Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-17-2011, 02:15 PM
Are you dead yet?

Default Entropion stuff

Anyone had a dog with this? What did your vet do to fix it, and would you mind telling me what the cost was?

Is there any chance of it correcting itself as the dog grows?
Old 01-17-2011, 02:26 PM
love the fluff

Its genetic, and won't correct itself. My husband had a St.Bernard many years ago who had it. His vet did surgery to correct it, but I couldn't say what the cost was. He had it done just before we got together and I never thaught to ask. But according to him, surgery was the only real cure. He could have gone without it and just kept her eyes wiped several times a day, but it would not have eased her comfort.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:42 PM
Top Dog

Surgery.
Get the pup in ASAP. It's like...having an eyelash in your eye - x 100. So very painful and can cause permanent damage if not addressed quickly. Eye infections are common during this time as well, continual goop as I'm sure you've seen. We use Triple Antibiotic (buy a new tube and only use it for that) when this is happening, it lubricates, soothes and prevents further infections.
If pup is 8 weeks old/2 lb. perhaps you can get the spay taken care of then as well.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:50 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

I think poquita is only 5 or 6 weeks old, and finding a GOOD vet to do it in Mexico for a good price will be the hardest part.

But I do remember that it can cause permanent blindness, and I've seen a few terrible terrible entropion corrections that left the dog with a malformed eye lid and weird tear duct problems...
Old 01-17-2011, 02:54 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

I think I mentioned this in your other thread, but just in case -- I know someone who has a dog with this problem, and she said the vet told her it was an inexpensive, simple procedure. However, that was in the US, no telling how much it would be in Mexico. Isn't human medical stuff cheaper there? I know my dad had to go to a dentist or something when he was in Mexico because he got dry socket from having his wisdom teeth removed, and it was much cheaper there than it is here, and he said they were really good.

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 01-17-2011, 02:59 PM
Are you dead yet?

Thanks for the quick replies.

The problem is, we have had 3 vets pass by this puppy, "examine" her and tell us she has an eye infection. No mention or even recognition of entropion until I POINTED IT OUT TO THEM. I don't trust the vets here, either it's an issue of there being a language barrier or it's an issue of lower standards and poor education. In either case, i would not trust a vet to fix entropion if they cannot even recognize it.

Human medical care here is just fine, but the veterinary care seems to be sorely lacking in quality.

Dachshunds4me, thank you for the advice about the ointment, I appreciate it. I'll do that for her asap.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:00 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

Maybe when you meet Amber to bring Cricket to her, you could take Poquita to a vet in the US? If you start looking now for a vet in the area you're going to be in, and find someone who does the procedure, you could get an estimate of the cost.

Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Old 01-17-2011, 03:02 PM
Are you dead yet?

This is what I would like to do, but the surgery to tack the eyelids is one that has to be repeated frequently as the puppy grows. At least, that's what i've gathered from my research on the internet. I don't have much experience with this and I'm just sick to my stomach over it.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:09 PM
Top Dog

Egads. I missed you are in Mexico.
Um shoot.
Get a tube of triple antibiotic (new, remember) and use it only for the eye. Keep smearing it in there 2-3 x a day until we can get something figured out.
How far are you from the US?
Old 01-17-2011, 03:10 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

Oh wow! That's going to be really tough. I have no advice, I feel awful. I hope everything works out for little Poquita! I have no experience with anything like this either, so I hope this isn't an offensive question (I'm really sorry, it sounds awful!), but if nothing else is possible, would a vet in Mexico be able to remove and stitch up that eye? You mentioned it might not have vision, anyway....so maybe it'd be the best choice so she won't be in pain.