Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Rainbow Bridge - Dog Memorials

Old 01-19-2011, 01:32 PM
Puppy Dog

Default My Hoss-Man. *Very long and picture heavy.*

I said goodbye to my boy Hoss on September 11th, 2010 after a short eleven months of having him bless my life.

Hoss showed up on October 14 of 2009 as a mangled stray. I got a call from my Mom when I was at work, telling me about a pit bull that was hiding under one of my Dad's work trucks. She said he looked really bad and sick. So I asked them to put him in my dog kennel until I could get home.

When I got there, this is what greeted me.

Its hard to tell from these pictures, he was very thin, and had a severe ear infection which made his head all warped like that. After taking these pictures, I sat down on the ground across from him in the kennel. He immediately abandoned his food and crawled into my lap. He went straight to my heart. He broke my heart.

It was too late in the evening to get him to the vet, so first thing the next morning, he was on his way to get help.

After spending the night at the vet, (he was neutered as well--figured might as well have it all done at once) he came home the next day looking--and feeling--a bit better than he had.

As you can see, first order of business was taking off that collar. He showed up in it, and and I hated it.

He stayed in the house for the most part as he was healing up.

Old 01-19-2011, 01:39 PM
Puppy Dog

After he started feeling a bit better, I began taking him to our garden area--fenced and pretty secure. He didn't take long to start coming out of his shell.

As you can see, he also got a bath after a few days of healing up--he was one smelly boy!

Hoss showed himself to be a typical pit bull dog. He was goofy, loving, and so, so sweet. I don't think he'd ever seen a toy before in his life, but boy, did he love it when I gave him one.

He learned to respect baby gates...

He lodged himself deeper and deeper into my heart with each and every passing day.

Old 01-19-2011, 01:51 PM
Puppy Dog

The more his health improved, the more he became 'himself'. He was the goofiest, FUNNIEST dog I've ever known. He had such a sense of humor, and a zest for life. After all the trials he had gone through in his life, it seemed as if it had all gone away, and he had always been here with us.

The months flew by, and things were pretty much perfect. He couldn't be around the other dogs since he was pretty selective about when he liked them and when he didn't, but that was ok.

I think it was just four short months later when I took him back to the vet to have a limp that was not going away checked out. The first vet that examined him said probably nerve damage. One of his forelegs was very broken down in the tendons, and pretty malformed compared to the other. It would not get better, but being on steady pain manangement would make it bearable.

So we went with that.

His limp worsened. We took him to a different vet and had radiographs taken. We learned, to our devastation, that he had osteosarcoma in both of his shoulders, and down into the leg that had the supposed nerve damage.

We discussed amputation, but since it was in both of his shoulders, it really wasn't an option. We upped his pain management pills, using two different types (Gabapentin and Tramadol).

Hoss continued to live happily, and he loved living.

Old 01-19-2011, 01:57 PM
Puppy Dog

Old 01-19-2011, 02:07 PM
Puppy Dog

Then came the time that he pain pills weren't helping. He would cry at night from the pain, and he was slowing down and starting to lose weight. He was still SO happy and content....

Took him in to have a recheck done, and the x-rays were shocking. The bone in his 'bad' leg were so motheaten in appearance, it amazed us all that he was walking.

The vet told me that his leg could break at any time. He could take a small jump from the couch, step wrong...or even just be walking and it could break. My heart was breaking.

I gave Hoss a week of full living. He was spoiled rotten, and I tried to tell him how much I loved him, and how I didn't want this to happen at all.

My poor boy.

He went peacefully on a beautiful, perfect morning. The vet came to my house. Hoss and I went on a long walk earlier that morning, and then when the vet got there, we were laying on a blanket on the back deck.

Hoss was sleeping, content in his dreams, when we sedated him. He barely twitched, and he never woke up. He went straight from those peaceful dreams and into the arms of Angels.

I never knew what real heartbreak and loss felt like until then. Hoss made such an impression my life, on my heart and my soul....it was like losing a part of myself when he left.

I thank God every day for the time I had with Hoss...I would not change a single thing about his time here. I just hope that I showed him how life with humans should be, and that he knew how very much I love him...and I miss him so much.

RIP, Hosser. I know your up there, whole and strong and healthy. Wait for me, boy.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:45 PM
swimming upstream

what a beautiful tribute to what love can do for the spirit--both Hoss's and yours. Your pictures show a dog full of life, and love--what a precious gift you were given, and what a precious gift you gave. RIP Hoss.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:34 PM
Chihuahua Power!

Such beautiful pictures and a wonderful tribute.

I can tell how much you loved him, and how much he loved you by looking into his eyes. You were able to give him 11 months of love and happiness.

RIP, gorgeous boy.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 01-19-2011, 05:40 PM
No thumbs = No mutiny

I'm so glad he found you. Aside from the physical improvements, you can see the happiness in his eyes.

May he RIP.

River---Kya---Chloe---Fiona

Check out hairless dog rescue:
http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/AB20.html
Old 01-19-2011, 06:03 PM
I'm All Ears

What a wonderful tribute to a wonderful dog. Thank you so much for sharing your story. It is so heartwarming to see the change in Hoss through those pictures.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:21 PM
and Spy.

The change in Hoss throughout those pictures was amazing. What a beautiful tribute. You did a great things for that dog and I imagine he'll be waiting patiently for you at the rainbow bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.