Crew

I wouldn't care but they aren't going to get any slack for it...that is, I still expect everything I would expect from someone who is involved with only one breed...whether they have to work harder to have sufficient time and money to fulfill those expectations with two breeds is none of my concern, if that makes sense.

So for example if they have a, say, retriever who's never been on birds because they've been busy doing earthdog with their terriers...I don't care WHY that is...whether because they are at earthdog trials or because they were busy watching marathons of The Young & The Restless...makes no difference as I still don't have the information I need.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Monster Monkey, b. Dec'13
Old 01-20-2011, 09:38 PM
Water Junkie

Depends on the breed, for me. Border Collies and LGDs are bred together and I don't even think twice on the matter anymore.

If someone is breeding two or more breeds that are so diverse, I would question why. But really I think it depends on the person and knowing him/her.

Basically, I don't think it's a yes/no question.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 01-20-2011, 10:15 PM
Wookie Collie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizmo View Post
Depends on the breed, for me. Border Collies and LGDs are bred together and I don't even think twice on the matter anymore.

If someone is breeding two or more breeds that are so diverse, I would question why. But really I think it depends on the person and knowing him/her.

^ This.

I've seen a few breeders who DO breed two very different types of breeds, but are very invested in both for different reasons. They title all of their dogs, but in different venues per breed (one example I saw of this, IIRC, was Pembroke Welsh Corgis and Wolfhounds). They are extremely familiar with both, health test both breeds appropriately, and prove the dogs.

In those cases, I have no problem with it whatsoever. It's as reputable as breeding a single breed, IMO.

Finnegan - Border Collie | Porom & Barrett - Ferrets | Stan & Fiora - other half's cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014
Old 01-20-2011, 10:19 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
I wouldn't care but they aren't going to get any slack for it...that is, I still expect everything I would expect from someone who is involved with only one breed...whether they have to work harder to have sufficient time and money to fulfill those expectations with two breeds is none of my concern, if that makes sense.

So for example if they have a, say, retriever who's never been on birds because they've been busy doing earthdog with their terriers...I don't care WHY that is...whether because they are at earthdog trials or because they were busy watching marathons of The Young & The Restless...makes no difference as I still don't have the information I need.
This. Especially the bolded part.

Breeding 2 breeds doesn't concern me, but I'm not gonna give any passes or slack because they breed 2.
If you are going to breed more than one breed..you better make sure you can do BOTH 100%.

More than 2 I'd be a little concerned, only because "breeding stock" tends to be quite a few dogs.. so if you have quite a few dogs of every breed..that's A LOT of dogs. and I'd be concerned if they are all getting enough attention.

There are probably exceptions.. but generally, I'd be concerned if they bred 3 or more breeds.

I'm fine with "family" things. Like mom breeds chihuahuas, dad is a border collie breeder and they met and joined forces. and then their daughter was raised into the show/dog world and now breeds golden retrievers. Because I think that gives each breed/dogs their own person and someone to really get into it

For me, it all depends on the number of people and the ability to give 100% to each breed and each dog.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:21 PM
Twin 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizmo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllieMackie View Post
^ This.

I've seen a few breeders who DO breed two very different types of breeds, but are very invested in both for different reasons. They title all of their dogs, but in different venues per breed (one example I saw of this, IIRC, was Pembroke Welsh Corgis and Wolfhounds). They are extremely familiar with both, health test both breeds appropriately, and prove the dogs.

In those cases, I have no problem with it whatsoever. It's as reputable as breeding a single breed, IMO.
Yeah, this.

Who needs sleep?

CrazyDog Photography CrazyDog on Facebook
Scent Sweet Home--Scentsy Wickless Candles Follow me!-Fall/Winter 2013 catalogs available!
Have Aussie, Will Travel--A Blog updated 5/26/12

Thanks Alliemackie!
Old 01-21-2011, 08:49 AM
Tru evil has no pantyline

Nope. I don't care if they breed more that one breed. What I would look at was the quality of their breeding program and how healthy their dogs are.

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Old 01-21-2011, 03:53 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
I wouldn't care but they aren't going to get any slack for it...that is, I still expect everything I would expect from someone who is involved with only one breed...
This. I think my opinion is skewed a little bit because all of the breeders I've known IRL who breed two breeds are leaned towards one, and slack off on one of the breeds.

If that was eliminated, and they gave 100% to both breeds, I have no problem.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:10 PM
F150 and a .30-06

Not in the slightlest. Regardless of breeds or diferences. The dobie breeder I am currently dealing with has dobes and chinese cresteds.

I would look at the dogs.Do they do things with BOTH breeds? Ie, show, working, ect.. Titles, test BOTH breeds? How many litters do they have in total.

For me having 2 litters for a one breed breeder each year is OK, (as long as its not the same bitch). However, lets say they had 2 breeds and each breed had 2 litters each year. Then it would be a flag for me. Not a OMG run thing, but worth more research into them.

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 01-22-2011, 07:39 PM
Collies&Terriers, Oh My!

Growing up in the world of showing/breeding dogs, it never seemed out of place for someone to have more than one breed. Usually these were people with money and the ability to spend the time/effort needed to make all of their chosen breeds succeed. I'd be more concerned about the person who has a bunch of popular breeds, breeds often and floods the market for financial gain. But if they know their breed, yet fell in love with another (kind of like my current situation), then I see nothing wrong at all.

~Smooth Collies~

URO1 CH "Smidgen" RA,WW-RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)
URO2 CH "Dora" RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)

~American Hairless Terriers (coated)~
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "OE" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "Spud" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
Old 01-23-2011, 02:15 AM
Top Dog

Depends, how long they have been in each breed. How long they have been in their original breed and what they do with both the breeds and what health testing is done on both breeds.
Ivan's breeder has two breeds, granted she has not bred a beezer litter yet. But there are plans to.
There seems to be alot of Dalmatian people who have more than one breed. The group that seems to be the most popular with dal people is the sighthounds.